Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't Knock the Rock

Princess of Tap

Thanks, Princess.  Great question to kick off this thread!   As you may remember from your "Christmas come this time each year" thread, I'm a fan of the Beach Boys.  I'm also a HUGE Disney fan. 

Next:  Let's stick with the Beach Boys.  They appeared in another 1960s film.  Please name the film.  (Bonus points for mentioning the 3 songs that they sang in the movie.) 

• Like 1

Next:  Let's stick with the Beach Boys.  They appeared in another 1960s film.  Please name the film.  (Bonus points for mentioning the 3 songs that they sang in the movie.) 

The Girls on the Beach (1965)

"The Girls on the Beach"

"Little Honda"

"Lonely Sea"

• Like 1

Get Yourself a College Girl (1964)

starring Mary Ann Mobley (Miss America), also with Nancy Sinatra and Chad Everett

and The Animals, who sang "Around and Around" and "Blue Feeling"

and The Dave Clark Five, who performed "Whenever You're Around" and "Thinking of You Baby"

and Astrud Gilberto sings "The Girl from Ipanema" as well!

What rock'n'roll classic was filmed over the course of two days and two concerts in Santa Monica in 1964, where the tickets were free to local high schoolers, and featured a mix of British Invasion, Motown and California surf bands?

I'm truly and honestly appalled that somebody got to see this concert for free. Because I had to pay good money and stand in line for an hour at a local downtown movie theater.

Of course, I'm talking about the Tami concerts-- teen awards music international of the summer of 1964. Showing at All local movie theaters in America.

Of Course you are going to ask me who was in this show. The best way to describe this teen concert is that everybody who was anybody in the Rock and Roll world was in this concert except Elvis Presley and the Beatles.

Having said that, let me see if I can jar memory.

Seems like Jan and Dean were the hosts.

The most bizarre group of all was Cannibal and the Headhunters.

Aside from that, all my favorites were there: The Beach Boys, Chuck Beery, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles Rolling Stones, The Supremes, James Brown, Leslie gore, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, I can't remember anymore.

I do remember that it's about the best live performance I've ever seen the Beach Boys do. & I think they got the best reception--and I'm not being prejudiced. LOL

How I survived that 2 hour show I'll never know. Except you can scream for two hours non-stop without adverse effects.

• Like 1

You're right, Princess. I really like The T.A.M.I. Show, and was so happy when Shout Factory put it out on DVD a few years back. I've watched it a few times, and they did a great job on the disc. One of my favorites of the era.

Your thread.

Yeah-- Fra, you know so much about rock and roll--

do you want to tell everybody about who was there and what happened? Apparently there's still controversy about what actually happened. Have you seen the movie?

Yes. The Airplane was the other major act. Marty Balin was even assaulted there.

Next: An "A " list director (one of America's top directors, post-1970) directed a rock documentary featuring one group. Title? Group?

Yes. The Airplane was the other major act. Marty Balin was even assaulted there.

Next: An "A " list director (one of America's top directors, post-1970) directed a rock documentary featuring one group. Title? Group?

Is this The Last Waltz, about The Band, directed  by Martin Scorsese?

Thanks, Lawrence.  I watched that movie just to hear the songs performed by Herman's Hermits.

:lol:

Next:  Speaking of the British invasion......  This 1960s film featured performances by several British bands.  The opening and closing numbers were performed by a group that would become the most popular British band in America.  Please name the film and a few of the bands who were featured in the film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings