Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Olivia de Havilland

I'm disappointed with the Olivia de Havilland birthday tribute film selection. Yes, I know how famous GWTW is, but there are dozens of other de Havilland films I'd rather see, like my two favorites, ANTHONY ADVERSE and THE MALE ANIMAL, and PRINCESS O'ROURKE (which I've never seen). How about a full festival of her films?

By "full festival", do you mean making her a star of the month? That'd be cool. I haven't been watching TCM very long, but imagine she's been SOTM in the past. They're showing six of her films today:

Great Garrick

Adventures of Robin Hood

Santa Fe Trail

Not As a Stranger

Gone With the Wind

The Heiress

And six others this month:

Alibi Ike

Raffles

Libel

Strawberry Blonde

Wings of the Navy

Captain Blood

I'm looking forward to some of these. I like the Michael Curtiz adventures, and SANTA FE TRAIL is one of the best. How often do you see Ronald Reagan as Custer? I'll watch NOT AS A STRANGER tonight. Never seen it. THE HEIRESS doesn't sound like my type of movie. But it's William Wyler. How bad can it be?

THE MALE ANIMAL is based on a wonderful play by James Thurber. The movie takes off in a different direction. But it's not bad.

Happy Birthday, Olivia!

I am one of those who waited in the standby line at the Olivia tribute and it was well worth it. It had to be one of the most amazing nights I have ever spent for obvious reasons. The film selections and acoustics were excellent. Everything you have heard is true about how great she looked, but also she had so much energy I couldn't believe it.

I would like to see the "The Dark Mirror" and "My Cousin Rachel" on TCM. I hope you can also show the screen test again from "Danton", that was great.

Happy Birthday Olivia!

Several years ago, there was an extraordinary festival -- star of the month, I guess it was -- devoted to Bette Davis. It was amazing, seemed liked dozens of films, including the lesser-known very early ones. I'd like to see a series like that devoted to Olivia de Havilland. One of the great screen moments for me comes at the very end of ANTHONY ADVERSE. Frederic March (Anthony) storms out of the Paris Opera House, having just realized that his wife, Angela, played by Olivia de Havilland, is Napolean's mistress. Opera star de Havilland, on stage, tearfully says "Good-bye Anthony." That image of de Havilland is one of the exquisite moments in cinema history.

THE HEIRESS doesn't sound like my type of movie. But it's William Wyler.

The film is Wyler's masterpiece, but it demands a lot from the viewer. You can't just sit back and let it wash over you; the film requires that you do a lot of the thinking. It's subtle, and disquieting, and perfectly evocative of the strait-laced manners and mores of upper-middle-class Americans in the 1840s.

I can't guarantee you'll enjoy it, as it's just not that kind of movie, but you'll be enriched by it.

To the author Unfortunately, the 2 time AMPAS winner-(& 5 nominations) is like a myriad of genuine heavyweights, that has only been selected & or voted-(to tcmprogrammer,etc How do they pick "The Star of the Month?" I've inquired before, to no avail though???)

But, *0livia, has only been "ST0M," 1 time to date.

But, check-out (reelclassicsbyElizabeth.com) She actually got to meet her Idol, when she was called-upon to assist with the 75th Academy Awards-(where all living winners-(acting) were on stage together)

Thank You

Swithin: Olivia has had two Star of the Month tributes from TCM.

Both were in the month of May--1998 and 2003.

ANTHONY ADVERSE was included in both tributes. They both included about 25 of her films--but both lacked THE SNAKE PIT and MY COUSIN RACHEL.

Neil

Wow, sorry I missed them somehow. Still, what actor of that caliber has achieved the age of 90? This month would have been a good time to have a third tribute!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My cousin Rachel will air on AMC on Tue., Jan. 16 2007 at 4:15 AM / EST.

Hope you can watch-record if you?ve never seen it like me.

I wished I could have been present at Olivia de Havilland?s tribute when she made an appearance. She is so advanced in age. If she looked great, I am glad for her. She must take very good care of herself. I love her talent. I am her fan. I?ve seen lots of her movies, my favorite is The Heiress.

You wrote: ?I would like to see the "The Dark Mirror" and "My Cousin Rachel" on TCM. Happy Birthday Olivia! ?

TCM cannot air MY COUSIN RACHEL because it is not in their library. Don?t waste your time waiting for them to show it. It will air on AMC on Tue., Jan. 16 at 4:15 AM / EST

Actually, Turner no longer owns the library and TCM has to rent/lease the films it shows.

In the last year or so, TCM has been negoitating with the various studios to show more films from Paramount, Universal, 20th and Sony/Columbia/Tri-Star.

The Turner library is now under the control and care of Warner Brothers.

So, it is possible that "My Cousin Rachel" could appear on TCM in the future.

Thank you Nyoka1 for quoting this wonderful site for classic movie fans.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/ ?

By the way, since you like Olivida de Havilland, I don?t know if you?ve ever seen My Cousin Rachel (I haven?t and I cannot wait) will air on AMC on 16 Jan 2007 at 4.15 am. Terrible time but at least they are airing it ?cause TCM cannot since it is not in their library. For further details about My Cousin Rachel and TCM library not being able to air it, check the thread ?re. My Cousin Rachel under MY FAVORITES.

Irma

Hi movieman1957, I checked ?Southern Lady? magazine online and I did not know how to access the July/Aug issue. It seems that if you don?t subscribe to the magazine, you don?t get to see anything. I will not subscribe for the purpose to see these photos of Olivia de Havilland because the magazine doesn?t appeal to me. Perhaps you can send us a link of the page where the photos appear? Tks.

http://www.southernladymagazine.com/

I'd love to read that article too but I suppose it's not available on line.

Glad to see the interest in MY COUSIN RACHEL which comes up on AMC next month. I was very impressed by the performances of Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton--they're terrific together. I love that sensual scene before a blazing fireplace in de Havilland's budoir. It is typical Daphne duMaurier material and extremely well done.

Neil

Just discovered a website that is addictive: You Tube. Just for the fun of it I inserted Olivia de Havilland's name and lo and behold I discovered that she made a rare TV appearance sometime in the 70s on the Dinah Shore show along with other Oscar ladies: Shirley Jones, Shelley Winters and Eva Marie Saint. There are 8 segment/clips from the TV show so its seems to be almost the whole Dinah show. This is a fascinating show with each lady talking about their experiences in Hollywood. Also, surprisingly sitting on the panel with the ladies is a very young and handsome Robert Osborne who naturally talks about the movies. This show is highly recommended for old time Hollywood fans and maybe even newcomers. Just insert DeHavilland's name on that website and up pops the Dinah show.