Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some Great Actors Who Never Get Mentioned Here....

I'd like to start a thread on 2 of my favorite actors who are very rarely mentioned on these boards - except for me of course. I'd like your thoughts of these two spectacular actors.

Richard Widmark - why can't TCM have a tribute day to showcase his movies? My favorite Richard Widmark movies are "Pickup on South Street", Kiss of Death", "Street With No Name" and "No Way Out". It's hard to believe that he never won an award for his work.

Vic Morrow - the most underrated actor of all time. He was sensational in his first film "Blackboard Jungle", yet after that, he was never cast in the lead role in any other films - although with his charisma and acting skills, he should have been. He was very good in 'King Creole", "Men in War", "The Glass House", "Bad News Bears", "Cimarron". His most exceptional role was that of Sargeant Saunders in the 5-year television program "Combat". The young Vic Morrow was very handsome. He was lost too soon - who knows what else he would have gone on to do - he was very interested in directing and the t.v. shows he directed were very well done.

Somewhere in these threads there are quite a few people who have complained politely and frequently about Widmark's lack of a day or tribute. I like Widmark's westerns in addition to the films you mention.

I think Morrow was terrific in "Combat" and I bet that success probably got in the way of a better movie career. I did the see the "Combat" episode he directed and for its day seemed quite ahead of the game. It was pretty good.

I just ran a search on "Widmark" for the past 90 days and it came up with 124 posts featuring this great actor. So I ran a search on "Cary" to see how many feature Cary Grant. 123.

However, both Richard Widmark and Vic Morrow are deserving of recognition. Maybe we should call this thread "Great Actors Who Have Been Discussed Here, But Heck Let's Add Some More"?

Is it possible that the majority of Richard Widmark's films were produced by 20th Century Fox?

If that's the case, it is hard for TCM to rent them to run because Fox has its own classic movie channel, FMC.

If they were Paramount, Universal or Sony Films, then we have some hope given the new dealsthat TCM struck with those studios.

Just a thought.

That may be so - I've seen a great many Widmark (westerns and otherwise) films on the weekends over the last few months - maybe I was tuned to Fox. He is a favorite of mine as well. I recall seeing "Pickup on South Street" in the recent past.

Most of Widmarks's films ARE on Fox Movie Channel. No Way Out, Warlock, Pick-up on South Street, Don't Bother to Knock and a few more. Great Actor, hopefully TCM hears our cry's for a Star of the month- Richard Widmark he disserves one more than ever.

vallo

Another great one, is Dan Duryea. The recognition for his portrayal of Leo in The Little Foxes is very underrated. Especially since he was typecast as a tough guy, just like Widmark.

Another one of my top all time favorites is Brian Aherne! I like anything he does. He is great in drama, and equally adept at comedy!

Hello,

Recently watched a rented DVD of "Night and the City". A wonderful Criterion disk of a very good movie. Richard Widmark plays a small time hustler suddenly on the fast track...to the big time...of professional wrestling...in London! Yeah!

Richard Widmark is good in so many roles, but his performance in "Night and the City" is one of Widmark's best. The only drawback to the movie is the stingy screen time for Gene Tierney--Widmark's "fed up with the hustle" girlfriend.

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

I liked Richard Widmark in The Alamo with John Wayne and there was a show that he was in on TV years ago I can't remember the name of it, I think he worked as an insurance guy and tried to solve big theft crimes does anybody remember that show ? Also Dana Andrews there isn't alot on him that I have seen .Peter O'Toole Richard Harris Robert Shaw (loved him in The Sting) Michael Caine.

Oh, inglis, I am nuts about Dana Andrews. I always forget about him until I see him on the screen. He is just about one of the greatest guys around. I remember him with Gene Tierney in Belle Starr, Laura and Where the Sidewalk Ends. I loved them as a pair. But, I also remember him in The Ox-Bow Incident, State Fair and The Best Years of Our Lives! He was an American staple movie star that guy!