Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SEND ME NO FLOWERS

Underrated film, almost as good as LOVER COME BACK and PILLOW TALK. Paul Lynde had one of the funniest one-scene appearances ever..........One very weird thing. Tony Randall had a very major role in the film. His character was married. His wife was frequently mentioned. There was at least one scene in his house. Yet the wife was never seen..

Some men think "wives should never be seen", Down just as preventive medicine. 

I own the boxed set of the three Doris/Rock films so didn't watch much, but did catch a few scenes with Randall and Hudson and they were amusing. Is there any movie where Tony Randall does not add so much to a film? Not to denigrate Hudson and Day though as they are cute together and I like Rock better in comedy than in drama.

There's a topic for you. Wives or husbands in films who are talked about but never seen.

This title always reminds me of a song done by The Supremes, named the same, which they recorded in the first half of 1964. As was often the case with Motown, the song was shelved, and not released until a 25th Anniversary anthology in the mid 1980s. It would have made.a decent album track, if not quite strong enough to have been an A side single release.

The song, by Holland-Dozier-Holland, sounds transitional from their hit-making formula of 1963, typified by their hit with Martha and the Vandellas, "Heat Wave", and their new sound, as per their first No. One hit with the Supremes, "Where Did Our Love Go". The H-D-H version of the wall of sound has been replaced by less overall clutter, although still having the vaguely Charleston sound of the 63 productions, but the prominent stomping beat of the newer hits.

tcm never shows doris day in 'where were you when the lights went out?'

Yeah, I KNOW, huh!

Yep, the last time they showed it, they cut all her scenes out of it!

(...so much for all that "uncut and unedited" stuff they always promise, huh?!)

;)

I own the boxed set of the three Doris/Rock films so didn't watch much, but did catch a few scenes with Randall and Hudson and they were amusing. Is there any movie where Tony Randall does not add so much to a film? Not to denigrate Hudson and Day though as they are cute together and I like Rock better in comedy than in drama.

There's a topic for you. Wives or husbands in films who are talked about but never seen.

On TV, Lt. Columbo always talked about his wife, but she was never seen.

The Odd Couple - there's a whole collection of unseen (ex)spouses in that one.

For the longest time, I found Doris Day movies were just too darn nice for my pallet, though I quite enjoy then nowadays - I think Please Don't Eat The Daisies & Calamity Jane were the 2 films that turned me towards DD appreciation. Of last nights presentations, I rated The Thrill Of It All the higher, due to some nicely farcical touches (like the foamfest in the swimming pool & the following cloud shape interpretations). In Send Me No Flowers, I kept wanting to knock the Rock with a common-sense mallet, such was the level of hypochondria on show. Both films are an interesting snapshot of 60's sexual politics.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings