Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LesHalles

Hitchcock - Suspicion

My wife and I have been catching the Hitchcock films lately. We've now seen all of the Grant / Hitchcock films concluding with Suspicion this weekend.

Does anyone else think Suspicion is a bad film? And how did Joan Fontaine win an Best Actress for this role? All she did was act surprised the entire film.

The end of the film was horrible also.

Overall, this film is very overrated.

Oh, I hate this film. It is so manipulative and dishonest that it just doesn't work. I never was a big Joan Fontaine fan, but in this movie she's at her most irritating for me. And I love Cary Grant--but not in this.

I have to admit, Suspicion is one of my least favorite Hitchcock film. I find it long and belabored with not enough story to hold my interest. Also I believe the ending had to be changed to pass censors. I think in the original ending he does kill his wife... anyone correct me if I am wrong and I am sure you will :-)

With, among others, Bette Davis up for The Little Foxes and Barbara Stanwyck up for Ball of Fire, I am a bit surprised about Joan Fontaine?s win as well.

Thank you for your replies....

Cary Grant's preformance is the film is also annoying. I'm glad there are people out there who agree.

In the original ending he was supposed to kill his wife. Something about her writing a letter to a family member saying that if something happens to her, her husband would be the murderer, and after he kills her, he mails the letter not knowing that it names him as her killer. I think that would have been a better ending, but supposedly the public wouldn't accept Cary Grant as a murderer, so they changed the ending. At least thats what I had read. Does anyone know for sure?

Here's a quote from the "horse's mouth":

"...I'm not too pleased witht he way Suspicion ends. I had something else in mind. The scene I wanted, but it was never shot, was for Cary Grant to bring her a glass of milk that's been poisoned and Joan Fontaine has just finished a letter to her mother: 'Dear Mother, I'm desperately in love with him, but I don't want to live because he's a killer. Though I'd rather die, I think society should be protected from him.' Then, Cary Grant comes in with the fatal glass and she says, 'Will you mail this letter to Mother for me, dear?' She drinks the milk and dies. Fade out and fade in on one short shot: Cary Grant, whistling cheerfully, walks over to the mailbox and pops the letter in."

Alfred Hitchcock to Francois Truffaut

To those of you complaining about Joan Fontaine's Oscar that year against more worthy opponents, I read that it was a token because of her performance in Rebecca (1940) from the previous year. Many said (and this is not me, but from the numerous books I've read) that Fontaine should have brought home the statue for Rebecca instead of Ginger Rogers for Kitty Foyle (1940). To make up for it, Fontaine was awarded the Oscar the next year on the tails of the Rebecca performance. Who knows?

Never cared for the ending, but the beginning & middle hold a lot of promise. Actually, I really enjoyed Fontaine's performance, and I like the way she looks in this movie. She's attractive in a strange cool/calculating way.