Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM's New Osborne - Mankiewicz Odd Couple Promo

Anyone else catch this promo?

I guess someone's been reading this board because they're trying to promote Ben as Oscar Madison to Robert's Felix Ungar.

It's a vain attempt at promoting Ben as a whacky but lovable slob who has an irreverent love of film...

Glad I saw the promo. I finally know what I'm supposed to make of BM's intros!

At least Oscar Madison was funny...

Yancey

Hey, I think that is a great promo.

Now I know what to think of Mankiewicz too. He's the young skeptic highly critical new-age whippersnapper while Osborne is the old-time traditional-movie guy.

The promo is very good. I think it's done in sort of a 1970s movie promo narration and editing style, which is cute.

They've got some really creative promo makers at TCM.

I, too, think it's an exceptionally well made promo. Very clever.

I just have to laugh that after all this time they finally decided that they had to promote Ben in a way that might make him palatble to those of us who don't like his style.

Yancey

> I just have to laugh that after all this time they

> finally decided that they had to promote Ben in a way

> that might make him palatble to those of us who don't

> like his style.

What's not to like?? We all admire someone who has the stigma of a famous name and born into money that had a difficult time in struggling to obtain a host position despite these drawbacks!! Give the guy credit he faced adversity and won!!!

It is great, The Yin and Yang of TCM. One is polished and reserved representing the over the hill gang while the other is cool and hip, representing the now crowd. Rob Zombie is the cult underground that says both of you are the same, fake - mainstream - dull - politically correct symbols which represents two sides of the same coin.

I really like Ben and always have so I was very happy to see this promo. I also like the one where he is driving in his car with 'someone' - and I believe they stop at a restaurant/bar? I know I thought it was cute and right now I can't remember a thing about it. I do know that I was thinking I hope they show it again. I don't think that Ben gets the credit he deserves. Bob is wonderful - but he's not the only one capable of introducing a classic movie. JMO.

I just now saw the commercial and thought it to be well done.It pegged the way to portray Robert,but for Mankiewicz I think that they portrayed him as a tasteless,less contributive outsider.I realize that both of these gentlemen have many a generation gap between them but they could have looked for a better scheme for the younger. I also realize that maybe in the scheme of attracting a younger viewing audience maybe they felt that they had to portray him that way.I personally mute the TV every time he comes on,I find him pointless.As for Robert Osborne, I hang on to his every word, can't get enough of him.

I agree 100%. And I also mute the sound when Mankiewicz appears. Sometimes he seems a little more respectful of classic film stars but then he slides back into the sarcasm. Didn't TCM realize this commercial would only make Osborne seem even more distinguished, especially when BM is shown on a skateboard? Other than their wonderful films with no commercials, the best thing TCM has going is Robert Osborne.

You know, I don't mind flippancy, if it's truly well-written, witty flippancy.

Osborne's persona doesn't lend itself to that kind of approach (which is one of the reasons TCM engaged Mankiewicz to broaden the tone of their films' introductions), but the occasional clever bon mot certainly wouldn't hurt.

Unfortunately, both Mankieiwcz's and Osborne's writers are unimaginative, pedestrian pikers, and undercut whatever charms one or both men have.

I've met them both (Osborne is, in fact, an old friend of a good friend of mine), and think that they each deserve better.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood, at least, my intentions. I understood that we were asked our opinion on the promo which is what I gave.Since I do not know either of these two gentlemen on a personal basis, I cannot give my opinion on the same.I can't help the fact that Mankiewicz (don't really know how to spell it) is a host whose professional manner is just not appealing to me,starting with his voice, his lack of charisma,etc.I have nothing against the guy personally.I can't help the fact that, to me, he makes Osborne look that much better and makes me remember him more.

> Though I prefer Osbourne to Mankiewicz, I'd like to

> see a woman hosting during the daytime.

I hear Star Jones is available......

I just heard everyone faint, of course I'm kidding!

SusannO

I ADORE both of them!!!! They both do a wonderful job of presenting the movies we LOVE!!!!!!

Don't you just ADORE that word ADORE! Well, I don't ADORE either of them, nor do I ADORE the commercial, or whatever it is. I finally just saw it. I thought it was fairly well done, but it had no affect on me one way or another. Like I have anything to say about it anyway. Osborne represents the elite, and Mankiewicz represents the masses.