Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my food

NipkowDisc

Soon after I obtained my driver's license at age 16, I began hanging out at a place called Hungry Herman's at the front entrance to the University of Maryland. I pretty much existed on their steak & cheese subs for 3 years. I would spend hours eating and playing pinball. 

There's no substitute for the juices of freshly sliced tomatoes, mayo, and grease running down your forearm - dripping off your elbow as you bang that pinball into the bonus hole.

Soon after I obtained my driver's license at age 16, I began hanging out at a place called Hungry Herman's at the front entrance to the University of Maryland. I pretty much existed on their steak & cheese subs for 3 years. I would spend hours eating and playing pinball. 

There's no substitute for the juices of freshly sliced tomatoes, mayo, and grease running down your forearm - dripping off your elbow as you bang that pinball into the bonus hole.

Yes, a steak & cheese sub is great and something I still love to get.   But the places I go to use Rib-Eye steak and not emulsified loafed meats.

Do you recall Delaney's Irish Pizza Pub, on 197 in Laurel?  I know it no longer exists, but the memory of that cracker-like pizza crust remains.

Do you recall Delaney's Irish Pizza Pub, on 197 in Laurel?  I know it no longer exists, but the memory of that cracker-like pizza crust remains.

I can't say as I've had the pleasure to have eaten there, though I've heard it's a legend. 

The pizza box from Pizza Hut had almost no grease stains,

just a small one on the inside bottom, hardly worth

mentioning. An example of the increased feminization

of America? Probably not.

I got tired of BLTs and burgers, so I got a couple of hot

doggies from the local restaurant. Trouble was, I forgot

to tell them to leave off all the junk they put on. So I

had two hot dogs crammed high with chili, onions, and

who knows what else, and a tiny line of mustard. It

became necessary to perform a little clean-up job.

Dig the doggie out of the mess it was covered with and

rinse it off. Get rid of the roll because it was stained with

all that crap. I had some rolls in the fridge, so I used those.

Clean doggie, clean roll. Only need to add lots of mustard,

because that's the way I like it. Not the best doggies in

the world, but a big improvement over what I had originally.

Sometimes when they build it, you have to rebuild it.

OMG. Is that heaven or what? And it originated in Brooklyn. Ah, New York Pizza. Pure brilliance.

When I moved from New York to California, I was desperate to find pizza as good as New York's. No such luck, but this was back in the 1990s so maybe things have changed..

OMG. Is that heaven or what? And it originated in Brooklyn. Ah, New York Pizza. Pure brilliance.

When I moved from New York to California, I was desperate to find pizza as good as New York's. No such luck, but this was back in the 1990s so maybe things have changed..

For a long time, construction of "real" pizza ovens were prohibited in U.S. eateries. Those with existing ovens, built by Italian immigrants, were grandfathered into the new law. This resulted in many new establishments using ovens which do not achieve the high temperature(s) required to properly prepare a good New York-style pizza crust. If I remember correctly, the temperature range should be around 700º F to 900º F - 900 is better. This will fully cook the pizza, giving a nice blackened char on the underside, in about 2 minutes or less.

I haven't kept up on this so hotter ovens may be available these days, although most pizza places probably don't use them.

The last time I checked, Carrabba's wood-fired pizza ovens run at 600º F. 

For a long time, construction of "real" pizza ovens were prohibited in U.S. eateries. Those with existing ovens, built by Italian immigrants, were grandfathered into the new law. This resulted in many new establishments using ovens which do not achieve the high temperature(s) required to properly prepare a good New York-style pizza crust. If I remember correctly, the temperature range should be around 700º F to 900º F - 900 is better. This will fully cook the pizza, giving a nice blackened char on the underside, in about 2 minutes or less.

I haven't kept up on this so hotter ovens may be available these days, although most pizza places probably don't use them.

The last time I checked, Carrabba's wood-fired pizza ovens run at 600º F. 

Here's a nice article and video about an authentic pizza place where you wouldn't expect to find one:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/craftsman-from-italy-fixes-lincoln-winebars-pizza-oven-20150207

There are a lot of excellent reviews of this eatery, and I intend to check it out one day soon.

I have had some fine wood-fired pizza at Maggie's Farm Wood-Fired Pizza in Cedar Rapids, but couldn't say if the temps are as high as the Lincoln Winebar.

Here's a nice article and video about an authentic pizza place where you wouldn't expect to find one:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/craftsman-from-italy-fixes-lincoln-winebars-pizza-oven-20150207

There are a lot of excellent reviews of this eatery, and I intend to check it out one day soon.

I have had some fine wood-fired pizza at Maggie's Farm Wood-Fired Pizza in Cedar Rapids, but couldn't say if the temps are as high as the Lincoln Winebar.

Great article. Thank you. Their oven runs around 900-950 degrees-F and cooks a pizza in 60-90 seconds - perfecto!

:D

I doan like melted cheese in any form so that's why I will scrape it off and give it to others while I feast on the delicious tomato sauce-covered crust. :D

my cheese must be hard and cold and solid. :)

tonite I sup on two delicious provolone sub sandwiches with canola oil and plenty of sprinkled oregano. :D

I make 'em up myself doan cha know. :)

Just put the pizza slice in the frig for a couple of days.

It will pretty cold and hard. I love cheese pizza with

nothing else on it. Stopped by the Chinese place

for a couple of egg rolls. Opened the fortune cookie

and there was no fortune in it. That can't be good.

Speaking of cheese, I assume you've heard Trevor Noah's comparison of Trump to his taco:  both are "cheesy slop squeezed into an orange shell."

I missed that one. The tacos I get have beige shells.

Speaking of cheese, I assume you've heard Trevor Noah's comparison of Trump to his taco:  both are "cheesy slop squeezed into an orange shell."

giphy5.gif?w=769&h=769

hey, anyone notice that donny looks kinda like late actor barry nelson in that shot? :D

I never thought the silence of the lambs was a good movie but rather it was all about promoting jody foster's career.

Okay. I thought it was one of the best films of the year.

I doubt a studio would spend all that money for the

sole purpose of promoting one actor's career. Of course

it was good for Jodie Foster's career, but that was a

secondary consideration. The scene where Hannibal

eats something of someone's open skull and brain

was in one of the later films.

Archived