Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just sat through DDLJ and Bombay, sang along through one and cried my eyes out through the later. This festival was a wonderful idea! Though many landmark or at least hugely popular movies have been left out, hopefully there will be another such festival soon and they'll include the ones that have been left out this time.Neverthless, the current line-up also seems fine.Even though some of our new movies like Lagaan have been left out the rest of the movies represent different genres and eras in our movie history. Here's looking forward to more such movies. If anyone's listening, how about showing some of our wonderful comedy like Golmaal, Angoor, Chupke Chupke and so on....

Now I am off to watch Amar Akbar Anthony..have fun everyone!!

I just sat through DDLJ and Bombay, sang along through one and cried my eyes out through the later. This festival was a wonderful idea! Though many landmark or at least hugely popular movies have been left out, hopefully there will be another such festival soon and they'll include the ones that have been left out this time.Neverthless, the current line-up also seems fine.Even though some of our new movies like Lagaan have been left out the rest of the movies represent different genres and eras in our movie history. Here's looking forward to more such movies. If anyone's listening, how about showing some of our wonderful comedy like Golmaal, Angoor, Chupke Chupke and so on....

Now I am off to watch Amar Akbar Anthony..have fun everyone!!

Firstly, I would like to applaud TCM for this move in the direction of diverse programming. The choise of movies however is a little ill advised. In America there is little exposure in the mainstream to any other culture and therefore as a first it is extremely important that people are not alienated by showing the B movies in the genre. Amar, Akbar, Anthony is considered a cheesy, cartoonish romp even amongst hardened Bollywood fans. There are such wonderful movies out there after all there are according to some accounts hundreds or movies produced each year, a better selection would not be difficult.

Secondly, I have been a fan of Ismail Merchant for many years and some of his movies are amongst my all time favs. However, his explanations of certain aspects of the genre were incompetent. Maybe, he has been out of touch for so long that the culture now escapes him.

Thirdly, I hope this can perhaps be made into a permanent feature with even one Bollywood movie a month. I would hope the powers that be will consider that.

Fourthly, I would comment that those who have not taken to these movies, I would hope would be a little more open minded than commenting "What the .... is Bollywood". What this board has indicated to me is that more education is needed on what the cultural references are and why certain aspects of the movies are constant - such as why are they almost always musicals. I think this is indicative of a lot of American culture today - more education is needed in this country to realise that beyond it's borders, other cultures exist.

Finally, thank you TCM, this is wonderful, please continue with this and maybe we can run some sort of selection on your website where people familiar with Bollywood can vote on what they think should be shown and perhaps you can get better copies also next time. My copies at home ate better quality. This reflects on the opinions of people watching on the whole genre.

COOL JOB TCM!!

Its just feel good watching hindi movies on tv without paying money and going through all the hastle of borrowing dvd and returning it. Cool...

Keep up the good work. I wish this festival will last for ever.

I'm very glad to see Bollywood getting some attention on a channel like this. However, I also was a bit surprised by their choices of movies. Most of these aren't bad movies, but they're certainly not the best ever. First of all the thing that is most upsetting is that no Sanjay Leela Bhansali films were chosen. If anyone wants to see some spectacular movies check out both Bhansali's Devdas and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.

Also why was Bombay showed in its hindi dubbed version instead of the original tamil version? That seems like a kind of major oversight not only because the mouths moved differently than the sound but also because the tamil version's songs sound a lot better.

Bombay, Dilwale Dulhania le Jayenge and Mother India are good choices, but I would have also chosen to show Dil Se, Gunga Jumna, Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai, Umrao Jaan or even Asoka, Chalti ka naam gaadi, Mughal-e-azam or Sadhna as some of the best/classic bollywood movies.

Why were junglee, Amar Akbar Anthony and pakeezah chosen? I'm glad to see Bollywood on TCM, but I only wish that more thought had gone into picking these films.

By the way, to buy indian films I've found www.indiaplaza.com to be pretty good, to listen to hindi film music online check out www.musicindiaonline.com/hindi/ and for more basic info about bollywood see: www.bollywhat.com and for the classics: www.upperstall.com

Do any staff members from TMC read this or anything because I'm begging that you continue this. Even if it's once a month that you show case bollywood movies that would be great. i know that everyone that i have talked to loves how u guys are doing this.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum! I beg TCM never to show any of these movies again! I respect the culture but also respect classic movies and I just don't feel that these fit the criteria of this channel. OK, maybe one or two older Bollywood movies can be shown on Friday night's when TCM shows foreign movies, but never again in primetime.

Finally, I was able to find the spot where I could express my hatred for your ****, totally mindless inclusion of Indian movies in your scheduling. What is this ?? More **** Hillary Clinton diversity?? Get this, you mother fuckers, our culture is the most important, most secure and liberal culture in the world. I've had it!!! with the importance of other cultures!! **** you and your Indian movie masturbations!!! These people, the Indians, are not as important nor as smart as we are!!! GOT IT?? CREEPS??!! Let America alone!

I am regular viewer of TCM and applaud TCM for its sincere effort.

However, I do want to spell out that Mr. Ismail Merchant was a bad choice to introduce the movies. He is clueless about the information on the movies and totally outdated in his information about India . 'Rangeela' (despite being an OK movie) for example created a fashion, fitness revolution in the industry. Above all, introduced Bombay industry to the genius of music director A.R. Rehman, who is working with Andrew Loyd Webber in a London production. Mr. Merchant failed to mention all of the above.

Next time (I hope there is a next time) you get a more informed director (Ashutosh Gowariker, Farhan Akhtar, Sunjay leela Bhansali) or actor /actress (Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai).

And yes - choice of movies could have been better but its a start. Despite this all my American advertising co-workers are watching and loviiing it. This will catch up.

Once again, congratulations TCM on the effort and please never Mr. Merchant.

Jeepers, noble, do you talk to your mother with that mouth? And how interesting that you call yourself "noble" when you are anything but.

To our Bollywood-savvy visitors, many of whom I assume are Indian, please ignore this **** cavity. I mentioned something about racist posters upthread, but I neglected to mention that it didn't include the regulars here, who are real nice folks.

I've been enjoying the hell out of this series. Hooray for Bollywood! I take issue with the people who say these movies don't belong on TCM because so many are so recent. First of all Mr. Merchant said that India doesn't have a retro film culture. Mother India is apparently the exception, as are the films our experts here have pointed to. And hell, India only became an independent country in the late '40s, they probably didn't HAVE a film industry before that.

I think they're interesting?and DO tie into TCM's mission?because India, unlike the US, is still making cheesy, sweet-natured, cotton candy musicals. If Arthur Freed's MGM Musical Unit were still operating today, would their productions look like this?

Oh, and once again to our experts, Mr. Merchant did not choose the films in this series. It was curated by Nasreen Munni Kabir, who is apparently an expert on Hindi cinema. And hell, any list of "the best" of any kind of films is some trouble in River City. You should see the fights that break out when the American Film Institute releases one of its 100 Best Films/Comedies/Romances/whatever!

I enjoyed the hell out of Aman, Akbar, and Anthony! Yeah, it's goofy as all get-out, but we've got the Three Stooges, so no harm done.

I am impressed !!!!!!

But the choice of movies could have been better.as well as the choice of Ismail Merchant for the anchor...It's a poor choice even in Indian Standards.b..I could have been a better choice!!!

..but I sincerely thank TCM for bringing some of the best movies from India...

I request TCM to continue bringing movies from India....The best bet could be every week one movie from India on prime time..say Saturday 7 PM...

The movies could be..."Sathya", "Qayamat se Qayamat Tak","Golmaal","Darr", "Baazigar","Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa,"Jo Jeetha wohi Sikandar","Akele Hum Akele Tum","Parinda","Masoom","Andaz Apna Apna","Asoka","Lagaan","Company","Dil se","Silsila","Maachis",......the list goes on.................

Just a suggestion!!!!whatsay?

I'm really enjoying this series so far. I watched Rangeela, and am taping Sholay. I've always wanted to watch some good Bollywood films, but never had any idea of where to begin. I will say that I wish more older films had been chosen for the series-- stuff that might not be so easy to get on DVD. That's why I like TCM, after all.

I'll also submit that I see no real reason for a Bollywood movie to become a regular weekly thing-- at least, not yet. I think an annual "Bollywood month", with weekly showings, would be great. I definitely hope this idea is used again next year.

Just watched "Sholay". If this film was a huge hit in India it is the best argument for NOT showing any more Indian films. It's like a 3 hr episode of the Monkees! Except with terrible editing,(anybody catch the flash cut from nearly stopped train to one moving at full speed?) "acting", crappy songs, and so-called "humor" that was already stale and corney in VAUDVILLE, for God's sake! 3 HRS! Did the editing dept discard ONE frame of film? Even "The Godfather" was cut until it was under 3 hrs! Why is it that a ton of folks here make the implication that if TMC doesn't show these appalling films that it will'turn into another AMC? What's the reasoning behind that? What, if TMC doesn't show crappy Indian films they will be forced to chop edit the films and show commercials? Based upon WHAT logic and reasonung do you reach THAT dismal conclusion?

It is a wonderful job by TCM. I started to have some quality time in front of TV now with my family, and surprisingly a lot of non indian crowd is having the same feel, as far as I heard. I regret that these movies are shown very late in the night, may be TCM can improve the schedules.

And what's up with the bashers in this thread. Are these guys are aware that this is an entertainment channel discussion. Take your hatred to countries like palestine or iraq or iran..thats where these moths will be fit.

I've enjoyed the heck out of these movies but I do wish that Mr. Ted Turner had another network where the viewership wasn't so full of people that have chosen to stay ignorant of other cultures.

The people that expressed disdain for Bollywood films on this board are simply being rocked out of their comfort zone. While they sound harsh and racist at times, we should just shake and heads and move on, because this is probably not the place for Bollywood movies. Hopefully another cable network like Bravo picks up on this festival and decides to have one of its own. After I watched Bombay, I caught Run Lola Run (German, 1998) on Bravo and I was grinning from ear to ear because of all the foreign films I got to watch in one day.

Interestingly, the Hindi word for 'No' (Ney) sounds very similar to German's 'Neigh' (my spelling might be wrong but im trying to be phonetic about it).

That's not a conincidence, but the average TCM viewer seems to be content with not knowing why so I'll leave it at that.

PS. I doubt that TCM will turn a blind eye to how many younger, varied, viewers have lit up their ratings, and maybe the TCM elite viewers really do have something to worry about here...

Perhaps my biggest complaint with the movies that were chosen is that they really weren't the types of movies that got me to watch bollywood films. rangeela, sholay, amar akbar anthony are ok films, that are enjoyable to many people who like indian films. But to me, it seems that to show these to people who have never seen an indian movie before is a bad idea. I think a lot of the humour in these movies would just be missed by people who aren't pretty familiar with the culture, language, etc... Maybe some people would disagree, but that's my feeling.

The reason I have grown to really like the indian film industry is partially because of what I think that they do much better than other film industries. Great music, great choreography, excellent aesthetics (see Devdas or Hum dil de chuke sanam), less nudity and stuff like that. I also like the different perspective the industry brings on a lot of issues. I thought Mani Rathnam's films like Alai Payuthey (i realize that's the tamil film industry) should have been shown which show how the indian film industry can deal with a common subject like divorce, in a very different way.

The other point is to say that once one has seen some of the indian movies which really showcase great indian songs and choreography, it will really change a person's perspective even on older american musicals. The quality of the music and the technical level of dancing and choreography is something that is really striking. I'm not sure many of the movies chosen really would give anyone this impression.

This is a good suggestion are couple of Indian Channels which are shown on Dish Network.

But an Indian channel on a cable provider which can feature Indian Movies as well as Indian Sports specially "cricket" could make a huge difference and can avoid the racist abuses seen on this message board.

This is a good suggestion.There are couple of Indian Channels which are shown on Dish Network.

But an Indian channel on a cable provider which can feature Indian Movies as well as Indian Sports specially "cricket" could make a huge difference and can avoid the racist abuses seen on this message board.

Hello to all,

This is my first time writing on this message board. I wanted to post a message about the Bollywood movies being shown. I love them! I have enjoyed watching the movies and have stayed up through the night watching them. I love listening to all different types of music from around the world as well as watching movies from abroad. I admire many different cultures and am really very happy to see that a cable channel is providing some diversity in movies. I have been watching classic movies from a very early age and most of my favorites are classics: Roman Holiday(Audrey Hepburn movies),Casablanca,as well as many others(too many to mention). It was very good to see these movies. I used to watch Indian dancing and shows on my local PBS when I was younger. I saw Monsoon Wedding and absolutely loved it...the whole thing...the music, ETC. Had to buy it. I would love to see more of these movies. I watched many but do not know many of the titles except for Amar, Akbar and Anthony which I found enjoyable. There was another I watched just last night which I also liked but forgot the name. Hmmm! Will have to find out. I am now watching Pakeezah.

It is good to see these beautiful movies as well as the American classics as well. I would very much like to see a channel or maybe there is one already that shows Indian movies. I would also love to see TCM play these movies on a regular basis or maybe develop a second channel. :)Take care...

Please get me out of my misery...these films are just not what I watch tcm for. I wish I had never heard of Bollywood, it Boringwood, if you ask me. Why have you done this to your viewer, TCM? What has happened to your theatrical standards?

Please get me out of my misery...these films are just not what I watch tcm for. I wish I had never heard of Bollywood, it Boringwood, if you ask me. Why have you done this to your viewers, TCM? What has happened to your theatrical standards?

Constructive crtiticism is always welcome....but some people in this section instead of enjoying the movies, have gone all out to attack bollywood..If you guys don't want to see these movies fine....there are other millions of other viewers who want to see these movies.....Don't attack TCM for showing these movies...These movies may not be technically correct or may not suite the taste of couple of you guys..but lets enjoy the movies from the biggest movie industry in the world...Bollywood has its own style of making movies and lets respect that...and lets leave it there....I request TCM not to come under pressure of these few people,but continue showing movies from other parts of the world...Being in America people tend to forget that there is a world beyond American movies....Good Job TCM....keep it up...