Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Hitler's Children" quote help

IllwithLife

I should have recorded this when it was on the other day but i didnt and now i really want the speech by Karl at the end and was wondering if anyone could help me out? it was on pretty late and i was tired so i only remember a little of it.

Here goes (sorry about the Goethe quote, not sure about the number of lines or punctuation in the poem):

"I speak today, not for myself, but for the youth of Germany. I speak as one who has learned a great lesson. Our Fuhrer, our beloved Fuhrer, has often said that the future belongs to youth, and that the youth belong to the future, and I know how true that is. But I beg you all to be warned by my example. I thought for a while it would be fun to be free, to do just as I wished. I was willing to serve the Reich, but I was not willing to obey it in all things. Some things I wanted to decide for myself. Some things I said were no business of the Reich. Yes, in some things I put my will above that of the Fuhrer. From all this I've learned a great lesson, and the lesson in the words of a German poet is this: "Those who live for their faith shall behold it living." And my faith, my friends, is the faith of the great Goethe:

"If the whole world I once could see

On free soil stand

With the people free

Then to the moment might I say

Linger a while

So fair thou art

So fair thou art"

To the youth of Germany then I say, this is my lesson, this is the lesson of life. This is not the lesson you're learning in Germany today. You're not learning the lesson of life, your education is an education for death. You're not going to live from day to day, you die from day to day, for to live is to be free. You no longer wish to be free. Have you any idea, my friends, what it is like to be free? Well, I'll tell you, I was a free man once, and once you've had a taste of freedom, nobody can take it away from you. It's like a breath of fresh air that lasts to eternity. Long live the enemies of Nazi Germany!"

yeah- i think Nicky said the title of the poem during the picnic scene and the author and i couldnt quite hear it (happens too much when watching movies while everyone else is asleep and theres a fan two inches away from my face) and i'll definatly have to read it as soon as a get some sleep

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings