Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
teckid1991

Another Week of Miyazaki

What was the tagline for that movie? Something like, "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will get tickets to be on Emeril."

The sarcasm in your post wasn't abvious to me. Like i said I'm new to tmc. Besides why hate anime... Its just the common style of cartooning in japan. you do like American cartoons, do you not? Is the fact that its japanese just to much for the likes of you and your followers? I'm totaly with anyone who would say that tmc should take in more modern classics and become more culturally diverse.

Oh... i don't even own an Ipod and hate gum. And yes, my school does have a film class and the local college does too, but if its like anything that they show on tmc that that discurages me from taking it. I say that they sould make some changes and start to modernize their line-up.

> Another week of Mizrahi? Issac? Oh, no!!!!!

What is with your spelling... i advise you to download the japanesepod101 podcast at itunes or go read the Wikibook on the subject and educate yourself on how japanese is spoken. You totaly butchered his name... its MIYAZAKI! There's nothing hard about spelling when its just Consonant, Vowel, Consonant!

"Oh... i don't even own an Ipod and hate gum. And yes, my school does have a film class and the local college does too, but if its like anything that they show on tmc that that discurages me from taking it. I say that they sould make some changes and start to modernize their line-up."

It's called Turner Classic Movies. If you don't like the classic movies you need to watch the other hundred or so channels that cater to your tastes.

Im not saying TCM should take out the classic moives that you love so much. Im just saying they should add in more modern classics. We dont want to wait for 2106 for them to start showing movies that are considered classics during this time period.

This thread being a few months old, my message might not be read, HOWEVER-

All of you certainly have the right to dislike Anime in general and Miyazaki in particular, just as Technid ( I probably spelled it wrong, so come on after me!) has the right to enjoy the genre and the director. This person also has the right to express his/her opinion, as we all do.

I guess you all have the right to belittle Technid, hint that he/she is stupid because of a spelling error or two- of course, none of you have ever made a typo- and flat out say that this person had limited education and didn't pay attention in school.

Whereas the Constitution guarantees you the right to free speech, there is no suggestion that you are welcome to bully someone whose opinion differs from yours.

Shame on each of you who joined in on the Technid bashing! You are hiding behind internet anonymity in order to behave in a manner you probably wouldn't consider if face-to-face.

Did all of you ganging up on Technid make you feel cool , superior, or powerful?

Were any of you ever the target of someone who treated you the same way you treated Technid? Did being so mean make you feel better about yourselves? Are you among those people who make themselves feel better by making other people feel badly?

I'm ready to dance with all of you. If you want to try to swell your egos by attacking ME, feel free to email me directly- shellywilley2@juno.com. I'm eager to engage.

Meanwhile, I'll be apologizing to Technid for the reprehensibly immature behavior you exhibited.

Asswipes.

Shelly

Here, here.

I'm getting tired of TCM forum's quickness to attack anybody who likes something. If you look carefully at the posts you'll find that people are more likely to agree with someone when they've just criticized someone. (I guess just in the way I've done here.)

I really don't mean to attack anyone who's having a real conversation about film, just the sharp ease at which we can cut someone with a quick reply of "oh, THAT'S CRAP". It too cheap a reply, and lazy. For god's sake, someone has just opened up about something they appreciate and they get word like "crap" or "waste of film" tossed at them. And then, the real sharks smell the blood and jump in with nastiness. Sometimes, it reminds me of the beach scene in Lady from Shanghai.

It's hard to believe it's coming from the same people who are so kind and supportive in most of their posts. I like you guys, but watch the easy, off the cuff dismissals.

Actually, I think the other posters, like Patful and Jack, were quite open and fair at the start. Neither of them bashed him because of his likes, they just simply dissented (which is their opinion). This thing probably blew up because of Teckid's persistence to change a channel that he knew so little about. He didn't realize that TCM was commercial-free and couldn't even get the name of the channel right for the longest time. Combine that with the fact that he wanted to change the schedule to suit his needs and you get a few angry posters. Stoneyburke was the first person to jump on Teckid, but she turned right around and apologized. Her anger was understandable because people try to do this too often. People that don't like old movies try to change the scheduling on TCM to suit their needs, which goes against the whole purpose of having this channel. TCM is just about the only venue for fans of old movies to sate their palate, and they don't want to lose it (like AMC).

I think that name-calling is the quickest way to ensure that someone goes on the defensive. Once that happens, no one is listening to anyone's else thoughtful opinions on ANYTHING. It just becomes a flame war.

Sandy K

Actually, I think the other posters, like Patful and Jack, were quite open and fair at the start.

Thank you, kind sir. I try not to make fun of anyone's favorites around here, they could easily jump all over mine.

It is unfortunate what has happened to these boards. Years ago, new participants were greeted by someone we affectionately referred to as our board "Mom" and the motto was "if you can't say something nice ...". But, you guessed it, she was eventually run off by the nastier ones who have taken up residence among us. I remember nostalgically the time when I first found this place over three years ago, it was relatively quiet and so different (a breath of fresh air) from the other Internet sites where I'd discussed movies because: the vast majority of the active threads were on-topic, differences of opinion were expressed civilly, there were few if any skirmishes between the participants (e.g. no personal attacks), and Mom helped to keep us in line;-) Despite Mom's departure, up until earlier this year (which started, ironically, with the Miyazaki programming and was then exacerbated by other divisive discussions about TCM's future), we still did a pretty good job of self moderating in her absence. Fortunately, we've somehow managed to add several new participants whose classic movie-related contributions are welcome.

Going forward, if that's possible at this point, 'we' must recognize the fact that in any discussion forum there are certain (minimal?) standards regarding what is acceptable; absent these, the existing community crumbles as those who won't tolerate any less will leave (it then morphs into something unrecognizably hostile). The biggest problem is those who refuse to accept (the fact of) these original standards and/or mindlessly rail against any attempts to reign in the abhorrent behavior with hypocritical & misguided cries in the name of "free speech" (those who come to the defense of the perpetrators). Of course, even "free speech" has its legal limits (e.g. you can't cry "Fire!" in a crowded theater) and, last I checked, these particular boards are hosted by "A Time Warner Company", which gives its owners these rights (even if, at least thus far, they've chosen not to moderate them except for deleting some spam - the technology they used to use also censored certain foul language).

I sincerely hope that we're seeing an end to the unacceptable activities and that it hasn't come too little or too late for those contributors who are the life blood of these message boards' most compelling content, those who've been tolerant enough to weather the storm of craziness that has become so commonplace around here, particularly this summer. Otherwise, it'll have been a shame to have lost what used to be a friendly, learning environment.

You're welcome, and I agree with you. No one's tastes are exactly alike. I get on these boards to communicate with people whose interests are similar to mine, and I learn a lot from it. If someone likes something that I don't like, so be it, that's their prerogative. I'm not going to bash them for it, but at the same time I don't want them to lobby against the current lineup on TCM in order to show movies that so few people here care about. I love the Toho monster movies from the 50s and 60s more than any other type of movie, but I'm not going to try and change TCM's schedule because of it. I realize that not as many people like those movies as I do, so I'm not going to try and make TCM cram them down everyone's throat. Any Hollywood movie from the 30s to the 60s is my second love, and that's why I come here. When I want to watch old movies, I turn on TCM. When I want to watch Godzilla, I go elsewhere. If someone wants to watch anime, let them go elsewhere. You can talk about it all you want here, but please don't try to change the direction of TCM. It's geared toward a certain arena in the history of filmmaking, and there is no reason that it should have to change to encompass everything. Keep up the good work TCM!

Just to clarify--my post was in response to ShellyWilley's post. I thought that her post brought up some good points, and was stated well. But then she ended it by calling the other posters "Asswipes." I'm not trying to start an argument with ShellyWilley or ANYONE here or to re-open the "what does and doesn't belong on TCM" debate, I just want to make the observation that friendly debate and discussion always breaks down when name-calling is involved.

Sandy K

Please accept my apology for the "****" comment.

Believe me, I absolutely ADORE the old films- the black and whiter, the better- but I also appreciate the artistry of Miyazaki. Far be it from me to say what does or does not belong on TMC, but I do enjoy some variety in programming, just as I do in my life! Besides, didn't TMC air the Miyazakiu films late on Saturday?

Maybe you should give them a chance if TMC runs them again, not for the plot, but to appreciate the beauty of Miyazaki's detailed artwork.

Granted, it's no Rocky and Bullwinkle.........but what is?

Shelly

I just reread all of the posts to this thread, and you know what?

I apologize for my defense of Tecknid.

He/she started out by expressing his/her admiration of Miyazaki specifically and anime in general, then, after so many of you slammed him/her, came back and said it was all sarcasm.

Hell with that.

The anime currently popular on TV is crap. Miyazaki, however, is art.

His films all have a message- however overbearing- but I defy anyone to say that Miyazaki's hand painted artwork is something less than brilliant.

I love watching his films simply to admire his artwork- but I truly love the stories of "Spirited Away", and "My Neighbor Totoro".

Tecknid- sorry I defended you. You might at least have the courage to stand by your admiration of these films, and not back down when others disagreed with you. Your opinion is your own, why let other people put you on the defensive?

I LOVE Miyazaki. I also love Rocky and Bullwinkle. And Wallace and Grommett. And WWII era Warner Brothers cartoons.

Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to do so. If you choose to attack me on a personal level because of it- hey, if it makes you feel superior, have at it.

I just would suggest you ask Santa for an open mind and a sense of humor.

I love each and every one of you!

Shelly

The dub of "Grave of the Fireflies" is scheduled for November, one of the older Ghibli films that wasn't shown with the first batch.

Since Cartoon Network has aired the more popular titles, I doubt we'll see them on TCM again. But it was nice to see them get one showing, and especially nice to see the subtitled original versions.

Have any of you watched Miyazaki films on Cartoon Network?

I swear to you, I timed it- they show 10 minutes of film, 10 minutes of commercials. A 2 hour film begins at 7 and ends at 11. Very frustrating.

I know, they have to pay the bills......... but PLEASE!

Shelly