Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Western

ron710

The Searchers,Fort Apache,My Darling Clementine,The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,Red River,The Gunfighter,and Winchester '73 are the best.I've never seen "Colorado Territory",in its entirety!

Don't forget "The Iron Horse", "Stagecoach" "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon",

"Rio Bravo", "Ride the High Country","The Ballad of Cable Hogue", "The Wild Bunch" and "McCabe and Mrs Miller".

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to catch it on TV and it's one of my favorites too. Millard Mitchell is quite good in this film and indeed most of his other work from this time frame.

Working in "Kiss Of Death", "A Foreign Affair", "12 O'Clock High",

"Winchester '73" and "Naked Spur" is a pretty good resume. He's not mentioned too often around here.

I agree that "Colorado Territory" is a great Western. I'm not sure if it could be considered a classic, but it's mighty entertaining. And besides, it's got Joel McCrea in it. And beautiful Virginia Mayo was always right at home in Westerns. Isn't it fun to see how they took the plot of "High Sierra" and made it into a Western?

Terrence.

I don't know that I can pick a single favorite, so here's my list: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Big Jake (I know it's corny, formulaic, and predictable, but I just love it), Winchester '73, Paint Your Wagon, Silverado, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and The Searchers.

As for the worst, who can forget "The Villain" (gawd knows I wish I could) with Arnold Schwarzenegger playing a character named "Handsome Stranger" opposite Kirk Douglas and Ann Margeret? What a stinker!!

Not only the best western but many critics feel the best American film...The Searchers!

And yes, there are many more favorites of mine - Liberty Valance, Wild Bunch, Yellow Ribbon, BOTH Unforgivens Eastwoods and Lancaster's, Rio Bravo. Gee this could be a really big list ...gotta stop.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite Westerns in alphabetical order

DEAD MAN (1997) Jarmusch

HEAVEN'S GATE (1980) Cimino

JOHNNY GUITAR (1954) Nicholas Ray

MAN OF THE WEST (1958) Anthony Mann

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962) Ford

McCABE AND MRS. MILLER (1971) Altman

THE NAKED SPUR (1953) Mann

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968) Leone

RANCHO NOTORIOUS (1952) Lang

RIO BRAVO (1959) Hawks

THE SEARCHERS (1956) Ford

SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949) Ford

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948) Huston

It's a tossup between 'The Searchers', '. . . Liberty Valence', and 'How the West Was Won'.

I've seen all of them at minimum 4 times and never get bored, but I love cowboy movies, and sci-fi, so I'm wierd.

Anne

Anne:

You're not weird. Although Sci-fi is not a favorite of mine some of them that I have encountered are transplanted westerns. "Star Wars", "Outland", The Road Warrior" are at least a few modern examples. (Maybe I'm weird.)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

In alphabetical order:

THE BRAVADOS

DESTRY RIDES AGAIN

THE GUNFIGHTER

HIGH NOON

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

MAN OF THE WEST

THE MISFITS

THE SEARCHERS

SHANE

STAGECOACH (1939)

TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

THE UNFORGIVEN (1992)

VERA CRUZ

THE VIRGINIAN (1929)

THE WESTERNER

• 2 weeks later...

I gonna add " The Treasure of the Sierra Madre " to my list. Great performances from the three male leads, Bogart, Huston, and Holt.Bruce Bennett, Alfonso Bedoya, and Barton Mac Lane were excellent in support. John Huston as an actor did OK.

My favorites may not be widely considered "the best", but if marooned on a desert island, I would hope the following would float ashore including these more recent releases:

The Grey Fox with Richard Farnsworth

Tom Horn with Farnsworth and Steve McQueen

The Good Ol' Boys with Tommy Lee Jones, Sissy Spacek, Sam Shepherd

Legends of the Fall with Andrien Quinn, Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins

Dances with Wolves with Kevin Costner

Open Range with Costner and Robert Duvall

The Cowboys with John Wayne, Roscoe Lee Brown, Coleen Dewhurst

The Shootist with Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Richard Boone, Ron Howard, Henry Morgan.

Death Hunt with Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Angie Dickenson

Geronimo with Gene Hackman and West Studie, Matt Damon and Jason Patric.

Older Stuff:

Hondo

The Stalking Moon with Gregory Peck for its suspense

Any of the James Stewart-Anthony Mann efforts such as Bend of the River, The Man from Laramie, Naked Spur, Winchester '73 (where Stewart was beginning to shape his Western persona). Stewart in Night Passage with Alan Ladd, perhaps, and The Rare Breed.

Centennial

Hombre with Paul Newman, Richard Boone, Frederic March

Hud with Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia O'Neal, Brandon de Wilde

Shane with Alan Ladd, Jack Palance, Van Heflin, Brandon de Wilde

Ride the High Country with Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott

Hangman's Knot with Scott, Donna Reed, Lee Marvin', Claude Jarman, jr.

Hannah Lee with John Ireland, MacDonald Carey, JoAnne Dru

Running Target with Arthur Franz

The Last Hunt with Stewart Granger, Lloyd Nolan, Russ Tamblyn

Ride Beyond Vengeance with Chuck Connors, Paul Fix, Bill Bixby, Gloria Grahame. If only for the brawl between Connors and Claude Akens.

And my very favorites of this era: 1) Roughshod with Robert Sterling, John Ireland, Gloria Grahame, Claude Jarman, jr.--a transition b & w film between "A" and "B" with a bit of a film noir quality about it.

Two, The Big Country with Peck, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Jean Simmons, Chuck Connors, and Charles Bickford. The Western that does it all: scenery, score, cast, action.

I'm glad to see that someone else likes "Open Range" and "The Cowboys." "Open Range" is a terrific film. The time sped by, and I liked the characters and was glad things turned out well for them.

"The Cowboys" never seems to have gotten its due. It was better than the John Wayne movies of that era. ("The Train Robbers" was interesting, but "The Cowboys" had more depth.) In some ways, I prefer it to "The Shootist," which seems to get all the praise.

I'm glad to see that someone else likes "Open Range" and "The Cowboys." "Open Range" is a terrific film. The time sped by, and I liked the characters and was glad things turned out well for them.

"The Cowboys" never seems to have gotten its due. It was better than the John Wayne movies of that era. ("The Train Robbers" was interesting, but "The Cowboys" had more depth.) In some ways, I prefer it to "The Shootist," which seems to get all the praise.

I'm a fan of "Open Range" as well. I think Costner is quite good. Duvall, as good as he is, still seems to me to playing his "Lonesome Dove" Gus McCall. Not that it's a bad thing. It's a bit long but worth the time.

I like "The Cowboys" as well. I saw it in the theater and I remember it being the first movie I ever saw John Wayne die in. I was shocked. It took a long time before I learned to appreciate Bruce Dern because of that film.

• 2 months later...

1. Wagonmaster 1950

2. My darling Clementine,1946

3. The Westerner,1940

4. 3 Godfathers,1948

5. The Oxbow Incident,1943

6. Ramrod,1947

7.Four faces West,1948

8. The Covered Wagon,1923

9. The Iron Horse,1924

10.Stagecoach,1939

11. Shane,1952