Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LawrenceA

Films of 2016

Here's a thread to discuss any and all films released within the calendar year of 2016. Talk about what you've seen, what you want to see, what you don't want to see. This is the place for all of your reviews of such upcoming treasures as Boo! A Madea Halloween or The Divergent Series: Part 43 or Batman v Superman v Captain America v Board of Education or the inevitable opening-night review of the new  Ghostbusters by LornaHansonForbes.

• Like 1

I don't plan on seeing any movie this year that will be released this soon- I tend to watch movies that are independent film festival type - but I would love to read Lorna's review.

10 Cloverfield Lane - (7/10) - Belated pseudo-sequel to the divisive 2008 movie Cloverfield. That first film dealt with an unexplained giant monster attack in NYC, and was shot in the "found footage" style: everything shot with a video camera, as if by one of the characters within the film, with all the shakiness and amateurishness one would expect. The idea is to lend the film added verisimilitude and place the viewer within the narrative. This works only occasionally, and in my opinion Cloverfield was one time that it did. However, that being said, this sequel does away with that narrative device, and is shot in a traditional, stationary manner, with known actors and professional cinematography. 

The story follows Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), a young woman in an unhappy relationship who packs her bags and hits the road, leaving her boyfriend and driving toward parts unknown. She suffers a terrible car accident, and when she awakens, she's chained up in the underground bomb shelter of the distinctly odd Howard (John Goodman), a conspiracy theorist and survival nut who claims that while Michelle was unconscious, the world up above has come to an end. What caused it, he isn't sure (Russian nukes? Terrorist bio-weapons? Alien invaders?), but he knows it isn't safe to step outside. Also in the shelter is goofy country boy Emmett (John Gallagher Jr.), a former employee of Howard's in the construction of the shelter.

The vast majority of the movie is a slow-burn suspense drama, as Michelle tries to learn more about her surroundings, and the two roommates she's now forced to live with. You know Howard isn't all there, but just how far gone is he? Or are his most outlandish claims only the tip of the iceberg? These scenes are well-done for the most part, and the actors are all good, especially Goodman, who uses his bulk to great advantage. Winstead does great work as well, using her eyes more than anything to project her performance. The problems for me came in the relatively uninspired script. There wasn't really a beat in the film that I didn't see coming, and all of the characters ended up where I expected within the first 10 minutes of the film. The dialogue, too, while showing a tiny bit of wit here and there, doesn't hold the viewers attention as well as hoped. I won't go into the film's last act, only to say that "Cloverfield" is in the title for a reason, but don't expect the giant monster action of the first film. Directorial debut of Dan Trachtenberg. From Paramount.

P.S.: This is sitting at 90% Certified Fresh at RottenTomatoes, so a lot of people are getting more out of it than I did.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to Zack Snyder's BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE.

The movie is a follow-up to MAN OF STEEL (2013), which dealt with the origins of Superman.

The Batman/Superman confrontation was inspired by the comic book series THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by Frank Miller.

(By the way Frank Miller is almost 60 years old so he's no "millennial."  Sorry, haters!)

Here is a fantastic supercut of all trailers for the movie to date created by a You Tuber.

The footage is cut in what is believed to be chronological order.

Reprising their roles from MAN OF STEEL are Heny Cavill as Superman (Kal-El)/Clark Kent, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White and Diane Lane as Martha Kent. 

They are joined in BATMAN V SUPERMAN by Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne, Jeremy Irons as Alfred Pennyworth, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Holly Hunter as Senator Finch and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince.

I'm especially excited to see Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing the Batman/Superman movie, though I'm skeptical about Ben Affleck as Batman, but we'll see.

I also want to see Deadpool.  I'll probably end up seeing the next Captain America movie as well.

I really want to see Finding Dory that comes out in June.

I wanted to see Hail Caesar, but haven't yet.  I may wait for RedBox for this movie.

I'll probably end up seeing more of the 2016 releases.  Some may be theater worthy, others may be more RedBox worthy. 

The trailers before the film yesterday were dreadful, with the hesitant exception of X-Men: Apocalypse, which looks about 55% unlikely to be a trainwreck. Besides the aforementioned Ghostbusters trailer, there were also trailers for:

Criminal - Direct-to-video looking action film with Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones. Costner is the title criminal who is chosen to have a deceased secret agent's memories implanted into his head so that his superiors (Oldman and Jones) can learn the location of  a missing terrorist. With Ryan Reynolds in flashback as the dead agent, and Gal Gadot as his widow. Looks derivative and routine.

The Conjuring 2 - sequel to the hit ghost film that wowed audiences much more than it did me. This time the paranormal investigator couple (Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson) travel to England to help a possessed child. Yawn.

Hardcore Henry - A headache-inducing exercise in annoying style, this action film is shot completely in the first person perspective, so it looks like a video game. Ugh.

Everybody Wants Some - Richard Linklater's psuedo-sequel to Dazed & Confused. Instead of that film's high-schoolers in the late 70's, this is college kids in the early 80's. It will probably be fine, but while watching the trailer I wondered how long I would have to watch before I was able to tell the various cast members apart. They all looked the same.

The Huntsman: Winter's War - Another unasked for movie, this time a follow-up to the mediocre at best Snow White and the Huntsman. This prequel is about the rivalry between magical sisters Charlize Theron (returning from the original) and Emily Blunt. Blunt's character turns into an Ice Queen and recruits children as an army. Two of the kids grow up into Chris Hemsworth (also returning) and Jessica Chastain. A whole bunch of CGI then happens. As I watched, I kept wondering why these 3 great actresses were doing this dross, but they gotta eat, I suppose.

Star Trek: Beyond - Just terrible. The new crew is back, this time listening to the Beastie Boys while they perform acrobatic stunts and act like they're in a bad 90's sitcom. Idiris Elba is playing the new alien bad guy, but I'm not sure if he's shown in the trailer at all. If so, it doesn't make a visual impression.

The trailers before the film yesterday were dreadful, with the hesitant exception of X-Men: Apocalypse, which looks about 55% unlikely to be a trainwreck. Besides the aforementioned Ghostbusters trailer, there were also trailers for:

Criminal - Direct-to-video looking action film with Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones. Costner is the title criminal who is chosen to have a deceased secret agent's memories implanted into his head so that his superiors (Oldman and Jones) can learn the location of  a missing terrorist. With Ryan Reynolds in flashback as the dead agent, and Gal Gadot as his widow. Looks derivative and routine.

The Conjuring 2 - sequel to the hit ghost film that wowed audiences much more than it did me. This time the paranormal investigator couple (Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson) travel to England to help a possessed child. Yawn.

Hardcore Henry - A headache-inducing exercise in annoying style, this action film is shot completely in the first person perspective, so it looks like a video game. Ugh.

Everybody Wants Some - Richard Linklater's psuedo-sequel to Dazed & Confused. Instead of that film's high-schoolers in the late 70's, this is college kids in the early 80's. It will probably be fine, but while watching the trailer I wondered how long I would have to watch before I was able to tell the various cast members apart. They all looked the same.

The Huntsman: Winter's War - Another unasked for movie, this time a follow-up to the mediocre at best Snow White and the Huntsman. This prequel is about the rivalry between magical sisters Charlize Theron (returning from the original) and Emily Blunt. Blunt's character turns into an Ice Queen and recruits children as an army. Two of the kids grow up into Chris Hemsworth (also returning) and Jessica Chastain. A whole bunch of CGI then happens. As I watched, I kept wondering why these 3 great actresses were doing this dross, but they gotta eat, I suppose.

Star Trek: Beyond - Just terrible. The new crew is back, this time listening to the Beastie Boys while they perform acrobatic stunts and act like they're in a bad 90's sitcom. Idiris Elba is playing the new alien bad guy, but I'm not sure if he's shown in the trailer at all. If so, it doesn't make a visual impression.

It seems now that films are made with the intention of them being trilogies, tetralogies, pentalogies, etc. What happened to making one film, seeing if the audiences even responded and then developing a sequel? In the Golden Age all the way through probably the late 70s, it seems that there were very few sequels.  It wasn't until the blockbuster era, dare I say it started roughly with Star Wars? When it was decided to "sequel-ize" everything to death until the series was run into the ground.  At least the Star Wars films, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future trilogies were all pretty good, though it's probably not a stretch to say that the first one of each series were the best. 

Now it seems that every movie that comes out is already a planned sequel.  I suppose I can see that if there is a lot of source material that necessitates a sequel, like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.  Though lately, it seems that movies are purposely stretched out in order to create more films.  The last Harry Potter film, the last Twilight movie, all the Hobbit movies, just to name a few examples.  

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to seeing the Batman/Superman movie, though I'm skeptical about Ben Affleck as Batman, but we'll see.

I also want to see Deadpool.  I'll probably end up seeing the next Captain America movie as well.

I wanted to see Hail Caesar, but haven't yet.  I may wait for RedBox for this movie.

I'll probably end up seeing more of the 2016 releases.  Some may be theater worthy, others may be more RedBox worthy. 

I've been told by ClassicMovieRankings that there is a poster for Gregory Peck's film The Gunfighter in Deadpool.  He has tried two times to find it but it was mentioned in the ending credit thank-yous  for permission.

I could see me watching it to try and find the poster.  And Ryan R. is a fellow Canadian who is a good actor.

I've been told by ClassicMovieRankings that there is a poster for Gregory Peck's film The Gunfighter in Deadpool.  He has tried two times to find it but it was mentioned in the ending credit thank-yous  for permission.

I could see me watching it to try and find the poster.  And Ryan R. is a fellow Canadian who is a good actor.

Just a warning if you see this film, I heard that it was very violent and earned every bit of it's R-rating.

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't tell you what is specifically in the film.

• Like 1

So far the only thing i know of i want to and will see is 

Hail, Caesar!

MV5BMjQyODc3MTI2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDMx

I'll keep an eye out here and elsewhere to see if anything looks promising as we go along

• Like 1

I was also skeptical of the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman until i saw some trailers for BATMAN V SUPERMAN.

I think he's going to be really good in the role after having seen some of the clips with him. 

• Like 1

I was also skeptical of the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman until i saw some trailers for BATMAN V SUPERMAN.

I think he's going to be really good in the role after having seen some of the clips with him. 

Hopefully he doesn't try to copy Christian Bale's "Batman voice."  Despite how good the films are, I always thought Bale's growly Batman voice was kind of silly.

Hopefully he doesn't try to copy Christian Bale's "Batman voice."  Despite how good the films are, I always thought Bale's growly Batman voice was kind of silly.

In a clip from one of the trailers. Ben Affleck as Batman does use a deeper (huskier) voice than his Bruce Wayne voice --- he asks Superman "Do you bleed?" and then says "You will" after Superman flies away. But at least from that clip it's not to the degree of  growliness that Christian Bale's Batman voice was.

It sounds even sillier in the new movie, judging by the ads. But it may just be when he's wearing his "Superman-buster" armor.

Deadpool - (8/10) - I finally went to see this today, a month after its release, and I'm very glad I did. It's a superhero movie and a satire of superhero movies at the same time. It's vulgar, gratuitous, and hilarious. Ryan Reynolds was born to play the motor-mouthed smart aleck of the title, a former special forces soldier who undergoes an experimental treatment to hopefully cure his end-stage cancer. However, he's been duped. He's actually a guinea pig for a group that is trying to activate the possible latent mutant super powers of its subjects. It works on Reynolds, who develops superfast healing abilities. The bad part is it has also left him covered from head-to-toe in scar tissue. He dons a costume to try and track down the people responsible, who he believes capable of healing his damaged appearance, so he can reunite with his lady love Vanessa, played by the beautiful Morena Baccarin. He also has to deal with two of the X-Men who keep trying to get Deadpool to join their ranks.

Filled with constant, unending visual and verbal gags, pop-culture references, and meta-narrative moments, such as Deadpool constantly breaking the fourth wall to directly address the audience, or when he's being taken to meet Professor X of the X-Men, Deadpool asks if it will be Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy, or when Deadpool asks if the reason that the same 2 X-Men keep showing up is because 20th Century Fox is too cheap to hire more to appear in the movie. There's also one of the funniest, raunchiest romantic courtship sequences in recent memory. Ed Skrein and Gina Carano make decent, if unspectacular, villains, and T.J. Miller is good as the comic relief friend. There's also an unbelievable role for singer and actress Leslie Uggams.

If you don't like superhero movies, you will still probably dislike this. And if you're easily offended by raunchy language or sexual banter, this isn't for you. But I loved it, and I think a few of you may too, with the right (wrong?) sensibilities. I mean, what other superhero wears a Bea Arthur T-shirt and listens to Wham!?

• Like 1

Deadpool - (8/10) -

If you don't like superhero movies, you will still probably dislike this. And if you're easily offended by raunchy language or sexual banter, this isn't for you. But I loved it, and I think a few of you may too, with the right (wrong?) sensibilities. I mean, what other superhero wears a Bea Arthur T-shirt and listens to Wham!?

I haven't seen this movie yet, but plan to.  I would love to wear a Bea Arthur T-Shirt and listen to Wham! Sounds like Deadpool is my kind of man.

• Like 1

If I made superhero movies, they would involve an Amerindian bisexual who won battles with the power of forgiveness, but who took no ***** from fascists.

I'm planning to see Hail Caesar! tonight, largely because it's free for me to do so.  I'm much more thrilled to see Knight of Cups.

• Like 1

I'm much more thrilled to see Knight of Cups.

If you see this, please leave a review here. I'm looking forward to it, but know I won't get to see it until the DVD release. I know it's received poor reviews so far, but I'm a Malick fan, so I'm holding out hope.

Is Ellen DeGeneres providing the voice for Dory in the new movie as she did in FINDING NEMO?

• Like 1

Is Ellen DeGeneres providing the voice for Dory in the new movie as she did in FINDING NEMO?

Based on a promo I saw for the film I would say yes (i.e. it sure sounded like her).

Did anyone go see that Batman/Superman movie? Or was it too bad to discuss?

YEP, I saw it over a week ago & obviously it will be yet another mega-hit w/fans,etc Personally, I only thought it was ok (**1/2-out of four stars) at best & really got out of control in it's last quarter

Next to see "The Jungle Book' remake

THANK YOU

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of THE JUNGLE BOOK, which is a live action movie from Disney.

I love the original Disney animated version and the Korda live action version from 1942.

Here's a clip i found of Christopher Walken as King Louie in the new movie performing "I Wanna Be Like You."

Supposedly this is from the original soundtrack, but it sounds  like someone doing a Christopher Walken imitation.