Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today as I watched the Gary Cooper birthday celebration throughout the day on TCM (don't worry I have a job) I couldn't help but to keep mixing up Joan Leslie and Theresa Wright. I also have the same problem with Dana Andrews and Robert Cummings. I always mix them up for some reason. My question is this: Is there any actors or actresses that you mix up from time to time either because they look like one another or for some other reason?

I always get Fay Bainter and Fay Holden confused. And not just because they both had the same first name, but they were both under contract to MGM at the same time, and played similar roles, as far as I remember - and if I'm not remembering right, then I just proved that I'm all mixed up about these two ladies.

• 15 years later...

Jackie Coogan and Jackie Cooper

Frances Langford and Frances Farmer

Virginia Bruce and Virginia Mayo

Anne Todd and Anne Shirley

Ann Dvorak and Ann Harding

John Glover and Danny Glover

Glenda Farrell and Glenda Jackson

Donald Meek and Donald Crisp

Frank Finlay and Frank Faylen

Edward Binns and Bert Freed

Arthur Freed, Alan Freed, and Alan Freed Jr

Steve Cochran and John Payne and someone else

Ed Wynn and Keenan Wynne

Geraldine Fitzgerald, Geraldine Page, Geraldine Chaplin, and Jean Stapleton

Lillian Hellman, Lillian Gish, Helen Hayes, Mary Pickford

Douglas Fairbanks and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr

Mabel Norman and Norma Shearing

William Boyd and Francis X. Bushman

Ramon Navarro, Ivor Novello, and Rod LaRocq

Johnny Weismuller and Buster Crabbe

Alan Hale and Alan Hale Jr

Wallace Beery, Noah Beery, and Noah Beery Jr

The Barrymores

John Gilbert and Gilbert Roland

Erich Von Stroheim and Eric Von Sternberg

Don Ameche and Richard Farnsworth

Gabby Hayes and Arthur Hunnicutt

William Windom and Robert Webber

Richard Attenborough and David Attenborough

Sam Sheppard and Tom Stoppard

Beulah Bondie, Billie Burke, Billie Whitelaw, and Spring Byington

Carrie Snodgrass and Cloris Leachman

Ella Raines, Lizbeth Scott, Elaine Stewart, and Kim Novak

The Van Dorens

Verna Lissi and Monica Vitti

Diana Dors, Jayne Mansfield, Anita Ekberg

Gene Raymond, Barry Sullivan, Gene Barry

Hugh Beaumont, Gary Merrill, Hugh O'Brian, Hugh Marlowe

Arthur Kennedy and Edmond O'Brian

Edmund Gwenn and Fred Gwynne

Peter Weller and Ed Harris

Hume Cronyn and Lloyd Nolan

Wendy Barry and Wendy Hiller

June Lockhart and Christine Lockhart

William Conrad and Robert Conrad

Mel Ferrer and Jose Ferrer

Jane Meadows and Audrey Meadows

Mitzi Gaynor, Janet Gaynor, and Edie Adams

June Allison and Jane Wyman

Art Linkletter and David Brinkley

David Birney and Meredith Baxter-Birney

Fess Parker and Clint Walker

Troy Donahue and Tab Hunter and Ron Ely

Jack Elam and John MacIntyre

Margaret Sullavan and Miriam Hopkins

Margaret Rutherford, Marjorie Main, Jane Darwell, Marie Dressler, Margaret Hamilton

Ruth Hussey, Barbara Hale, and Anne Rutherford

David Wayne and Norman Lloyd

David Wayne (John Wayne's son) and the sons of Robert Mitchum

David Wayne (John Wayne's son) and Jeffrey Hunter

Sylvia Sidney and Sylvia Sims

Sam Levine, Jay Novello, Akim Takimiroff

Joan Bennett and Constance Bennett

Kay Francis and Eleanor Powell

Kay Lenz and Lee Purcell

Gig Young, Robert Young, Robert Vaughn, Robert Montgomery

3 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

a diller, a dollar...always late to the party, that's me, a day late and a dollar short!

:)

When I first saw your list, I wondered how you could generate such a list so quickly, then I saw the post you were responding to. You have been working on that list for 15 years😉

Your wonderment is actually correct. Sometimes my brain works lightning-fast in non-linear directions. I came home tonight from a hard week (at a great metropolitan newspaper), wolfed down a burger, and flopped down to snooze. When I awoke my cranium was in a ferment and this thread topic was just what I needed to forge some fresh synapses.

See, few of my mis-cognates above make any comprehensible sense. Some are based on homonyms or homophones in the actors' names; some on actor physique, some on sameness in their voices; and some maybe only on vague similarity in an actresses' hairstyle.

I guess what I'm saying is that after a long week at work deliberately trying to make sense and meaning of this bonkers world we inhabit, my "mind" (if one can call it that) prefers to scramble off down 'diagonal avenues'

• Like 1

p.s. I'll be keen to see if anyone else echoes some of the match-ups I coughed up. Norman Lloyd and David Wayne for instance. What exactly is it about them which makes them pair together in my skull? I think its their raspy voices and their diminutive form, don't you? Both rather 'slight of stature' males?

8 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

p.s. I'll be keen to see if anyone else echoes some of the match-ups I coughed up. Norman Lloyd and David Wayne for instance. What exactly is it about them which makes them pair together in my skull? I think its their raspy voices and their diminutive form, don't you? Both rather 'slight of stature' males?

Funny, but it was always David Wayne and Tom Ewell that I had no idea why I'd always pair 'em up in my mind.

(...my guess was always that they both would often play the sneaky but ineffectual type)

• Like 1

Bennett Cerf and Elmer Fudd

(...but in THIS case, I know EXACTLY why...they sounded so much alike, with neither of 'em able to pronounce the letter 'r' even if their life depended upon it)

I've also never mixed up Erich Maria Remarque with either Rainer Maria Rilke or Rainer Maria Fassbinder, nor confused any of these with Werner Herzog or Oskar Werner, or with Oscar-Mayer Weiners

Similarly, I can keep Maria Schell separate in my mind from Maximilian Schell and Max Schmeling; and I know my Hans Conreid apart from my Conrad Veidt

2 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

...except that Elmer Fudd is Arthur Q. Bryan! This factoid might save your life sometime, so keep it in mind!

One thing I'm proud of is that I've never confused Anne Blythe with Blyth Danner

Don't know if you watch The Big Bang Theory, Sarge, but there's a semi-regular character on it named Barry Kripke played by actor John Ross Bowie, and he plays the character as if he also has Bennett and Elmer's Rhotacism. 

I've encountered brief samples of all this era's hit sitcoms and sad to say (because I know there must be SOME talent involved SOMEWHERE) they all make me cringe. I don't know what it is, but to my ears they are all painfully unfunny. Example: "excessive onanism" jokes. Seriously? Yep.

Or, a "kid cracking jokes about his mom going out on a date". And the mom's character --as dictated by the writers--goes along with the demeaning assumption (that her 13-yr twerp knows more about dating than a 37-yr-old woman). Groan...

For some reason I had a feeling you probably were not a fan of the show.

And ya know, come to think of it, neither was/is CaveGirl as I recall.

(...and so perhaps another reason why Tiki's earlier observation about you and CG stuck me as being a little on target) ;)

Yeah. CaveGirl seems like she was quite a popular participant around here; I wish I'd known her. I can't aspire to her status though; I'm too 'rough-hewn' in my ways. I pose an imposition upon this august body of film buffs! :)

I suppose you could say CG was/is also one of those "acquired tastes", and someone who I personally did acquire a taste for.

And, similarly to yours, her command of the language and extensive vocabulary were/are often quite impressive.

(...if she ever returns to these boards, and I hope she does, she and you would probably get along famously, as they say)

• Thanks 1

Hard to see how serious antipathy could arise between any two lovers of classic cinema, which is the unifying thread between everyone here. Sure, I have a couple topics I get 'het up about' (presentism & technology) and I have one topic I'm adamantly against ('hybrid noir-izations') but that's not very many sins to lay at my door. Pretty wide expanse of other subjects to chat about, without touching off any powderkegs.

Unlike yourself, I do not take people's web-activities as any indication of how I really might judge them face-to-face. The web is not reality. It is barely 'the shadow and the shape' (quoting Deborah Kerr here, 'Chalk Garden') of real life.

In person, I am soft-spoken, mild-mannered, polite, and affable. Nothing like my Foreign Legion namesake!

44 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Hard to see how serious antipathy could arise between any two lovers of classic cinema, which is the unifying thread between everyone here. Sure, I have a couple topics I get 'het up about' (presentism & technology) and I have one topic I'm adamantly against ('hybrid noir-izations') but that's not very many sins to lay at my door. Pretty wide expanse of other subjects to chat about, without touching off any powderkegs.

Unlike yourself, I do not take people's web-activities as any indication of how I really might judge them face-to-face. The web is not reality. It is barely 'the shadow and the shape' (quoting Deborah Kerr here, 'Chalk Garden') of real life.

In person, I am soft-spoken, mild-mannered, polite, and affable. Nothing like my Foreign Legion namesake!

So, it seems a pic like this would be a more accurate avatar for ya then, eh Sarge?...

beau-geste_59594.jpg

(...er, I suppose I mean instead, "eh Beau"?)

;)

• Like 1