Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I agree....I never heard from any of my friends that these Bollywood movies were "boring","not good"..etc etc....Infact everyone is so eager to watch these movies...and everyone is enjoying them to the fullest...I am very Happy that TCM has done an excellent job by featuring these movies....and I along with all my friends looking forward to watch these movies more and more ....again and again....

and specially the people who started in the negative manner even before the movies were shown.....has shown them in complete bad taste......

TCM...we are all enjoying the Bollywood movies......Thank you so much for making this month so wonderful....and so special....Rangeela and Dil Chahtha Hai were great....

Long Live America!!!

HI I really don't think these movies are that good and would not feel hurt if this type of movie never appeared again on TCM. I am not prejudiced, I rent to Indian and a Latino families in my apartments. I think that there are, as posted previously, other outlets to exhibit these venues

some people like these movies.....some people doesn't...

If all the people in this world had similar taste and smiliar views..this place would have been much better to live...what my point here is those people are so adament in accepeting the fact that there are a few people who like these movies and they are happy that TCM is showing these movies..thats it..Have patience guys couple of more days in June....and you will have your old TCM back minus Bollywood....

Thanks TCM for showing the Bollywood films. Maybe they aren't everyone's cup of tea, I'm not sure if I'd watch more, but as one of the biggest supplier of films in the world, Indian films are worth a look. I hope you'll look into other areas such as the Eastern European countries. People must understand "classic" films aren't just American. Some of the best films made have been "ferrin'" with those "damn subtitles". Even when I don't enjoy what you're showing, I still applaud you for doing it. TCM is the best channel on and I won't second guess your programming decisions.

Count me in among those who have LOVED the Bollywood films on TCM this month. I had not seen any Indian movies since my university days, when I took a course on Indian cinema as an easy elective. When I took the course, I had the option of seeing key sequences or special screenings of the complete films, where the public was invited. I watched the sequences at first, but soon found myself absorbed enough that I opted to see the complete films. You can really get lost in them, as I recently rediscovered while watching DIL CHAHTHA HAI and SHOLAY on tape recently.

Thanks so much, TCM. Let's see more Indian film on TCM Imports or elsewhere on the schedule soon!

One of the films shown on TCM was BOMBAY and the lead actor was Arvind Swamy. I recently saw him in another film called ROJA. It was very good! Great love story! If anyone is interested, Bollywood or films in Hindi with subtitles can be purchased in DVD form at www.ebay.com and you often get three movies on a DVD. They are cheap and a good way to view Bollywood!

I love Roja! Not only was the film great, so was the soundtrack. The film originally was filmed in the south indian language tamil but was later dubbed into hindi (the songs were dubbed too). If you saw the film in hindi it was probably the dubbed version. For anyone who hasn't seen this movie and wants to check out the music go to:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/l/WW000H05

the best song is "Kadhal Rojave" sung by S.P.Balasubramanium aka SPB. This is one of my favorite songs of all time. Although unfortunately the sound quality on that website isn't as good as it would be on any cd.

I, for 1, refuse to compromise my critical standards to accomodate these films. I have seen more than a few of them, the latest being "Junglee".Leaving aside the poor production values(including songs with so much reverb they sound like they were recorded in the shower)the story is both trite and illogical.In the space of a minute and a half, hero's mother disregards her life-long held values and beliefs, in order to embrace a silly and shallow romance. (After initial hatred, the characters fall in love instantly and for unclear reasons) India's century's old caste system is shrugged off because the hero finds his love's eyes "intoxicating". The movies' theme is that the rich are not inherently superior. What insight! Those folks who keep giving these films unwarranted and inordinate praise are only damaging their credibility(as well as critical judgement) I love to slum Ed Wood films, but I don't fool myself into thinking that they have any real merit. What's next- an appreciation for that unfairly and much maligned classic comedy "Ishtar"?

The eternal question is why some people can't stand if others have different tastes than themselves. People have already lamented TCM's choice in movies for this festival. I don't know why junglee, or rangeela, Amar Akbar Anthony, or even sholay were included. Sholay at least was a very famous movie but the other three (???). I would never have picked Pakeezah either. So complain about that if you will, but generalizing about the entire indian film industry off of just a few films makes you look ignorant.

If you want to see why people get interested in indian films check out the truly great films: Mani Rathnam's films(i.e. Bombay, Roja, Dil Se, Alai Payuthey, etc...), Sanjay Leela Bhansali's films (except Khamoshi, bleh), recent movies like Dil Chahta Hai, Asoka or Lagaan, maybe some Yash Raj films, or the older ones like Raj Kapoor or Dilip Kumar's films. Gunga Jumna, Aan, Chori Chori are some examples. Educate yourself and then complain, otherwise people will disregard your opinion entirely.

I am NOT ragging on the entire Indian film system I am complaining very specifically about THESE wretched films! I think your argument should be with those who lionize them as being great,thus giving the impression that this is the best India has to offer, not with me for pointing out the emperor's new clothes. I have seen such Indian films such as "Chutney Popcorn", "Fire" and others. Unfortunately these kind of films aren't being shown. My knowledge of Indian films may not be as extentsive as your own, but I know dreck when I see it! It's a shame that you can't discuss the issue without resorting to a personal attack.

Slappy, actually that message wasn't intended to be a "personal attack" on you (lol). In fact, it wasn't even directed specifically at you but to all of the other people who have posted rude messages about bollywood films as well.

What I don't get is why you couldn't discuss Sholay or Junglee without insulting the other people who post on this message board. Neither of those movies were my cup of tea either but I'm not going to shove my opinion down everybody's throats. Perhaps if you would try using some tact in your posts we could have a real discussion about bollywood films.

Let me also point out that not only have a number of posts already demonstrated people's complaints with tcm's choices for this festival, I haven't heard tons of people gushing about any of the movies you've complained about either. People are entitled to their own opinion, but I haven't seen any post trying to claim Junglee or Amar Akbar Anthony represent the pinnacle of achievement in the indian film industry. So who is lionizing those films? It's possible TCM is, but the number of complaints by people who know a lot about the indian film industry would indicate TCM isn't a very reliable authority on indian films anyway.

I don't have anything at all against TCM having a "showcase" month for the Bollywood films, I like the chance to see other films-HOWEVER, I have a big disagreement with those few who've said they'd like to see this become a regular thing on TCM-TCM is the only channel out there where you can see classic HOLLYWOOD films,and TCM has let a lot of us long-time fans down as it is, showing movies that couldn't be called "classic" by any stretch of the definition. I know they like to say that a movie doesn't have to be old to be a classic, but in general, that is the accepted definition of the word,and for those of us who consider anything later than Hollywood's "Golden Era" to be beyond "classic", TCM has fallen down on the job a bit. There are other places to see these other movies! There are SO many silent films out there that TCM could be showing(and they aren't consistent with "Silent Sundays" as it is),and we became the loyal fan base because of CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD, SILVER SCREEN movies.It's not a question of being closed-minded,but that's not what made us fans of TCM. This isn't directed at the Bollywood showcase, actually it's interesting to see the film style of another culture, but more at some here who are saying it should be a regular feature. NO, not on TCM! There could be more "showcase" type events, or another channel, but TCM is not the place for it, on a regular basis! The films of the silent era and the Silver Screen era have barely had the surface scratched,showing a completely different genre on a consistent basis would crowd them out even more!And PLEASE don't misunderstand-NOTHING against this showcase, or any that may be in the future-but keep them SHOWCASES, a once-in-a-while thing, NOT turn them into a regular feature! Why, even in the "Complicated Women" showcase last month,which featured films that are "classic Hollywood" by any criteria, there were SO many films that could have been included beyond the ones that were. If TCM begins to "fudge" on its classic Hollywood focus,many of us will need to return to what we did before-seeking these films out on our own and watching them on VHS or DVD,because TCM just won't fill the void anymore. And this is NOT a slam against a "Bollywood", or any other "different" showcase-just don't forget to "now return to our regularly scheduled programming", LOL.

am an American of Indian origin who went to India as a kid and know the culture pretty well. Let me say that half the movies in this lineup were pretty laughable. The first movie Dulhalane Dilwale Jaye with Shah Rukh Khan was a watchable piece of fluff which was similar to comedy central mastercheese theater movie with one difference. It was 3 hours long and it is inexplicably one of the biggest hits in India.

Rangeela, quite frankly, was a big joke. It was the type of movie that would not have looked out of place on Telemundo.

What's a shame is that there were at least two or three movies that fit in well with the TCM theme of movies - Awaara and Pyaasa. These are two movies that don't need the excuse of a bollywood festival to be shown on TCM. TCM blundered by showing these two movies later in the festival at some ungodly hour. Two movies that visually look very similar to some of our older movies. And Mother India, while it dragged on too long in parts after the kid grows up, was really preferable to some of those old Hollywood movies about some indian boy and an elephant or similar stuff. Dil Chatha Hai was good, but should have been edited for a foreign viewing. I would have chopped out most of it's songs and made the movie a 2 hour movie.

Still it is the kind of movie that would have been better suited to Starz or Bravo.

Sholay was really a B movie for us. The problem is a lot of the villain's dialog doesn't get translated well into English subtitles. Otherwise it was not a bad movie.

Ismail Merchant made for a boring host. He kept rambling on without giving us much insight into the movies themselves.

It would have been nice if they showed Teesri manzil with shammi kapoor instead of Junglee. Teesri Manzil is sillier and has a song similar to the Ghost World opening song.

There are also many Dev Anand movies from the 60s they could have chosen that would have worked a bit better for american audiences.

I've enjoyed the Bollywood movies. One of my girlfriends at work is Indian and has lately been plying me with dvds and videos now that i've gotten my feet wet.

The one movie i would encourage everyone to watch is Devdas (2002). Excellent film, well told story, fantastic music and costumes, i can't praise it high enough. Totally gorgeous.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of Bollywood movies. Why? The "Golden Age of Hollywood" lives -- it is alive and well and living in Bollywood! Bollywood movies have the great plots and musical numbers of classic Hollywood films, and

Bollywood stars have the charisma and versatility of the old time Hollywood stars.

I saw the Bollywood film "Devdas" last year; I think it is a masterpiece. I also think that the film "Chicago" would be a terrific remake for Bollywood. My ideal cast would be to reunite the stars from "Devdas" -- Madhuri Dixit as Velma, Aishwarya Rai as Roxy, and Shah Rukh Khan as Billy Flynn. Are there any other Hollywood/Bollywood fans out there who would like to comment on this? Please reply -- I would love to hear from you!

• 8 months later...

RWJWTW,

I am a recent convert of MODERN Bollywood films and like your suggestion of remaking CHICAGO as a Bollywood film! Brilliant! You mention casting AISHWARYA RAI as ROXY and as far as I'm concerned, you could cast her in anything and I would love to see it. I think Aishwarya Rai, alongside France's Emmanuelle Beart, and Angeline Jolie are probably the most stunning women currently making films. That's just personal opinion, but again, CHICAGO as a Bollywood film would be really cool.......

It sounds like what most of you would like to have is your very own Bollywood Channel showing Bollywood and nothing but Bollywood. You should lobby your cable provider. What I would like is more real classic films to be shown on TCM. I know that I am probably in the minority here.

Yeah, that was BRILLIANT, Cornstarkel. I'm glad you can impress sweetbabykmd, but your comment just sits wrong with me. Nobody is saying we want Bollywood films to take over TCM from what I can see. But if you say you want TCM to show 'REAL' classics, does that mean that NO Foreign Films apply? How exactly do YOU define a classic film?

Personally, I would like to see a few more Foreign classics on TCM, but am at least thankful that they decide to show at least one Foreign classic a week, albeit at two in the morning on the weekend. I do tape many of them, and am glad to receive that much from TCM. I don't think you will ever have to worry about TCM ditching their current format, but if you are a true fan of Cinema, you know that 'Classics' can be produced in any country, in any era. Did you see last year's CITY OF GOD? It's a brilliant film from Brazil. Despite it's freshness, or it's country of origin, as a fan of cinema, I would call it a 'Classic.'

Let's just be careful with the semantics, my friend......

SEMANTICS? I have nothing against foreign films and I resent the previous post's inferring that I did. If I had meant "American" Classics, I would have stated exactly that. I thoroughly enjoy foreign classic films as a matter of fact, but have never bought into this hoopla about Bollywood. I find it amusing that someone who considers "Gone With The Wind" to be a "boring Soap Opera of a film" would be preaching to me about anything related to cinema. As you are a self professed "well rounded true fan of cinema" I would be interested in hearing what YOU define as a classic film. If it is a remake of "Chicago" Bollywood style then I will just stick with impressing sweetbabykmd.

Cool your boots, Constarkel. I just didn't like the arrogant tone you used in your post and it's interesting to see that you can dish it out but can't take it when someone calls you on it. Look, I never claimed to be an expert on film, but I know what I like and I stand behind my opinion of 'Gone With The Wind,' wholeheartedly. I have many educated friends, who are also film fans that also find GWTW to be vastly overrated. That's just OUR opinion. I think it was a great spectacle for it's time and isn't without merit. The Cinematography is top-notch. As for the film's content, it really bores me and that's not "preaching." For me, it's just a fact. There are people who buy into the film and more power to them. Although they may not admit it, I think there are probably a few people here who are as unenthused by the film as I am.

Also, I find a Bollywood remake of CHICAGO to be an amusing idea. I never said it would be a classic, but for those with an open mind, it would probably be alot of fun (I'm amused you memorized my posts-that's slightly disconcerting). As far as my definition of a classic film, well, I have my opinion. It is based on my education and experience. As a film fan, I have the right to question or comment on any film I want, Ace. But when I see an so-called classic like 'Gone With The Wind,' and by hour three, I'm ready to lapse off into a coma, then I have every right to question it's merit, especially when people are saying that it's the greatest film of all-time, as if it were a fact! I have nothing against a film's length. I can sit through parts 1&2 of THE GODFATHER, and then watch it all over again a week later. I just want the filmmaker to keep me interested. For those who think that GWTW is the greatest film ever, more power to you. I personally don't agree, but the world continues to turn.

There, now you can continue to impress 'sweetbabykmd.' Knock yourself out...........

The one here with the arrogant tone is the one who feels the need to inform the rest of us that you have "educated film fan friends". This forum allows us to post our opinions and ideas, so you needn't jump all over those who do so.