Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can you name movie about earthquake.

When I was a very small child I remember seeing a movie in which the climax is that a ball is interrupted by a devastating earthquake. I think the movie was in black and white, and was from the forties and fifties, but the only real date I can be sure is that it was made before 1975,

San Francisco, of course, features a spectacluar earthquake that interrupts a charity ball (just as Jeannette MacDonald was singing the title song).

Other quaking movies:

The Sisters

Green Dolphin Street

The Player

Earthquake

In Search of the Castaways

The Rains Came

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Penny Serenade

Thanks. Now I know it's not Earthquake, In Search of the Castaways, or Journey to the Centre of the Earth, since I've seen enough of them to know they're not the one I'm thinking of. The movie may have involved both an earthquake at a ball and some volcanic explosions. Does anyone know anything like that (likely in black and white, likely from thirties to fifties).

As a 'small child' could your memory be off kilter? Could you be thinking of either 'The Towering Inferno' or 'the Poseidon Adventure'. The disasters occurred during formal balls in both pictures, and to a small child both could have seemed like earthquakes. However they are also in color, and San Francisco is probably your best bet.

No. I distinctly remember it watching it on network television in the afternoon. Not only have I seen both movies, but the Towering Inferno was only released in December 1974, and would not have appeared on television by the latest by June 29, 1975. Nor would a movie as popular as "The Poseidon Adventure" have appeared on television in the afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at back issues of newspapers, I have found a movie that might be the one I'm thinking of, The Rains of Ranchipur. This is actually a remake of one of the movies mentioned earlier, The Rains Came, and it is 1954, and stars Lana Turner and Richard Burton. This did appear on television during the time

I'm thinking of. It is apparently in color, and I recall the movie being in black and white, but I would have been only four at the time, and may have misremembered. Does anyone know anything about this film?

The Rains Came is in black and white. It was released in 1939 by 20th Century Fox and stars Tyrone Power and Myrna Loy.

Tyrone Power plays an Indian Doctor (India, not Native American) during the British colonial period. They fall in love but due to the caste system and the snobbery of the British in the film, they can't be together.

Then ending with the natural disaster is quite a stunner. Can't say more without giving the rest of the ending away.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest that San Francisco is still your best bet because The Rains Came (while an exceedingly fine film) does not feature a ball. The earthquake in 'Rains' comes in the middle of the film - not at the end. If you're looking for a film with a climax that is an earthquake (in black and white) it is most definitely San Francisco.

• 5 months later...