Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As I type this TCM is broadcasting Michael Curtiz' The Sea Hawk. I've seen this old favorite many times, but it's been years since my last viewing (even though I own the DVD!). I'd forgotten that the real star of this movie is not the dashing Errol Flynn, nor the beautiful Brenda Marshall (Mrs. William Holden), but rather Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score.

I agree. Though Flynn and Curtiz tend to receive all the credit, Captain Blood (1935), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), and The Sea Hawk (1940) wouldn?t be the same without Korngold?s rousing scores.

I just read in The Hollywood Professionals: Volume 1 that Curtiz directed 44 features for Warner Bros. from 1930 through 1939. Did he ever sleep?

DavidE

http://www/classicfilmpreview.com

• 2 weeks later...

The Sea Hawk is one of my favorite movies. I grew up watching clasic movies, especially Errol Flynn movies. :-) I just loved and adored him when I was five and I still do. So for me the best part is Errol of course. But I do think Korngold's music is the best in any Errol Flynn movie. It so adds to the richness and grandness.