I wasn't that hungry last night so I just opened up a

pouch of StarKist tuna in sunflower oil. Didn't even

make a sandwich. Yummy. When you eat the tuna

by itself you notice the difference between tuna

in oil and tuna in water, but when you put it in a

sandwich with some mayo, they taste about the

same. Whatever. I eat to live, not live to eat. So

far, so good.

tuna in a can would make a good K ration. :)

I wasn't that hungry last night so I just opened up a

pouch of StarKist tuna in sunflower oil. Didn't even

make a sandwich. Yummy. When you eat the tuna

by itself you notice the difference between tuna

in oil and tuna in water, but when you put it in a

sandwich with some mayo, they taste about the

same. Whatever. I eat to live, not live to eat. So

far, so good.

I've recently switched to a (just about) no-carb diet which includes giving up all forms of bread and pasta, and I now eat tuna fish just by itself, with a salad.  I like tuna in water (chunk light, not albacore), with mayo.  Switched from Starkist to Chicken of the Sea.  The tuna is so much more flavorful eaten alone and not as a sandwich.  Hm, I think I know what I'm going to have for dinner tonight... :)

I've recently switched to a (just about) no-carb diet which includes giving up all forms of bread and pasta, and I now eat tuna fish just by itself, with a salad.  I like tuna in water (chunk light, not albacore), with mayo.  Switched from Starkist to Chicken of the Sea.  The tuna is so much more flavorful eaten alone and not as a sandwich.  Hm, I think I know what I'm going to have for dinner tonight... :)

I love bread and pasta, especially spaghetti, though I try to

indulge moderately. I might have spaghetti once a month or

so. The sandwich does definitely "hide" the taste of tuna

compared to eating it by itself.

Went with the old weekend standby of a BLT, fries, pecan

pie, and a sweet tea. I occasionally substitute a burger

for the BLT, but I figure the BLT is marginally healthier.

And sure enough, the bacon was under cooked again.

indulge moderately.

I love the stuff, too, but having given it up I'm feeling so much better.  Still, I'm not going to be a martyr when I have friends over at my place - that's my chance to indulge in a little pizza. :)

indulge moderately. I might have spaghetti once a month or

so. The sandwich does definitely "hide" the taste of tuna

compared to eating it by itself.

Here is a simple spaghetti and tuna dish. 

Sautee lots of finely chopped garlic (6 cloves at least),  in olive oil and chili flakes

Put in a large can of crushed tomatoes and some chopped parley  (fresh is better but dry will do).

Cook covered at least 30 minutes adding water if necessary   

Add 2 well drained cans of tuna,   chopped black olives and cappers (it is still good if one doesn't have these).

Serve over spaghetti.

This is how they do it in Southern Italy and it is great and very inexpensive.    

Sautee lots of finely chopped garlic (6 cloves at least),  in olive oil and chili flakes

Put in a large can of crushed tomatoes and some chopped parley  (fresh is better but dry will do).

Add 2 well drained cans of tuna,   chopped black olives and cappers (it is still good if one doesn't have these).

Serve over spaghetti.

Years ago I was in India and I had spaghetti with sauce and melted mozzarella cheese all through it.  I thought I died and went to heaven. :)

I love the stuff, too, but having given it up I'm feeling so much better.  Still, I'm not going to be a martyr when I have friends over at my place - that's my chance to indulge in a little pizza. :)

It's probably better to indulge once in a while than

try to completely eliminate some type of food from

one's diet. Then you might end up eating a half

gallon of ice cream at one time.

Serve over spaghetti.

My flaw as a cook is that I hate to spend time preparing food.

I just throw some spaghetti into boiling water and let it go.

I do strain out the little bits of onion from the Ragu sauce.

That's why I'd rather wash clothes than cook. You can do

other things while washing than you can cooking.

My flaw as a cook is that I hate to spend time preparing food.

I just throw some spaghetti into boiling water and let it go.

I do strain out the little bits of onion from the Ragu sauce.

That's why I'd rather wash clothes than cook. You can do

other things while washing than you can cooking.

The actual time one has to spend doing something to make this meal is around 10 minutes, tops.

Anyhow I enjoy cooking.   I just put on some music and off I go.     To me the reward (unprocessed food),  is well worth the effort.

I make my own ragu sauce and this is also very easy.  In fact most Southern Italian dishes are easy since they tend to only use 3 - 4 ingredients.    I wouldn't eat that processed Ragu sauce when I can make my own for 50% less and it taste 200% better.

friday nite which can mean only one thing...
the best most healthy minimalist meal there is, nipkowdisc's tunafish on saltines.
my drink will be coke.

"tunafish on saltines for supper tonite; a satisfying day." -yukon nippy :D

How many tuna-laden saltines make a meal?

The actual time one has to spend doing something to make this meal is around 10 minutes, tops.

Anyhow I enjoy cooking.   I just put on some music and off I go.     To me the reward (unprocessed food),  is well worth the effort.

I make my own ragu sauce and this is also very easy.  In fact most Southern Italian dishes are easy since they tend to only use 3 - 4 ingredients.    I wouldn't eat that processed Ragu sauce when I can make my own for 50% less and it taste 200% better.

Ten minutes isn't too bad, it's these meals that can take

hours to make and/or watch. I'm going to stick with Ragu.

Guess I'm used to it now.

Nip et al.,

I have not seen any postings lately. I am worried that you have curbed your appetite and no longer wish to post your culinary attributes!

Please share, as this is one of my fave threads around here...

well, last nite I had two steak-umm sub sandwiches using amoroso bread rolls and tonite some delicious tunafish sandwiches on white bread. :D

I usually have tuna on toast. If it ain't toasted, the

bread can be too soft and things start to fall apart.

I took a relative to a doctor's appointment and

wouldn't you know, there just happened to be a

Pizza Hut on the route home. Ordered one large

cheese pizza, chicken wings, and bread sticks with

a big Pepsi. There's something about this particular

Pizza Hut's sweet tea that leaves a strange taste

in your mouth, so I now stick to Pepsi. Good eating

all around.

well, last nite I had two steak-umm sub sandwiches using amoroso bread rolls and tonite some delicious tunafish sandwiches on white bread. :D

I have been intrigued by Steak-umm which is foreign cuisine to me! I looked at the manufacture/production of your steak-umm...very interesting Nip.

I have been intrigued by Steak-umm which is foreign cuisine to me! I looked at the manufacture/production of your steak-umm...very interesting Nip.

most people ain't a gonna care as long as their grub tastes good. :D

tonite for me a perennial favorite. provolone sub sandwiches made from sliced provolone, canola oil, italian seasoning and amoroso's bread rolls.

can't be beat. :D

just call me the happy gut. :)

Interesting?   Well I guess that is one way of describing steak-umm.   Here is another:

In the 2012 lawsuit, Judge Lawrence Stengel described the product as "chopped and formed emulsified meat product that is comprised of beef trimmings left over after an animal is slaughtered and all of the primary cuts, such as tenderloin, filet, and rib eye, are removed. . . . The emulsified meat is pressed into a loaf and sliced, frozen and packaged

Interesting?   Well I guess that is one way of describing steak-umm.   Here is another:

In the 2012 lawsuit, Judge Lawrence Stengel described the product as "chopped and formed emulsified meat product that is comprised of beef trimmings left over after an animal is slaughtered and all of the primary cuts, such as tenderloin, filet, and rib eye, are removed. . . . The emulsified meat is pressed into a loaf and sliced, frozen and packaged

mmmm...delicious emulsified loafed meats.

Archived