Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Sunday nights in August?

May I ask where exactly you got this information? The TCM schedule only goes up to July on this website! I wouldn't take stock in anything away from the TCM homepage. Unless some evidence is shown, there certainly won't be any movement for an uprising!

marc, after you posted this, I checked the website and found that you are absolutely CORRECT! It even looks like the format for those Sunday nights is going to be movies from the late '60's/early '70's. What's the deal? I know that March is a month when they do the Oscar thing so it is to be expected, but what's going on in August?

The TCM August schedule is devoted to 24-hour tributes to classic movie stars. On Sundays, TCM has made the stars to correspond with their weekly showings of "The Essentials." Thus, since none of the stars of these stars were ever in silents, a conflict of interest would ensue. Plus, although Silent Sundays are great, I'm pretty sure "The Essentials" rakes in more ratings. All in all, TCM is showing 5 silent movies (the same number of Sundays for the month) in August: "The Boob" (1926) on the night of Mon. the 4th for Joan Crawford, and 4 Greta Garbo silents on the morning of Tue. the 12th. But that's a mere trifle compared to their usual monthly Silent menu. I'm sure Silent Sundays will be back in Sept.

I'm sorry, but it seems like there's ALWAYS something interfering with Silent Sundays. You can watch many other channels to see a lot of these movies from the Sixties and Seventies, and I know they have to cover all the bases, but I just don't like the movies from that era-in fact, my interest pretty much ends,but for a few exceptions, at the end of WW2. TCM is about the only place many of us can see silents and early talkies. That OTHER "classic" movie channel shows a lot of movies from the Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies. I wish TCM would stick to Silent Sundays more consistently.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you Daddysprimadonna. There always seems to be something that interferes with Silent Sunday Night. You would figure TCM would leave alone that two hour block on a late Sunday night when most people are already in bed but they keep screwing around with it and irritating loyal silent movie fans! Also marcncleo, Can you tell me how to access the August schedule? I can only get it to go up until July! Thank You

No, I'm afraid I don't know how to see the schedule for August-maybe someone can tell us both:) On the Silent Sundays matter, I TOTALLY agree. Geez, it's ONE movie, every Sunday night,late,like you said-why mess with THAT one time block,and ALL THE TIME, for goodness' sake! It's like there's not really a Silent Sunday really, it's more like once in a while, if you're lucky, they'll remember that Sundays nights, oops, there aren't any "landmark" movies from "the first real actors" like Marlon Brando or James Dean to show(PUH-LEEZE!!!),so we'll just show a silent. I wish we could just see a variety of silents, even the ones that aren't "important"-the stuff everyday people went to see then, even if the plots were a litlle thin, or the acting just ordinary. I like to see them for the same reasons people did back then-to see the stars,the clothes, the sets, the love scenes-not just for historical or educational reasons. Why don't we see more Mary Pickford or Gloria Swanson? Or even Theda Bara?

Sorry for such a rant. It's just frustrating when this is the only way for many of us to see these films. Don't mean to be an ingrate:)

Click on the second selection in the menu field "Main schedule flash" and over on the monthly calender to the right of your screen you can arrow over to the upcoming months.

I guess things interfere with Silent Sundays is because I assume it's not popular with ratings. I hope this isn't the case. They are playing a few silent films in August and I hope it returns for Sunday nights or another designated night. I just bought 2 packs of VHS tape to save these films so I hope it does return.

I wish with all my heart that that would happen, I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven! I'd do it myself if I could!I wonder if there are enough silent films in existence to have a year-round all-silent movie channel,without repeating too much? Who cares, I'd watch what there is over and over-you see something you missed before everytime, anyway!

Listen when I see that opening montage for Silent Sunday Night show up every Sunday night I know that I am starting my week off on a high note. Even if my neighborhood was raped and pillaged later in the week at least I can say that I had something to make me feel good during that horrible week of my life.

As virtualpope mentioned, TCM has a special schedule for August offering 31 24-hour salutes to 31 different stars, from Greta Garbo to Charlton Heston. Think of it as "Star of the Month" times 31. But if you'll look at the schedule carefully, you'll see that TCM has suspended ALL of its regularly scheduled showcases for August, not just Silent Sunday nights. This is a special event, just like 31 Days of Oscar in March, and things will be back to normal in September.

Gosh, we're so protective here. No regularly scheduled silent movies or early talkies, and we act like the house is burning down. See how quickly we've forgotten that silent comedian Harold Lloyd was April's Star of the Month? Or that TCM is featuring pre-code films all this month? Has anybody noted the offerings in the June and July schedules? I'm particularly excited about the three silent and sound movies featuring one of my favorites, Ramon Novarro (SCARAMOUCHE, THE NIGHT IS YOUNG, and BEN HUR).

Come on folks, nobody ever said that TCM was "The Silent Movie Channel" or "The Pre-Code Channel" or whatever somebody is complaining about a lack of this week. TCM has other segments of its vast audience to consider, not just us. The pendulum has swung our way before, and doubtlessly will swing our way again.

Meanwhile, do what I do: keep on requesting your favorite movies, write TCM about your programming concerns (the e-mail address is tcm@turner.com), and BE PATIENT! Heck, I even call TCM once in a while. Sure, I talk to a lot of underlings, but on some occasions I actually get to talk to someone in progamming, and things happen one way or the other. TCM listens to you, its viewers. NOW GET BUSY!

LOL, you're right-and I'll do some contacting:) Sorry, can't help it, we're fanatics, we have tunnel vision when it comes to our faves, especially since we can't see so much of these anywhere but TCM-see, no good deed goes unpunished:), and we're always left wanting more! See what you did TCM, you've created monsters for silents and pre-codes and...