Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Very bizarre? No 1 cited anything on Westerns?

spencerl964

(*-A.M.P.A.S. victory) very strange that nobody has posted anything what-soever on fav. westerns,etc. Or anything at all about thee only film genre that is entirely indiginous to this country U.S.A>-(North America) & It's also thee very 1st film genre filmmakers started out with. 1903,etc.!!! As most know, I reckon' so the ACADEMY/OSCARS have never been fond of this genre-(NOTE: Only 3 have won BEST PICTURE to date?) 1930/31 *"CIMARRON" (RKO Radio) (**1/2)/ 1990's *"DANCES WITH WOLVES" (****-stars!) & *"UNFORGIVEN" for 1992 superb & of course 4-stars!) Well I am certainly gonna' give some respect to the oldest cinema/film genre & next to that would be silent comedies! Mack Sennett-(1880-1960) & his bathing beauties & of course *CHAPLIN!!! See all they needed at the inception in Hollywood for say a western. Was a guy on a horse, dressed as a cowboy & at earliest stage-(Pre *FORD,etc.) Most were actually filmed up in the Hollywood Hills!!! Tom Mix-(1880-1940)/ William S. Hart-(1870-1946)/ Harry Carey, Sr.-(1878-1947) & several others even before: Gene Autry-(1907-98) & Roy Rogers-(1912-98) Below is my personal compilation of what I rank as the top ten westerns of all-time:

1. "The Searchers" (1956)-(NOTE: Also ranks among the 10 best films I have ever seen! & M. Scorsese's fav. film)

2. "Shane" (1953)-(NOTE: Almost a tie for 1st, with *FORD'S above/ultimate masterpiece! But: "Shane," is just pure perfection. Most know on TCM Alan Ladd & much to his chagrin, was rather short at either: 5'5 or 5'6. Which probably lead to his suicide in 1964, at only age 50! He had attempted to shoot himself a couple yrs. before, the bullet ended up in his leg somehow though-Look at his last couple pix around 1961/62 & even his final: "The Carpetbaggers." You may see a limp. But in several scennes as "Shane," he stood on carts,etc & they rarely shot the 6'4 *JACK PALANCE near-him!)

3. "Once Upon a Time in the West" (1969)-(NOTE: Also & along with it's crime-drama companion pc. by Sergio Leone. "Once Upon a Time in America" '84. The (2) Greatest Music Scores ever in cinema history! By the yet to score an OSCAR: Ennio Morricone?)

4. "Red River" (1948)-(TCM Host: Robert 0sborne's favorite western/Hawks could handle any genre!?)

5. "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962)

6. "The Wild Bunch" (1969)-(NOTE: Of Sam Peckinpah films, some pick this as his finest. & some the superb but melancholy: "Ride the High Country" (1962)

*7. "UNFORGIVEN" (1992)-(NOTE: Turns the entire genre upside down & the myth of the gunfighter)

8. "High Noon" (1952)-(NOTE: Howard Hawks hated this soo-much, he made the great as well 1959 "Rio Bravo" as his answer! Stating *COOP'S character Will Kane was supposed to be good with a gun, why did he need help at all?)

9. "My Darling Clementine" (1946)-(NOTE: Not factual by any means! Just great *FORDIAN filmmaking as usual. & *FONDA is the single epitome of Wyatt Earp, on the screen)

10. "Stagecoach" (1939)-(NOTE: I'm not as big a fan of the legendary classic as many are! But it must rank in the top ten however! & *ORSON WELLES studied this over & over while filming: "Kane!")

(Runner-Up):

"Lonesome Dove" (1989 tv mini-series) the original one, not all the ridiculous sequels,etc. With OSCAR WINNERS: *ROBERT DUVALL & *TOMMY LEE JONES giving the performances of they're careers/big screen or not!)

• 1 month later...

Spence in ans to your Q about my handle it's just my nickname. Isn't it ironic that 2 of the 3 best picture wins came in the late 80's early 90's when the western as a genre was pushing up daiseys at ol' boot hill. Here's a trivia fact :"Clint Eastwood" is an anagram of "old west action".

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...