Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janet0312

Young Frankenstein (Fronkensteen)

I would like to hear some thoughts on this film. I was 15 at the time when the film came out. My father got me into horror films when I was a baby, and when I saw this flick, I told him he just had to see it. Cost us 3 bucks to see the film after the initial run and hype in 1974. Daddy adored the film and ever after called Gene Wilder that "Crazy Man".

I read that Gene Hackman begged Mel Brooks to do the blind man part.

The instruments were supplied by Kenneth Strickfadden.

I love this movie.  It was such a great send up of the Universal horror movies.  I'll admit horror isn't my favorite genre, so I may not catch all the jokes in the film that others who are more familiar with the old horror movies would. However, the film is hilarious on it's own.  I love Cloris Leachman's role and Teri Garr's.  

My absolute favorite part though is when Dr. Frankenstein takes the monster to the theater and they perform "Puttin' on the Ritz." 

"Puttiiiinnnn on da reeeeetz" 

This film is in my top ten favorite comedies of all time. I can, and have, watched it over and over again.

• Like 1

This movie is second on my list of my favourite Mel Brooks movies, second to another Gene Wilder and  Kenneth Mars film - The Producers.

My favourite scene is when Madeleine Kahn in her Bride of Frankenstein hairdo comes into the room with The Monster and sizzles her finger on her side.

• Like 1

Mel Brooks' best sustained film, with no lapses or humorless spots.  Viewing James Whales' "The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935) first is recommended, because Brooks took some of the elements from that film; most notably the Nefertiti hairstyle and the "creation" scene.

Favorite scene; where Kahn successfully parodies MGM musicals, Jeanette MacDonald, and Universal Horror films all at once;

"Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life...."

• Like 3

One of the great film satires.

One of my favourite moments in it . . .

6e0f877293473b205484061ea9abc167.jpg

"Put the candle back."

• Like 5

And let's not forget Frau Blucher's ways with animals . . .

temp-320-92249937.gif

Or the divinely funny Madeline Kahn as a Bride like no other . . .

YF.gif

• Like 2

This movie is second on my list of my favourite Mel Brooks movies, second to another Gene Wilder and  Kenneth Mars film - The Producers.

My favourite scene is when Madeleine Kahn in her Bride of Frankenstein hairdo comes into the room with The Monster and sizzles her finger on her side.

I'd say this is my fav Mel Brooks movie by a long margin w/o a doubt ... followed by High Anxiety and Blazing Saddles.  I think I'm going to give Silent Film and The Producers another chance

This film is in my top ten favorite comedies of all time. I can, and have, watched it over and over again.

Definitely up in my top fav comedies too

• Like 1

Mel Brooks' best sustained film, with no lapses or humorless spots.  Viewing James Whales' "The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935) first is recommended, because Brooks took some of the elements from that film; most notably the Nefertiti hairstyle and the "creation" scene.

Favorite scene; where Kahn successfully parodies MGM musicals, Jeanette MacDonald, and Universal Horror films all at once;

"Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life...."

Well said film lover.  That is why I don't like most of the rest of his films ... he seems to need someone to filter him from the so many of the humorless bits in so many of his other movies

• Like 1

And let's not forget Frau Blucher's ways with animals . . .

temp-320-92249937.gif

Or the divinely funny Madeline Kahn as a Bride like no other . . .

YF.gif

3 of my favorite funny ladies in this.  

some of Terri

tumblr_ne0x0chBBB1rk0preo1_500.gif

tumblr_nbcyxqBeJ31sj67gjo1_500.gif

Me and David Letterman love Terri Garr

• Like 3

3 of my favorite funny ladies in this.  

Me and David Letterman love Terri Garr

"Roll, Roll, Roll in ze Hay"

• Like 1

Regarding other Mel Brooks comedies besides this movie and The Producers which I mentioned before, I also love High Anxiety (being a Hitchcock fan and having seen all of the movies helps), and Silent Movie.

• Like 1

Regarding other Mel Brooks comedies besides this movie and The Producers which I mentioned before, I also love High Anxiety (being a Hitchcock fan and having seen all of the movies helps), and Silent Movie.

Me too regarding Hitchcock!  I had forgotten about the '67 version of The Producers, I was thinking of the '05 version which didn't impress me (and I watched it because I like Matthew Broderick so much).  I plan to watch/re-watch both now!

• Like 1

Without a doubt my favorite movie mix of the horror and comedy genres. I was 14 when this one came out and it was one of the rare cases that I saw a movie at a first-run theater before I started working at a first-run theater and could see them (good or bad) for free. I was already deep into my addiction for classic horror movies by that point and just couldn't wait until this one arrived at my neighborhood second-run theater.

• Like 2

I agree with all previous statements....plus part of the great success of this film is great writing (never a dull moment) and top-notch acting talent, ALL of them, even slapstick Marty Feldman.

What I really love about YF is the fact EVERYONE can love this movie- kids, adults, film buffs, not film buffs, people in other countries, etc. There is nothing offensive or even mean spirited in this movie. 

Perfection.

My favorite lines? 

In class, speaking of his father: "We ALL KNOW what he did"

As Mrs Monster, "...and a hamper for your poo-poo undies" then Peter Boyle rolls his eyes.

(I use both lines often)

• Like 2

Several things-------

I can't watch the original FRANKENSTEIN movie without having several scenes and schticks from YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN come to mind.

Like:  Will the creation be somewhat feminine due to having the brain of ABBY NORMAL?  :wacko:

And I can watch KENNETH MARS' work in this film all day!  Surely, as far as supporting character actors go, he's been too underrated and overlooked by many film fans for TOO many years!  NObody works a mechanical artificial arm like KEN!  B)

It may sound mean, but I often joked that PETER BOYLE was channeling RICKY MARTIN for his portrayal of the monster's/creation's singing and dancing "Puttin' On The Ritz"!  B)

MARTY FELDMAN as "Eye-Gore" doing a spot on GROUCHO impersonation when asked to get the bags---

"Soitenly....I''ll grab the blonde, and you get the one in the TOIBAN!"  :lol:

The way the horses would get spooked every time CLORIS LEACHMAN'S character(Frau Blucher) got mentioned.  :huh:

And Frau Blucher lovingly admitting to Young Frankenstein that his Grandfather...."...Vass my BOYFRIEND!"  instead of, as they'd likely say in a movie from that era..."lover".

And the way "Eye-Gore's" hump kept changing position. ("WHAT hump?")

My biggest challenge is to single out only ONE scene in this send-up masterpiece as a "favorite".  I'd challenge that anyone who CAN obviously doesn't love this movie as much as I do!  :P

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I too love this film and my next two favourites of Mel Brooks are ROBIN HOOD, MEN IN TIGHTS and SPACEBALLS, both are good send ups with a moderate amount of Yiddish schtick. 

This may be my least favorite of Brooks' earlier films. I never liked it.

It is un-possible for me to understand this sentiment

Although I don't dismiss your opinion .. it is yours

• Like 2

Humour, of course, is very subjective. Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot is my all time favourite screen comedy.

However, if I was to pull together a list of my top ten comedies, I strongly suspect that Mel Brooks films would appear on that list twice - with The Producers and Young Frankenstein.

• Like 1

Humour, of course, is very subjective. Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot is my all time favourite screen comedy.

However, if I was to pull together a list of my top ten comedies, I strongly suspect that Mel Brooks films would appear on that list twice - with The Producers and Young Frankenstein.

Some Like it Hot is my favourite comedy of all time too.  But I had a conversation with another classic film fan who didn't care for it much.

Humour is indeed subjective.

I have mentioned in another thread about my taste in comedy teams and well, I am okay with me being apparently the only person on that thread not being a fan of a particularly famous comedy team.  I am not big on comedy teams, period.  I usually find some movies of a team funny and not other films by the same comedy team.

Some Like it Hot is my favourite comedy of all time too.  But I had a conversation with another classic film fan who didn't care for it much.

Humour is indeed subjective.

I have mentioned in another thread about my taste in comedy teams and well, I am okay with me being apparently the only person on that thread not being a fan of a particularly famous comedy team.  I am not big on comedy teams, period.  I usually find some movies of a team funny and not other films by the same comedy team.

I'm not a fan of Some Like it Hot.   It has it moments but to me it is mostly a one joke comedy.    Yes,  humor is subjective.   I have the Marx Brothers and you have Some Like It Hot.

I do like Jack Lemmon especially the films he made with Judy Holliday (the actress that re-energized comedy after the post WWII period lost the sparkle).