Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IS ROBERT OSBORNE RETIRING FROM TCM?

(*-denotes *ACADEMY AWARD winner)   Who knows if Mr. 0sborne-(l932-) is retiring from hosting TCM?

It's looked for sometime like Ben Mankiewicz was being groomed for the top spot

Please let me/us know with any details,etc

(P.S. I also miss Robert's marvelous "Pvt. Screenings")

The highnote for me was probably: Betty Hutton-(l921-2007)

& *Borgnine, apparently just in time too

Thank You

• Like 1

Also, who else has his mammoth book I mentioned on 2015 *OSCAR forecast?

"85yrs of the *OSCAR?"

A must for any true cinephile, as is another "must have movie book" "AFI Desk Reference"  It doesn't just cover The American Film Instritute, but virtually everything motion pictures

(*-denotes *ACADEMY AWARD winner)   Who knows if Mr. 0sborne-(l932-) is retiring from hosting TCM?

It's looked for sometime like Ben Mankiewicz was being groomed for the top spot

Please let me/us know with any details,etc

(P.S. I also miss Robert's marvelous "Pvt. Screenings")

The highnote for me was probably: Betty Hutton-(l921-2007)

& *Borgnine, apparently just in time too

Thank You

I'm sure TCM realizes that his retirement is not far off, though no specific timetable is in play. Ben obviously is being groomed to move up to the #1 slot.

• Like 1

"85yrs of the *OSCAR?"

A must for any true cinephile, as is another "must have movie book" "AFI Desk Reference"  It doesn't just cover The American Film Instritute, but virtually everything motion pictures

I own the 75 years and 85 years at the Oscars book. The first book I bought at a reduced price, and the second book was a gift.

Robert did make an appearance in a feature on the CBS News Sunday Morning show on Oscars Sunday and he looked fine (thanks to HelenBaby2 for posting the notice of this program).  Of course this feature was prerecorded, so not sure how long ago this video was actually shot.

"85yrs of the *OSCAR?"

Funny thing you should mention that. I have the 85 years of Oscar, but I also bought the "60 years of Oscar" back in 1988. I believe the last entry in that book was for the 1987 Oscars.  I bought that first book "60 years of Oscar" because I thought I recognized the author's name. I thought I remembered Bob as a host on The Movie Channel, and I thought he did such a good job of making movies that I was not intending to watch so interesting that I decided to stick around. I was very surprised to find out he was in his 50's at the time, because he just seemed so youthful. I guess that comes a little from genetics and a little from loving what you do for a living. I really don't think his age caught up to him until his extended illness in 2011.

Bob is a rare bird and it is not likely we'll see one like him again. With the internet, everybody has all of these facts at their fingertips. It is no longer needed to have someone who is a college of knowledge about cinema. However, Bob brings with that knowledge the kind of grace that is becoming extinct, the kind of compassion that gets people to open up and made his "Private Screenings" series so special. He also has such a passion about film and spreading his passion to future generations. It's not that Ben can't do the job, it's just that there will never be another Bob Osborne.

• Like 2

Robert Osborne is indeed the face of TCM and we'd all like to see him go on forever. Still, we shouldn't be selfish. When he finally decides to step down, we should wish him a long, healthy, and happy retirement. That's a lot better than wanting the poor guy to keep working until he drops dead while taping a movie intro.

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

Hello, I've been a loyal viewer of TCM since the beginning. Of course, we all knew that at some point our beloved Host, Mr. Robert Osborne would desire to retire from TCM.

Whilst I have numerous problems with the decisions of the new Management of TCM, the most egregious of their actions is how they've dealt with Mr.Osborne's unexplained long-term absence from the Network. They've refused to provide any explanation for why he's been gone and when or if he'll ever return as Host and Guardian of TCM.

A Company as large as Turners should have a Public Relations Department capable of handling whatever Mr. Osborne's situation is and present only the necessary details to his fans and the TCM Audience. Refusing to address his situation has caused Robert's fans and TCM Views to fret over his health and his future with a Network many longtime loyal views are abandoning.

I, like thousands of TCM viewers don't wish to invade Mr. Osborne's privacy, however, the Network needs to make a Statement whether or not he's Retiring. Clue #1 They ended the Essential Series and pointed a Book ending with the Movies he and Sally Field selected and played during theoretical Broadcast.So, he's not doing any more Essential Cohosting.

If his health is failing, the travel to Atlanta from NYC and back would be exhausting and take a toll on him. MHO.

I'm knew to the Forum. Apologize in advance if my Rant was out of line, for my frustration is with TCM.

Thank You

• Like 5

thinlady,

Thank you for your post.  With all due respect to Robert, I agree with you that it has been strange to go almost a year now with holding a place for him without any new on-air participation.  They continue to show the introductory sequence for Robert's introductions with month after month of 'guest hosts' etc.

I would hope that when Robert does officially retire, TCM can find another 'distinguished' host to go along with Ben (and yes Tiffany).  I know this is just my own opinion, but I have always found Robert to be more personable/charming than Ben when it comes to the movie introductions and interviews with stars of yesteryear, and it would be nice if TCM could find someone of similar personality and experience.  I realize this is a tall order, but I hope TCM doesn't feel they have to 'expand the demographic' in their selection at the expense of the original qualities that made TCM so popular with so many.

One minor question per your post - I thought I had read somewhere that TCM was able to shoot Robert's introductions in New York, but perhaps I am mistaken.  If this is true, then that would be another sign of the seriousness of the situation, since travel would no longer be a factor.

• Like 1

Considering that the rock group FLEETWOOD MAC once recorded an LP with each member doing their parts in different world locations instead of all of them together in the studio, Then of course, the technology exists that would make it possible for Bob to do his stuff from the comfort of his living room.  AND in his spare time.

This leaves TCM with NO excuses.

And WELCOME to the boards here THINLADY.  You appear to have a good head on your shoulders, and we LIKE that 'round here!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I agree with comments re: reluctance by TCM to address concerns of TCM fans with Bob's absence, as for those of us who have been watching since the channels inception Bob is TCM.  Quite frankly I like Ben and I like his relationship and history with movies...I just wish he would acknowledge it more especially in his interviews.  Just knowing that he is related to and knew Joe, Hermann and Tom has me interested in what he knows about movie history, similar to that of Bob Osbourne.  

But to me the best of all the guest presenters is Alec Baldwin...his Essentials co-hosting was for me the best of the whole series.  He conducted his conversations well and appeared really interested in all his topics...he was invested in what he was doing.  And that investment came across on the screen, something I don't see with some of the other presenters and I am even sad to say it, but that includes Ben as well.  Bob was totally invested in TCM and the movies and that is what came across in all of his intros and interviews. 

• Like 1

Robert Osborne's status with TCM remains unchanged from April, when Osborne announced via press release he was taking a leave of absence due to health concerns.

This has been a difficult time for TCM staff members, a couple of whom I know personally. For one thing they totally get how much the fans care about Osborne and would like an update on his condition. But they also need to balance that with Osborne's right to privacy. Osborne has evidently, I'm told, instructed the various guest hosts to not directly mention his absence on-air.

So basically this has left TCM management in the position of having to publicly act as if Osborne is off on a long vacation while they prepare behind-the-scenes for one of two eventualities: That he will either be back on-air in some capacity down the road or he won't be.

For what it's worth, Osborne continues to tell the powers that be that he plans to be back on-air sometime in 2017, and while TCM will welcome him back in any capacity, I have a hunch the folks in charge realize that at this point a return to hosting full-time just isn't in the cards for Osborne.

The last semi-official word on this topic comes from actress Diane Baker. Baker was on the TCM Cruise last month and, on the last night of the cruise, revealed to guests that Osborne had emailed her two days before to say how much he missed his TCM family and to let cruise passengers know that he will be back on-air as his health permits.

• Like 5

If TCM decides to make Ben the main host for the show, it is the last straw. They should not have a political person with ridiculous views hosting the show, then pretending to put those aside and talk about movies. If Rush Limbaugh was made a host he wouldn't last long like when he worked at ESPN. TCM should be the same, when they have him as a host it is the same as endorsing his political viewpoints. You can't separate them.

If TCM decides to make Ben the main host for the show, it is the last straw. They should not have a political person with ridiculous views hosting the show, then pretending to put those aside and talk about movies. If Rush Limbaugh was made a host he wouldn't last long like when he worked at ESPN. TCM should be the same, when they have him as a host it is the same as endorsing his political viewpoints. You can't separate them.

Dude! Just because YOU "can't separate them", doesn't mean anybody or everybody ELSE "can't separate them"! That sounds like YOUR freakin' problem!!!

'Cause IF that fat-assed blowhard Rush could show ME that HE knows HALF as much about classic films as either Ben OR me, then I wouldn't have any problem at all watchin' him introduce movies on TCM.

(...and ya know, I'm PRETTY sure I've told you this before around here...or maybe that was your buddy and kindred spirit Jake who I told this to...'cause dude, whenever I watch Ben introducing these flicks the LAST thing I think about is his freakin' "politics"...nope, what I USUALLY think of while watchin' him is that damn mildly irritating nasally VOICE of his...YOU know, like when he pronounces words such as actor as "AKK-tor"!!!) 

• Like 1

Dude! Just because YOU "can't separate them", doesn't mean anybody or everybody ELSE "can't separate them"! That sounds like YOUR freakin' problem!!!

'Cause IF that fat-assed blowhard Rush could show ME that HE knows HALF as much about classic films as either Ben OR me, then I wouldn't have any problem at all watchin' him introduce movies on TCM.

(...and ya know, I'm PRETTY sure I've told you this before around here...or maybe that was your buddy and kindred spirit Jake who I told this to...'cause dude, whenever I watch Ben introducing these flicks the LAST thing I think about is his freakin' "politics"...nope, what I USUALLY think of while watchin' him is that damn mildly irritating nasally VOICE of his...YOU know, like when he pronounces words such as actor as "AKK-tor"!!!) 

You just proved my point, as you can't separate them yourself. You already hate the thought of Rush as a host, as I'm sure you would hate Trump too. But Ben is O.K. for some reason even though he is just as political.

Careful now, Dargo. Watch the blood pressure.

Mind you, while I'm no doctor, venting like this when you see a turkey comment like that might be the best thing for the ol' blood pressure now that I think about it. As long as you don't overdo it too  much.

Okay, Dargo, let 'em fly! Oh, wait, you already did.

Well, until the next time.

• Like 1

You just proved my point, as you can't separate them yourself. You already hate the thought of Rush as a host, as I'm sure you would hate Trump too. But Ben is O.K. for some reason even though he is just as political.

Nope, once again you seem to have COMPLETELY missed the point that another was attempting to express to you here!

JUST because I called Rush a "fat-assed blowhard" does NOT imply that I could not ultimately accept him in another public role as a host on TCM!

AND, did I not ALSO just say here or a least imply the thought that I've learned to accept what I've always felt were Ben's little "shortcomings" in HIS role as a TCM host?!

(...once again here...as long as EITHER some "fat-assed blowhard" OR some guy with a "damn mildly irritating nasally voice" has the ability to "stick to the script" when it comes to their job as a TCM host, AND as long as they for the MOST part can keep their own freakin' political viewpoints at a minimum or preferably extremely rarely expressed, AND as long as EITHER of them sounded as if they knew what the hell they were talking about when it comes to the issue of classic films, and something of which it seems at least BEN does on a consistent basis, THEN I have or WOULD have NO damn problem with watching such a person introducing movies on TCM....get it NOW???)

the scheduling over the past year has blown my mind by how exceptional it's been, so while i have to admit that almost all of the non-Osborne hosts don't enthrall me**, that's just 5-7 minutes before and after some great stuff they've worked into the rotation.

** although in the cases where they have worked, ie Michael and Annette, it's made for a much richer viewing experience.

Rush is a politician so, of course, he shouldn't be hosting TCM.

Ben M, is a movie guy (with a family heritage in the film industry, to boot) who happens to have political viewpoints with which you disagree? So what? There's no comparison between the two.

Ben doesn't push his political viewpoints when he talks to TCM viewers about movies. The "problem" with Ben M. as host is clearly your's for reasons of your own right wing political hangups!

Stop pushing your McCarthiest blackballing tendencies here regarding another man's employment at TCM just because that man's politics don't meet with your approval!

• Like 8