Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was Errol Flynns Best film?

Definitely, The Adventures of Robin Hood. The storyline and supporting cast put this a notch above the other Flynn vehicles, even though most of the films from his hayday, including comedies (Footsteps in the Dark, Never Say Goodbye), are all enjoyable to watch. Virginia City, to me, is the closest in magnitude to Robin Hood, with both a good storyline and a strong supporting cast--regardless of Bogie's miscasting.

Boy this is a tough one! Favorite comedy, Footsteps In the Dark. Favorite swashbuckler, Captain Blood, Favorite Western (if it can be called that) Virginia City, Favorite tug-at-your-heart-strings Gentleman Jim

I really liked him playing John Barrymore in "Too Much, Too Soon." I thought he was very effective and quite touching.

I also thought, the last time I saw a scene from that film, that a good biopic of his life should be done (better than that made-for-TV one that is occasionally shown), and that Kevin Kline would be a good choice to play Flynn,. At least, the older Flynn.

Flynn was genuinely appealing in anything - (though especially in really tight leotard). Even La Bette finally conceded that Errol was terrific in "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex." He was also quite good in that period drama for MGM alongside Greer Garson -- "That Forsythe Woman," is it? Although I haven't seen it in decades, I remember that he was authentically menacing opposite Barbara Stanwyck in a little Warner thriller called "Cry Wolf."

How about "The Adventures of Don Juan," wasn't that considered one of his best?

Apart from being one of the most photogenic actors of any era, Errol could always win the audience over with that devilish Tasmanian sparkle in his eyes. Truly a one of a kind leading man. He makes Brad Pitt look like yesterday's parsley.

My favorite is the irresistible Captain Blood, which he played to perfection.

Many excellent films have been mentioned - I would just like to call to attention three terrific war films: The Dawn Patrol, Desperate Journey, and Objective Burma.

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD is, without doubt, Flynn's greatest film, but his most accomplished performance may be as his friend and idol, John Barrymore, in TOO MUCH, TOO SOON. He's really quite touching and tragic in it -- all the more so because, like Barrymore, Flynn wasn't long for this world when he made the film. Sadly, both men were real crash-and-burn jobs.

Well I love almost every Errol Flynn film. My most favorite though has to be The Adventues Of Robin Hood. That film can lift me out of the deepest, darkest place and puts a smile on my face. I really like Dawn Patrol as well. He has such a range to play in that one.

Although I accept the fact that I am in the extreme minority on this one, my all-time favorite Errol Flynn movie and performance is 'Escape Me Never' , which co-stars Ida Lupino, Eleanor Parker, and Gig Young.

Other favorite Flynn films include:

The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Adventures of Don Juan

Captain Blood

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, and many many more.

• 1 month later...

You can't argue with Robin Hood. Clearly the most popular. But I like THE SEA HAWK. Rapidly paced. Simple, but intelligent. Cute relationships. Very satisfying to me. I just saw SANTA FE TRAIL again. Another fine Michael Curtiz drama. And I'd forgotten how well written THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON is. If you haven't seen it, please do. All these movies have a direct, uncomplicated story line that I appreciate. I miss that.

Red River

It just occurred to me that while Robin Hood is indubitadlyFlynn's best all round film, and, I suspect, will be cherished as long as film exists, there were some movies in which his acting was often much quieter and in which he occasionally strove for some depth. One example of this would be his excellent work in Dawn Patrol, especially in the interior scenes with the raw recruits.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, his work in The Sun Also Rises and Too Much, Too Soon was poignant and could be moving. I also like him in another late career role in The Roots of Heaven, (oh, what mischief he and Trevor Howard must've gotten up to off camera on that one). Another overlooked Flynn performance that has moments of some subtlety came and went during his halcyon years at Warners in Uncertain Glory(1944) opposite Paul Lukas. An easy choice for that "interesting failure" thread, it gives Flynn a more demanding part than usual as a condemned criminal in occupied France who finds some redemption through one act of considerable courage.

zootie, I agree completely.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, Directed by Michael Curtiz)

Gentleman Jim (1942, Directed by Raoul Walsh)

(Flynn did his own boxing -- and never made Gent. Jim 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6)

and since nobody's stopping me I'll also list:

The Sea Hawk (1940, Directed by Michael Curtiz)

includes my favorite film score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold

I say it's not a real Errol Flynn movie without Alan Hale.