Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JERRY LEWIS SHOULDA' RECEIVED AFI AWARD BY NOW!?

Some may find this ridiculous, but I've long thought that legendary movie comic: Jerry Lewis deserved AFI's Annual Lifetime Achievement Award & considering the terrific Steve Martin was awarded it last year, he's even more deserving

THANK YOU

• Like 1

Some may find this ridiculous, but I've long thought that legendary movie comic: Jerry Lewis deserved AFI's Annual Lifetime Achievement Award & considering the terrific Steve Martin was awarded it last year, he's even more deserving

THANK YOU

Are you implying that Steve Martin was inspired by Lewis?

• Like 1

THANK YOU

I agree with you regardless of how many bridges Lewis may have burned.   

There are lots of people deserving of an AFI award and it would be great if they could get them when they are still well enough to attend such ceremonies.  I'm glad that a composer -any composer - is being recognized now so that maybe more will be in the future.

Yeah Spence.  I'm in agreement, but you'll notice there seems to be a highly vitriolic and overstated dislike of Jerry Lewis in here for some reason.

Sepiatone

I don't dislike Lewis at all. I grew up on those films and watching them even today brings back a lot of pleasant memories of my early movie going experience. I was just offering a reason that maybe there is a reason that some people may not get a Lifetime Achievement award or a Kennedy Center Honor or whatever we fans think our favorites deserve. I think it's pretty well known that Lewis can be a little prickly behind the scenes and occasionally in public statements. We can all say none of that matters, and as entertainers, if they are effective in their endeavors, then the public will embrace & forgive a lot of things. But we, the public, aren't the ones making these decisions. It's always some anonymous panel or committee and we'll never know what goes on behind closed doors.

I'm not trying to make excuses even though it appears that way. He, and many other artists, will fall through the cracks when these late in life awards are disbursed.

Most of Jerry Lewis' movies are the same. Repetitious goofball character doing goofball shtick.

They're not highly-rated films.

I enjoy watching some up to a point ('The Patsy' is my favorite), but I don't see much there to declare him any more deserving of an AFI award than The Bowery Boys or The Three Stooges - same old, same old. Do they have AFI awards?

THANK YOU

jerry lewis certainly deserved it before steve martin.

• Like 1

That's ridiculous. There are many excellent Steve Martin movies in addition to the time-wasty goof-a-thons.

Lewis has only one decent non-goofball co-star performance (in 'The King of Comedy' - and even then he basically just played himself in his straight life).

I thought AFI awards given to actors were supposed to be for acting. Lewis has shown very little range as an actor. Even his so-called dramatic roles in tv guest spots (ie/ 'Ben Casey', 'Law & Order') are manic like his usual routine, with maybe one scene where he hangs his head tragically to convey something deep.

Martin is a real actor. Lewis is really not.

That's ridiculous. There are many excellent Steve Martin movies in addition to the time-wasty goof-a-thons.

Lewis has only one decent non-goofball co-star performance (in 'The King of Comedy' - and even then he basically just played himself in his straight life).

I thought AFI awards given to actors were supposed to be for acting. Lewis has shown very little range as an actor. Even his so-called dramatic roles in tv guest spots (ie/ 'Ben Casey', 'Law & Order') are manic like his usual routine, with maybe one scene where he hangs his head tragically to convey something deep.

but lewis has been around decades longer in the public eye than martin and france loves him. :)

but lewis has been around decades longer in the public eye than martin and france loves him.

Martin's been around and making movies since the 70's - and he's still making movies - and good ones!

What's Lewis' last movie? Like 30 years ago? And apart from 'The King of Comedy', what was the last half-decent one? Like 55 years ago?

Also, who gives a crap about France? They laugh at the most moronic comedy I've ever seen - lampshades on the head is considered brilliant in France.

But think of it, Nip, Jerry has the French Legion of Honor and Steve Martin does not!

This old article about the French and their love for Jerry's talents pretty much tells the tale of how he conquered the language barrier with his physical style:

updated 3/16/2006 12:16:17 PM ET

PARIS — France formalized its fascination with Jerry Lewis Thursday with a uniquely Gallic gift for his 80th birthday: a medal and induction into the Legion of Honor.

Lewis received the honorary title of “Legion Commander” in a raucous ceremony in Paris — hamming it up for the cameras, winking, sticking out his tongue and making his trademark funny faces.

True to form, the comedian turned what is generally a sober event — set in a gilded hall of the Ministry of Culture — into a virtual slapstick routine.

Lewis, who bucked formality by wearing slippers to the ceremony, clowned around with Culture Minister Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres — yawning, checking his watch and even pretending to fall asleep during Donnedieu’s 20-minute-long speech in French.

The crowd roared at Lewis’ antics, their laughter often drowning out Donnedieu’s lofty words.

At one point, Lewis tried to snatch the prepared speech from the podium, but an affable Donnedieu persevered. “The longer my remarks last the better,” he told the audience, “so you can keep on enjoying Jerry Lewis’ comic talents.”

When he finally took the microphone, Lewis apologized for not speaking French, but said that “even if the French people cannot hear my language, they have always heard my heart.”

Ministry officials wheeled in a massive cake, and the audience sang “Happy Birthday,” delivered with a heavy French accent.He applauded the country’s sense of humor, saying he believed it “took France through all those difficult years, and will take it through difficult times now because the French are not afraid to laugh.”

Lewis said he was flattered by his induction into the Legion of Honor, and said he had been “gloriously elevated” by the award. He was one of 37 foreigners to have received the title over the past three years.

“The French people are the best in the world,” Lewis said.

Lewis is a better actor than you think. Check out his dramatic performance in Martin Scorsese's "The King of Comedy" (1983) when it airs on Wednesday. He should have been nominated as Best Supporting Actor.

• Like 1

Lewis is a better actor than you think.

No. He's not.

His acting talent is average at best - and when I say that, I mean average for a comedian, not average for an actor. For an actor, he's below average.

Some of his goofy comic stuff does make me laugh at times. Only at times, though.

No. He's not.

His acting talent is average at best - and when I say that, I mean average for a comedian, not average for an actor. For an actor, he's below average.

Some of his goofy comic stuff does make me laugh at times. Only at times, though.

He received praise for his serious performance in THE KING OF COMEDY, which I found to be totally catatonic.

He received praise for his serious performance in THE KING OF COMEDY, which I found to be totally catatonic.

He just basically played himself as calm - no zany. I liked it (nice to see him act like a normal man for once), but it wasn't any kind of tour-de-force or anything.

• Like 1

No. He's not.

It's way above average when you consider that comedy is said by actors to be harder than drama. And he's excelled at both.

Some years ago, I spoke with Stanley Kramer's wife (when her husband was still alive) and I said her husband should have been honored by the AFI and she told me "its all about politics."  I am  no fan of Lewis.  To me most of his films without Dean Martin were ego trips but I do think Lewis should have been honored before Steve Martin.

It's way above average when you consider that comedy is said by actors to be harder than drama. And he's excelled at both.

Physical comedy is not nearly as hard and that's what he specializes in. The French can't seem to get enough of it, but for most adults a little goes a long way.

I agree with most other posters about Jerry Lewis’s comedy – he can make me laugh, but only at times. I liked his films when I was a child; as an adult I was far less impressed. I can still sit through his films with Dean Martin, and I also agree that his dramatic turn in “King of Comedy” was very good (he also did a good dramatic appearance in “Law & Order: SVU”.  Out of curiosity, I would like to see "The Day the Clown Cried" but that would seem very unlikely.). But his independent post-Martin films don’t do a thing for me any more (his non-stop mugging eventually gets on my nerves). Having said all that, I would still concur that Lewis should receive an AFI award, or some sort of recognition, since he has undeniably made a contribution to film.

• Like 2

Physical comedy is not nearly as hard and that's what he specializes in. The French can't seem to get enough of it, but for most adults a little goes a long way.

Easy for you to say. You're not the one getting beat up while doing pratfalls and having houses fall on you.

• Like 1

Comedy was much harder back then as you couldn't do all the bathroom jokes and F bombs like they do today. There are very few real comedians out there, look at the new Ghostbusters trailer, it is very stale and they spent $150 million on the movie. I think he does deserve some type of award for his career though, maybe a small crying clown or a baby Oscar

• Like 2