Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nickdimeo

Bollywood Movies?

I recall working with a sweet guy Vjay from India and he couldn't stand the Bollywood movies. He hated when the cast broke out in song and dance during a dramatic scene

and much preferred American films.

And keith there is nothing wrong with your dislike for the movie "Gone With The Wind" although I feel its a superior production. I say to each his own.

Mongo

sweetbabykmd,

I wasn't informing the "rest of us" on anything. I believe I was addressing one person here. Sorry you got confused..........

Like you, I am a recent Bollywood convert to the extent that I drive friends and family crazy and they think I have gone crazy. But, after watching Lagaan and all the films in the film festival, I was hooked. My favorites from the Festival were Dil Chahta Hai and Awaara. I was kind of bored with Pyassa and could not stand Johnny Walker. Since the festival, I still can't stand some of the forced humor but have learned to fast forward those parts so that I can enjoy the rest of the movie. I have also become more accepting of some of the over the top fight scenes.

I started reading reviews of films and found four sites where I can get quality dvds for under $6 with minimal or no shipping charges. I think I have only watched three or four films with out finding a review and batting 50% on those but, on those that I found reviews, about 90% were worth keeping.

Besides Dil Chahta Hai and Lagaan, my favorite films have been Zakhm, Company, Hum Dil Chuke Sanam, Mast, Hey Ram, Mr. and Mrs. Iyer,Taal, Ek Hasina Thi, Saaya (terrific remake of inferior Dragonfly), 3 Deewarein, Tera Jadoo Chal Gayaa, and Legend of Bhagat Singh. I plan to watch Devdas this summer.

As far as the Chicago reference, I would go with Urmila Matondkar as Roxie and Sushmita Sen as her counterpart. I also like Aishwara and she is in two of the films above but, if you haven't seen Sushmita and Urmila, you are in for a treat. Urmila is nothing but fantastic in Ek Hasina Tha.

I also enjoy some of the remakes from American films, especially those that are better than the films they copied -- especially Awara Paagal Deewana which was a take off on The Whole Nine Yards and stole a scene from The Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the process.

Uggh. This cry for Bollywood movies reminds me of guys like George Jessel who would appear on "The Mike Douglas Show" or "Merv" and wistfully hope that they would "bring back Vaudville." :o these folks appear to be gone now, but what they failed to understand was that Vaudville was replaced by "ENTERTAINMENT". Any V.ville performer who had any talent easily made the transition to movies or radio. Vaudville was merely the vehicle for both corn and gold. The reason there are few "Bollywood" films on cable is the lack of demand for them. The only place I have seen them outside of the Bollywood "Festival" was on foreign language channels that split broadcast time btwn Indian & Korean programing. I hope someone doesn't make a plea for Kabuki theatre next. It's worse than watching GOLF!!!

My sentiments exactly Slappy, and Bollywood movies are so overly censored to the point of being comedic.