Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It is a very good movie. I strongly recommend Colin McArthur's BFI guide to "The Big Heat" which goes into the process of how things from the novel were changed as the movie was made. (admittedly, one chapter of McArthur, in which he talks about how British film critics responded to auteur theory is a snooze, but the rest of the book is great.)

I always liked Gloria Graham.

• 1 month later...

> "Do you know if it is in the first noir

> collection?"

>

> According to TCM it is not available on home video

> yet...

I purchased :The Big Heat " last December from Amazon, and it is still available.

"I purchased :The Big Heat " last December from Amazon, and it is still available."

I wonder what the TCM site means then"? Do you suppose they literally mean "video" as in VCR? Here's the quote:

"Our records indicate this title is not available on Home Video."

• 2 weeks later...

I think their reference to "Home Video" indicates DVD as it is now the preferred format of choice for most people. And yes, THE BIG HEAT is readily available if not through Amazon, then certainly through eBay. It has a rather high list price and was released through Sony (Columbia). It is not part of any package of noir films, but it certainly could be as Columbia released quite a few terrific noir titles all through the 40s and 50s, many of which have yet to see the light of day on DVD.

The Big Heat is most certainly available on DVD, and it is an EXCELLENT noir film. I have a large noir DVD collection (almost 100 titles!), but I've always hesitated getting The Big Heat because of the high price. Given the loss of Glenn Ford, I think it's time to bite the bullet and get it.