Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about blocking/ignorning -is it mutual?

I have a question

I was just warned in a private message about a conversation I recently had with a poster about a controversial opinion I had about a movie that recently aired.  I was told this person has tried to get several people kicked off the boards because she does not like their posts.

Thanks to Dark Blue, I have already been able to put certain people on ignore.

But I have a question:

When you put someone on ignore, can that person still read the posts that you yourself make, or they able to unable to read what you say?

The answer to this might make it impossible for me to talk honestly about any of the movies airing in the March spotlight on the Legion of Decency and Condemned movies.  I'm not going to post anything that will get me kicked off the boards.  I have never received a single warning point yet.

If people can still read my posts then I will keep my opinions to Thursday night movies to myself.

When you put someone on ignore, can that person still read the posts that you yourself make, or they able to unable to read what you say?

Putting someone on ignore means you cannot see their posts while you are online (although you can see their posts when you are offline). The other poster can still read anything you post, unless he/she also puts you on ignore.

Putting someone on ignore means you cannot see their posts while you are online (although you can see their posts when you are offline). The other poster can still read anything you post, unless he/she also puts you on ignore.

Does the 'ignore' function still exist?    I don't see any 'button' one can click.   

I don't use the feature,  just curious if it was removed or not.

Does the 'ignore' function still exist?    I don't see any 'button' one can click.   

I don't use the feature,  just curious if it was removed or not.

You manage your ignore fields from your profile page.

I have a question

I was just warned in a private message about a conversation I recently had with a poster about a controversial opinion I had about a movie that recently aired.  I was told this person has tried to get several people kicked off the boards because she does not like their posts.

Thanks to Dark Blue, I have already been able to put certain people on ignore.

But I have a question:

The answer to this might make it impossible for me to talk honestly about any of the movies airing in the March spotlight on the Legion of Decency and Condemned movies.  I'm not going to post anything that will get me kicked off the boards.  I have never received a single warning point yet.

If people can still read my posts then I will keep my opinions to Thursday night movies to myself.

No, it's not mutual. You free yourself from the displeasure of reading certain members that you've decided to "ignore" using the ignore fields. But that doesn't block anyone from reading what you post.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd want your posts to be unavailable for others to read, though. For that you have to use private messaging.

Not to worry. Nobody has the power to get you booted. Not sure who pm'd you, but you needn't listen to that silliness - at all.

Thanks for explain the non-mutual blocking aspect of this feature.

The post in question was about The Story of Temple Drake, and what I think should happen to rapists.  I posted it in the thread that Kid Dabb  resurrected in general discussions about the movie.

I got a response from someone suggesting that these people and pedophiles are sick and that I glorify murderers.

Then I got a pm warning me about this person trying to get him kicked off  so I then put that person on ignore.

I have a very strong opinion about rape and pedophilia which I expect will be frequent subjects in the March spotlight.

Thanks for explain the non-mutual blocking aspect of this feature.

The post in question was about The Story of Temple Drake, and what I think should happen to rapists.  I posted it in the thread that Kid Dabb  resurrected in general discussions about the movie.

I got a response from someone suggesting that these people and pedophiles are sick and that I glorify murderers.

Then I got a pm warning me about this person trying to get him kicked off  so I then put that person on ignore.

I have a very strong opinion about rape and pedophilia which I expect will be frequent subjects in the March spotlight.

Along the same lines, but different thread (I Just Watched).  I like to check that one out for possible suggestions about movies I might enjoy,  Yesterday, I came across a comment you made about Temple Drake, that my eye was drawn to and couldn't quite look away before being spoiled.  I think you honestly weren't trying to spoil, but by only leaving a gap between sentences and not actually saying SPOILER, it actually worked opposite to what you intended.

No big problem; I'll wait a few days and will have probably have forgotten it by the time I get around to watching it On Demand. 

Hope that other issue doesn't keep you from speaking your mind.

SORRY I SPOILED THE ENDING OF THE FILM!

If I wasn't so distracted I would have stated the word SPOILER in the post.  I forgot MY FAULT.

It I still a great film to check out.

The fact that The Sting's ending was spoiled for me by my being a fan of Remington Steele's episode of the movie did disappoint me when I saw it for the first time and I realized I knew the ending already.  But it is still a great film. 

In regards to spoiling a film, I wonder who it was who decided to allow the fan retrospective who talked about Stalag 17 and the identity of the spy to be revealed instead of editing it out.  The movie was specifically film in chronological order so that cast and crew who had not seen the play WOULD NOT KNOW THE IDENTITY OF THE SPY.

Now anyone who has seen that retrospective and hasn't seen the movie still knows the identity.

I will try to figure out how to increase the size and change the colour of the font with SPOILER  and leave a very large space with things like this

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

From now on.

• Like 1

...We need more tolerance of all opinions.

Learn that from this guy, did ya MM???...

agswDP4.gif

LOL

I THINK the guy MIGHT BE sayin' here, "YOU! Shut up and sit down! I DON'T want to hear your lousy opinion!", IF I'm not mistaken!

(...L-ingOL some more now)

SORRY I SPOILED THE ENDING OF THE FILM!

If I wasn't so distracted I would have stated the word SPOILER in the post.  I forgot MY FAULT.

It I still a great film to check out.

The fact that The Sting's ending was spoiled for me by my being a fan of Remington Steele's episode of the movie did disappoint me when I saw it for the first time and I realized I knew the ending already.  But it is still a great film. 

In regards to spoiling a film, I wonder who it was who decided to allow the fan retrospective who talked about Stalag 17 and the identity of the spy to be revealed instead of editing it out.  The movie was specifically film in chronological order so that cast and crew who had not seen the play WOULD NOT KNOW THE IDENTITY OF THE SPY.

Now anyone who has seen that retrospective and hasn't seen the movie still knows the identity.

I will try to figure out how to increase the size and change the colour of the font with SPOILER  and leave a very large space with things like this

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

From now on.

I've never been one who thinks that a film is spoiled if you learn some details of the plot (even crucial details of the ending) of a film before you see it. A film is much more than the "story," to me, anyhow.  

• Like 2

Regarding warning points and blocking, I wish this sort of thing was available on Hubpages.  They were not, and well, I ended up being banned from the site after deciding to comment about mental health issues I had had during mental health awareness month, and someone said I must be psychotic and then, well....................................................

There are some things worth fighting for, and then there is cyber bullying which is what happened to me there.

I much prefer this site.

Regarding warning points and blocking, I wish this sort of thing was available on Hubpages.  They were not, and well, I ended up being banned from the site after deciding to comment about mental health issues I had had during mental health awareness month, and someone said I must be psychotic and then, well....................................................

There are some things worth fighting for, and then there is cyber bullying which is what happened to me there.

I much prefer this site.

FYI:   The moderators here typically don't allow so called "legit" retaliation as a defense for going after a fellow user.    By 'legit' I mean one feels that since the other user clearly started the exchanged by being inappropriate, rude, calling names, a bully etc...  that retaliation is therefore justified.    Instead the moderators want users to either just ignore that user (both in the literal and functional sense) or use the report post feature.

Of course some users feel that moderators are not needed.     I have been at sites with no moderators and have found them to get very ugly, with a few posters dominating the site with rudeness and hate that ruin it for everyone else.    So I much prefer this site as well.

• Like 1

Okay, so once again I have a question:

Have you seen the thread that was created in General Discussions called American Demographics in the 1930s?  I thought it was a silly topic and the person who created this thread and I are two people who spend a lot of time in the thread Vicious Rumours, a thread bout made up things that will never actually happen on TCM.

You can ee the latest answer suggests that this is a political thread and to please shut up about politics.

How is it political to comment about how many people of various groups that appear in movies from the 1930s off topic?

Again, I feel like I am being told to shut up about my own ancestry.

Have you seen the thread that was created in General Discussions called American Demographics in the 1930s?  I thought it was a silly topic and the person who created this thread and I are two people who spend a lot of time in the thread Vicious Rumours, a thread bout made up things that will never actually happen on TCM.

You can ee the latest answer suggests that this is a political thread and to please shut up about politics.

How is it political to comment about how many people of various groups that appear in movies from the 1930s off topic?

GPF, I'll bet because slaytonf began his comic percentage thread with a reference to a certain modern political movement...

The Tea-Partiers have abolished the Census Department (retroactive to the 30s), seems it was superfluous....

...that was what probably caused the complaint within that thread and subsequent move by the moderator to this particular forum.

(...without that opening line, I doubt this would have happened) 

• Like 1

The initial post is political and to me it looks like the intent of the thread was political.   

Also,  the fact that thread is now it Chit-Chat doesn't prevent anyone from discussing their own ancestry.

Okay, Dargo.

I've put that person who objected on ignore now anyway and changed the Vicious Rumours thread to tap dancing only allowed on TCM......................

I wouldn't do that...placing the good doctor who's on the loose and in search of his wife's real killer the one-armed man on ignore...if I were you, GPF.

'Cause the man very often posts a wealth of very interesting insights on these boards whenever he's shaken that police lieutenant obsessed with his capture for a while, and you would then miss reading those, and trust me here, most of his input IS usually worth reading.

(...maybe he's just having a bad day...perhaps he came THIS close to capturing Fred Johnson today but once again failed...ya never know!) ;)

• Like 2

I wouldn't do that...placing the good doctor who's on the loose and in search of his wife's real killer the one-armed man on ignore...if I were you, GPF.

'Cause the man very often posts a wealth of very interesting insights on these boards whenever he's shaken that police lieutenant obsessed with his capture for a while, and you would then miss reading those, and trust me here, most of his input IS usually worth reading.

(...maybe he's just having a bad day...perhaps he came THIS close to capturing Fred Johnson today but once again failed...ya never know!)

Yep. It doesn't pay to be overly fragile. You could end up with very few conversations in which to engage.

Still, if blocking is the way one best stays true to oneself, who are we to say otherwise?

• Like 1

Still, if blocking is the way one best stays true to oneself, who are we to say otherwise?

You're over a month late with THIS observation, dark.

(...yep, you should have told THIS to the Carolina Panthers' offensive line BEFORE the Broncos ran roughshod over 'em in this year's Super Bowl, dude!!!!) LOL

;)

***edited due to my just now realizing it was darkblue and not GPF who set me up here...sorry dark ol' buddy***

Edited by Dargo
  • Like 1