Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"La La Land," expected to be a multiple nominee for Academy Awards on Tuesday, was named Film of the Year at the London Critics' Circle Film Awards. But it was the musical's only win of the evening. "Moonlight," another Oscars frontrunner won awards in the Supporting Actor of the Year and Supporting Actress of the Year categories. The British production "Love & Friendship," based on a Jane Austen tale, also received two awards.

The French star Isabelle Huppert received two awards: Actress of the Year and a prize for career excellence.

lalaland.jpg

The romantic musical "La La Land" is headlined by Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone

The full list of winners at the 37th annual London Critics' Circle Film Awards is as follows:

FILM OF THE YEAR
"La La Land"

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
"Toni Erdmann" (Germany)

DOCUMENTARY OF THE YEAR
"Fire at Sea"

BRITISH/IRISH FILM OF THE YEAR
"I, Daniel Blake"

ACTOR OF THE YEAR
Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"

ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
Isabelle Huppert, "Things to Come"

SUPPORTING ACTOR OF THE YEAR
(tie) Mahershala Ali, "Moonlight" and Tom Bennett, "Love & Friendship"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
Naomie Harris, "Moonlight"

DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR
László Nemes, "Son of Saul"

SCREENWRITER OF THE YEAR
Kenneth Lonergan, "Manchester by the Sea"

BRITISH/IRISH ACTOR
Andrew Garfield, "Hacksaw Ridge" and "Silence"

BRITISH/IRISH ACTRESS
Kate Beckinsale, "Love & Friendship"

YOUNG BRITISH/IRISH PERFORMER
Lewis MacDougall, "A Monster Calls"

BREAKTHROUGH BRITISH/IRISH FILMMAKER
Babak Anvari, "Under the Shadow"

BRITISH/IRISH SHORT FILM
"Sweet Maddie Stone," Brady Hood

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT
"Victoria" -- Sturla Brandth Grovlen, cinematography

DILYS POWELL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN FILM
Isabelle Huppert

Mick Jackson's Denial (2016) is easily one of the ten best films of the year.  David Hare's remarkable screenplay tells the true story of Deborah Lipstadt's libel lawsuit defence against holocaust denier, David Irving.   Irving, not liking the criticism that had been levelled against him by Lipstadt in one of her books sued her for libel which in effect forced her to go to court to prove that the holocaust did indeed happen.  To complicate matters, in a British court of law the onus was on Lipstadt to prove that Irving had consciously lied and manipulated facts in his denial.  It represents a great case about where freedom of speech leaves off and legal accountability for creating and spreading lies begins.  How is that for a hot topic!  Even when Irving loses the case he stands outside the court and gives interviews telling the press that he has won.  The theory being if you tell lies often enough it becomes the truth.  Sound familiar?  The entire cast is terrific.  Timothy Spall, Tom Wilkinson and Andrew Scott are standouts.

• Like 2
"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" and "Zoolander 2" led the list of nominations Monday for the 37th annual Golden Raspberry Awards. Both films were nominated for Worst Picture of 2016.

Other nominees for Worst Picture: "Dirty Grandpa," "Gods of Egypt," the documentary "Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party" and "Independence Day: Resurgence." 

Golden Raspberry organizers said the number of nominees in each category was raised from five to six because of a lack of quality films in 2016.

Zoolander_2_14551420569308.jpg
Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson returned as high-fashion mavens in "Zoolander 2"

The Razzies were first issued in 1980 as a spoof of the Academy Awards. The nominations are traditionally revealed the day before the Oscar contenders are unveiled. And the winners of the Razzies are announced the day before the Academy Awards are presented.

This year's winners will be announced on Saturday, February 25, 2017.

Here are the nominees for the 37th annual Razzie Awards:

WORST PICTURE
"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"
"Dirty Grandpa"
"Gods of Egypt"
"Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party"
"Independence Day: Resurgence"
"Zoolander 2"

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIPOFF OR SEQUEL
"Alice Through the Looking Glass"
"Fifty Shades of Black"
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows"
"Zoolander 2"

WORST ACTOR
Ben Affleck, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"
Gerard Butler, "Gods of Egypt" and "London Has Fallen"
Henry Cavill, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"
Robert De Niro, "Dirty Grandpa"

Dinesh D’Souza (as himself), "Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party"
Ben Stiller, "Zoolander 2"

56f65ae1c03c0e2b9038588b.jpg
Affleck and Cavill both received Worst Actor nods for "Batman v Superman"

WORST ACTRESS
Megan Fox, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows"
Tyler Perry (as Madea), "Boo! A Madea Halloween"
Julia Roberts, "Mother’s Day"
Becky Turner (as Hillary Clinton), "Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party"
Naomi Watts, "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" and "Shut In"
Shailene Woodley, "The Divergent Series: Allegiant"

WORST DIRECTOR
Dinesh D’Souza and 
Bruce Schooley, "Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party"
Roland Emmerich, "Independence Day: Resurgence"
Tyler Perry, "Boo! A Madea Halloween"
Alex Proyas, "Gods of Egypt"
Zack Snyder, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"
Ben Stiller, "Zoolander 2"

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Nicolas Cage, "Snowden"
Johnny Depp, "Alice Through the Looking Glass"
Jesse Eisenberg, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"
Will Ferrell, "Zoolander 2"
Jared Leto, "Suicide Squad"
Owen Wilson, "Masterminds" and "Zoolander 2"

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Julianne Hough, "Dirty Grandpa"
Kate Hudson, "Mother’s Day"
Aubrey Plaza, "Dirty Grandpa"
Jane Seymour, "Fifty Shades of Black"
Sela Ward, "Independence Day: Resurgence"
Kristen Wiig, "Masterminds" and "Zoolander 2"

WORST SCREENPLAY
"Dirty Grandpa"
"Gods of Egypt"
"Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party"
"Suicide Squad"

WORST SCREEN COMBO

Ben Affleck and his BFF (Baddest Foe Forever) Henry Cavill, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"

Any 2 Egyptian Gods or Mortals, "Gods of Egypt"
Johnny Depp and his “vomitously vibrant costume,” "Alice Through the Looking Glass"

The Entire Cast of Once Respected Actors, "Collateral Beauty"

Tyler Perry and “That Same Old Worn Out Wig,” "Boo! A Madea Halloween"

Ben Stiller and his BFF (Barely Funny Friend) Owen Wilson, "Zoolander 2"

2.gif

Johnny Depp and his costume are nominated for Worst Combo

Despite its stylishness and good performances I never felt engaged by Barry Jenkins' Moonlight (2016).  I thought Lee Daniels' Precious (2009) which was also about a socially withdrawn youth with an abusive single mother was much better.   Mahershala Ali is picking up lots of awards for his memorable role as a sympathetic crack dealer in Moonlight.  Playing against type certainly helps.  London born Naomie Harris is a standout as the addicted mother.  I'm amazed by how well British actresses do at playing Americans.

In the British tradition, actors learn vocal technique. Most American actors do not. This leads to situations like a TV soap, Brothers and Sisters, having a Welsh actor (Matthew Rhys) and an Australian actress (Rachel Griffiths) playing American siblings, quite believably too.

I agree completely with your praise for Naomie Harris.

I thought La La Land (2016) was okay .. pleasant .. fun.  But those are not words one might choose to praise a film that is sweeping awards across America.  Emma Stone is certainly very good too.  I got the everyday person breaks into song and dance schtick.  It was a clear nod to Jacques Demy.  But if a character drifts off into fantasy land and starts dancing in downtown LA wouldn't she wish to be more like Ginger Rogers than Emma Stone, Fred Astaire instead of Ryan Gosling?  At least for those moments?  Yes, it is fun to watch Stone and Gosling hoof it as well as act but I think I would have been more entertained by superlative dancing.  George Chakiris and Rita Moreno.  But maybe that's just me.

Continued from the previous section:

Best Cinematography: 

• "Arrival," Bradford Young
  • "La La Land," Linus Sandgren
  • "Lion," Greig Fraser
  • "Moonlight," James Laxton
  • "Silence," Rodrigo Prieto
Best Production Design: 
  • "Arrival" -- Patrice Vermette (production design); Paul Hotte (set decoration)
  • "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" -- Stuart Craig (production design); Anna Pinnock (set decoration)
  • "Hail, Caesar!" -- Jess Gonchor (production design); Nancy Haigh (set decoration)
  • "La La Land" -- David Wasco (production design); Sandy Reynolds-Wasco (set decoration)
  • "Passengers" -- Hendrix Dyas (production design); Gene Serdena (set decoration)
Best Costume Design: 
  • "Allied," Joanna Johnston
  • "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," Colleen Atwood
  • "Florence Foster Jenkins," Consolata Boyle
  • "Jackie," Madeline Fontaine
  • "La La Land," Mary Zophres

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: 

• "A Man Called Ove," Eva von Bahr and Love Larson
  • "Star Trek Beyond," Joel Harlow and Richard Alonzo
  • "Suicide Squad," Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson
Best Film Editing:
  • "Arrival," Joe Walker
  • "Hacksaw Ridge," John Gilbert
  • "Hell or High Water," Jake Roberts
  • "La La Land," Tom Cross
  • "Moonlight," Nat Saunders and Joi McMillon
Best Visual Effects:
  • "Deepwater Horizon," Craig Hammack, Jason Snell, Jason Billington and Burt Dalton
  • "Doctor Strange," Stephane Ceretti, Richard Bluff, Vincent Cirelli and Paul Corbould
  • "The Jungle Book," Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Dan Lemmon
  • "Kubo and the Two Strings," Steve Emerson, Oliver Jones, Brian McLean and Brad Schiff
  • "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story," John Knoll, Mohen Leo, Hal Hickel and Neil Corbould
Best Sound Editing:
  • "Arrival," Sylvain Bellemare
  • "Deepwater Horizon," Wylie Stateman and Renée Tondelli
  • "Hacksaw Ridge," Robert Mackenzie and Andy Wright
  • "La La Land," Ai-Ling Lee and Mildred Iatrou Morgan
  • "Sully," Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman

Best Sound Mixing:
  • "Arrival," Bernard Gariépy Strobl and Claude La Haye
  • "Hacksaw Ridge," Kevin O’Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie and Peter Grace
  • "La La Land," Andy Nelson, Ai-Ling Lee and Steve A. Morrow
  • "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story," David Parker, Christopher Scarabosio and Stuart Wilson
  • "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi," Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Mac Ruth

Continued from the previous section:

Best Animated Feature: 

• "Kubo and the Two Strings," Travis Knight and Arianne Sutner
  • "Moana," John Musker, Ron Clements and Osnat Shurer
  • "My Life As a Zucchini," Claude Barras and Max Karli
  • "The Red Turtle," Michael Dudok de Wit and Toshio Suzuki
  • "Zootopia," Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Clark Spencer
Best Foreign Language Film: 
  • "Land of Mine" (Denmark)
  • "A Man Called Ove" (Sweden)
  • "The Salesman" (Iran)
  • "Tanna" (Australia)
  • "Toni Erdmann" (Germany)
Best Documentary Feature: 
  • "Fire at Sea," Gianfranco Rosi and Donatella Palermo
  • "I Am Not Your Negro," Raoul Peck, Rémi Grellety and Hébert Peck
  • "Life, Animated," Roger Ross Williams and Julie Goldman
  • "O.J.: Made in America," Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow
  • "13th," Ava DuVernay, Spencer Averick and Howard Barish

Best Documentary Short Subject: 

• "Extremis," Dan Krauss
  • "4.1 Miles," Daphne Matziaraki
  • "Joe’s Violin," Kahane Cooperman and Raphaela Neihausen
  • "Watani: My Homeland," Marcel Mettelsiefen and Stephen Ellis
  • "The White Helmets," Orlando von Einsiedel and Joanna Natasegara
Best Live Action Short Film:
  • "Ennemis Intérieurs," Sélim Azzazi
  • "La Femme et le TGV," Timo von Gunten and Giacun Caduff
  • "Silent Nights," Aske Bang and Kim Magnusson
  • "Sing," Kristof Deák and Anna Udvardy
  • "Timecode," Juanjo Giménez
Best Animated Short Film:
  • "Blind Vaysha," Theodore Ushev
  • "Borrowed Time," Andrew Coats and Lou Hamou-Lhadj
  • "Pear Cider and Cigarettes," Robert Valley and Cara Speller
  • "Pearl," Patrick Osborne
  • "Piper," Alan Barillaro and Marc Sondheimer
Best Original Score
  • "Jackie," Mica Levi
  • "La La Land," Justin Hurwitz
  • "Lion," Dustin O’Halloran and Hauschka
  • "Moonlight," Nicholas Britell
  • "Passengers," Thomas Newman
Best Original Song
  • "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" from "La La Land" -- Justin Hurwitz (music); Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (lyrics)
  • "Can’t Stop The Feeling" from "Trolls" -- Justin Timberlake, Max Martin and Karl Johan Schuster (music and lyrics) 
  • "City Of Stars" from "La La Land" --  Justin Hurwitz (music); Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (lyrics)
  • "The Empty Chair" from "Jim: The James Foley Story" -- J. Ralph and Sting (music and lyrics)
  • "How Far I'll Go" from "Moana" -- Lin-Manuel Miranda (music and lyric)

Continued in the next section:

"La La Land," director Damien Chazelle's revival of the movie musical, received a whopping 14 Academy Award nominations on Tuesday -- including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress. The film tied the record for most Oscar nominations, also held by "All About Eve" (1950) and "Titanic" (1997).

Other films earning multiple nominations included "Arrival" and "Moonlight" (eight apiece), "Hacksaw Ridge," "Lion" and "Manchester by the Sea" (six each), "Fences" and "Hell or High Water" (four apiece) and "Hidden Figures" and "Jackie" (three each).

lll_d41-d42_06803_r-h_2016.jpg

"La La Land" stars Gosling and Stone earned 2016 Oscar nominations for their acting

The 89th annual Academy Awards will be televised by ABC on Sunday, February 26, 2017. Here are the nominees in all categories:

Best Picture: 
  • "Arrival," Shawn Levy, Dan Levine, Aaron Ryder and David Linde, producers (Paramount Pictures)
  • "Fences," Scott Rudin, Denzel Washington and Todd Black, producers (Paramount Pictures)
  • "Hacksaw Ridge," Bill Mechanic and David Permut, producers (Pandemonium Films)
  • "Hell or High Water," Carla Hacken and Julie Yorn, producers (CBS Films)
  • "Hidden Figures," Donna Gigliotti, Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, Pharrell Williams and Theodore Melfi, producers (20th Century Fox)
  • "La La Land," Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz and Marc Platt, producers (Lionsgate)
  • "Lion," Emile Sherman, Iain Canning and Angie Fielder, producers (The Weinstein Company)
  • "Manchester by the Sea," Matt Damon, Kimberly Steward, Chris Moore, Lauren Beck and Kevin J. Walsh, producers (Amazon Studios/Roadside)
  • "Moonlight," Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, producers (A24)
Best Director: 
  • Damien Chazelle, "La La Land"
  • Mel Gibson, "Hacksaw Ridge"
  • Barry Jenkins, "Moonlight"
  • Kenneth Lonergan, "Manchester by the Sea"
  • Dennis Villeneuve, "Arrival"
Best Actor: 
  • Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"
  • Andrew Garfield, "Hacksaw Ridge"
  • Ryan Gosling, "La La Land"
  • Viggo Mortensen, "Captain Fantastic"
  • Denzel Washington, "Fences"
Best Actress: 
  • Isabelle Huppert, "Elle"
  • Ruth Negga, "Loving"
  • Natalie Portman, "Jackie"
  • Emma Stone, "La La Land"
  • Meryl Streep, "Florence Foster Jenkins"
Best Supporting Actor: 
  • Mahershala Ali, "Moonlight"
  • Jeff Bridges, "Hell or High Water"
  • Lucas Hedges, "Manchester by the Sea"
  • Dev Patel, "Lion"
  • Michael Shannon, "Nocturnal Animals"
Best Supporting Actress: 
  • Viola Davis, "Fences" 
  • Naomie Harris, "Moonlight"
  • Nicole Kidman, "Lion"
  • Octavia Spencer, "Hidden Figures"
  • Michelle Williams, "Manhattan by the Sea"
Best Original Screenplay
  • "Hell or High Water," written by Taylor Sheridan
  • "La La Land," written by Damien Chazelle
  • "The Lobster," written by Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthimis Filippou
  • "Manchester by the Sea," written by Kenneth Lonergan 
  • "20th Century Women," written by Mike Mills
Best Adapted Screenplay
  • "Arrival," screenplay by Eric Heisserer; based on the 1998 novella “Story of Your Life” by Ted Chiang
  • "Fences," screenplay by August Wilson (posthumous); based on his 1987 play  
  • "Hidden Figures," screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi; based on the 2016 nonfiction book "Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race" by Margot Lee Shetterly
  • "Lion," screenplay by Luke Davies; adapted from the 2014 nonfiction book “A Long Way Home” by Saroo Brierley
  • "Moonlight," written by Barry Jenkins; based on a story by Tarell McCraney

Continued in the next section:
  • Like 1

Not a lot of surprises with the Oscar nominations. I only missed 4 in the major categories. I thought Amy Adams would get a nod for Arrival, but they went with Ruth Negga in Loving. And I thought Hugh Grant would get a Supporting Actor nod for Florence Foster Jenkins, but instead Michael Shannon got one for Nocturnal Animals.

I only had four guesses in the Best Director category, and one of mine was wrong. I had Scorsese down for Silence, but it ended up being a near wash-out at the Oscars this year, only grabbing a cinematography nod. The two noms I missed were Denis Villenueve for Arrival and Mel Gibson for Hacksaw Ridge, the latter of which was a surprise given his reputation.

• Like 1

I was surprised that there were only nine nominations for Best Picture. I figured "The Silence" would be the 10th in that category. Since the Academy increased the number of Best Picture nominees from five to as many as 10 in 2009, there have only been 10 in the category twice.

The omission of Amy Adams from the Best Actress category was bittersweet news. On the one hand, she was deserving of a nomination because of her performances in "Arrival" and "Nocturnal Animals." On the other, an Oscar loss would be her sixth, tying her with actresses Glenn Close, Deborah Kerr and Thelma Ritter for futility at the awards show.

Didn't see Mel Gibson's Best Director nomination coming, either, because he's had a bumpy ride since his Oscar wins for "Braveheart" two decades ago.

I also was surprised that "Deadpool" didn't get a nomination. In recent weeks, it had been recognized by the Directors Guild of America, the Writers Guild of America and the Producers Guild of America. I'm sure Wade Wilson will have something to say about this in the "Deadpool" sequel next year.

deadpool-has-two-end-credits-scenes-here

• Like 1

Jody Lee Lipes was robbed. He certainly deserved a Best Cinematography nod for Manchester by the Sea. I much preferred his work on this film to Moonlight's cinematography, which I did mostly like, and as I mentioned earlier, the trailer for Silence looked like a 2016 visual cliche. Everything blue-toned! How original and imaginative . . . NOT.

Jody Lee Lipes was robbed. He certainly deserved a Best Cinematography nod for Manchester by the Sea. I much preferred his work on this film to Moonlight's cinematography, which I did mostly like, and as I mentioned earlier, the trailer for Silence looked like a 2016 visual cliche. Everything blue-toned! How original and imaginative . . . NOT.

The people who make trailers are notoriously out of touch with the filmmaker's view of the same film.  Who knows, they may have tinted everything themselves.   In a world ...

I adored Manchester by the Sea, it's my second favorite film of 2016, and I think Lipes has done excellent work in the past on Afterschool and Martha Marcy May Marlene...but how was his work on Manchester notable, much less among the very best of the year? I think I could name at least 40 2016 films with better cinematography. It's not bad by any means, but, like Lonergan's visual style generally, it's rather basic and simple. The film is tremendously powerful but not shot very distinctly from a bland network TV show. I struggle to think of anything that stood out or seemed particularly impressive about its framing, camera movement, or lighting. What do you think made it so great?

I thought Lipes' cinematography made the New England light another character in the story. We also saw a full palette of colors, always well chosen, rather than the overfiltered junk which is the "now" style and which I detest. The fact that the cinematographer isn't underlining every effect and calling attention to filtering and underlighting in every scene is remarkable for this era. To borrow a quote from Goethe (I think), "One sees the intention and is sickened by it." Or, to borrow a Zen phrase, show us the moon, not a jeweled finger pointing at the moon.

On the other hand, those who like the visual style of, say, the TV show The Americans, which I could not loathe more, might not see anything special about Lipes' work.

Hidden-Figures-poster-203x300.jpg

Sadly Hidden Figures (2016) is as ham fisted and corny as its poster.  It's a shame because it has a very good source story: the black women who worked behind the scenes at NASA in the early sixties as 'computers' or mathematicians for the engineers.  My own mother worked in an office in those times for about half the salary as the man next to her who was doing the same job.  I can only imagine how trying it must have been to be a woman and black working in a white man's world at NASA.  Over the tail credits we are treated to photographs of the three women who inspired this story.  I felt I would have much preferred to be watching a documentary on this subject and hearing directly from them than watching this cornball Hollywoodization.

• Like 1

The best so far that I've seen of the 2016 films is Fences Directed by Denzel Washington starring Denzel Washington, Viola Davis, Stephen Henderson, Jim Bono, Jovan Adepo, Russell Hornsby, Mykelti Williamson, and Saniyya Sidney. Another SAG Screener. This one is good sort of a The Honeymooners meet A Streetcar Named Desire. 9/10

followed by distantly by Manchester By The Sea about a 7/10 but which I'll never watch again, on par with Arrival. I'll never watch that again either.

The others 

Jackie

La La Land 
Moonlight

I didn't really care for, I especially don't care for musicals. 
  • Like 1

I've seen all of the Oscar nominees for Best Actor now and my choice among those would be Casey Affleck.  Though my own choice for Best Actor was not even among the nominees.  TBA in the Favourite Performance Thread when we hit 2016!

Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea****

Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge  

Ryan Gosling, La La Land  

Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic

Denzel Washington, Fences

• Like 1

Vanity Fair's annual Hollywood Issue features another cover (and foldout) photographed by the legendary Annie Leibovitz. Pictured are Academy Award winners (Lupita Nyong'o and a very pregnant Natalie Portman), some of this year's acting nominees (Emma Stone and Ruth Negga), should-have-been nominees (Amy Adams, Greta Gerwig and Janelle Monáe) and perhaps some future Oscar contenders (sisters Dakota and Elle Fanning, Dakota Johnson and Aja Naomi King). The Hollywood issue will be available in February.

unspecified-1024x498.jpeg

• Like 1
"Moonlight," the coming-of-age story of a gay black youth in Miami, won six awards from the Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association. The organization, created in 2009, features an international membership of more than 170 film and television critics.

Image result for trevante rhodes
Trevante Rhodes won a Rising Star award for his performance in "Moonlight"

"Moonlight won prizes for Film of the Year, LGBTQ Film of the Year, Director of the Year (Barry Jenkins), Film Performer of the Year -- Male (Mahershala Ali), Screenplay of the Year (Jenkins) and Rising Star of the Year (Trevante Rhodes).

The FX television miniseries "The People v. O.J. Simpson" American Crime Story" was named TV Drama of the Year, while "Transparent" -- which stars Jeffrey Tambor as a transgender head of a family -- won TV Comedy of the Year honors. 

Actress Carrie Fisher, who died on December 27, 2016, received the Wit of the Year award.

Kate McKinnon of "Saturday Night Live" won two awards,. One was for her performance of the late Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah" on the first edition of the late-night progam after the 2016 presidential election. McKinnon occasionally plays Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton on the sketch show.

The complete list of winners is as follows:

MOTION PICTURES

Film of the Year

"Moonlight" 

Director of the Year (Film or Television)

Barry Jenkins, "Moonlight" 

Film Performance of the Year — Actress

Viola Davis, "Fences" 

Film Performance of the Year — Actor

Mahershala Ali, "Moonlight"

LGBTQ Film of the Year

"Moonlight"

Foreign Language Film of the Year

The Handmaiden (South Korea)

Screenplay of the Year

Barry Jenkins, "Moonlight"

Documentary of the Year (theatrical release, TV airing or DVD release)

"O.J.: Made in America"

Visually Striking Film of the Year

"La La Land"

Unsung Film of the Year

"Christine"

Campy Film of the Year

"The Dressmaker"

TELEVISION

TV Comedy of the Year

"Transparent" (Amazon Studios)

TV Performance of the Year — Actor

Jeffrey Tambor, "Transparent" (Amazon Studios)

TV Performance of the Year — Actress

Sarah Paulson, "The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story"(FX)

TV Current Affairs Show of the Year

"Full Frontal with Samantha Bee" (TBS)

TV Musical Performance of the Year

Kate McKinnon “Hallelujah,” "Saturday Night Live" (NBC)

LGBTQ TV Show of the Year

"Transparent" (Amazon Studios)

Unsung TV Show of the Year

"The Real O’Neals" (ABC)

Campy TV Show of the Year

"RuPaul’s Drag Race All-Stars" (Logo)

We’re Wilde About You! Rising Star of the Year

Trevante Rhodes

Wilde Wit of the Year (honoring a performer, writer or commentator whose observations both challenge and amuse)

Carrie Fisher

Wilde Artist of the Year (honoring a truly groundbreaking force in the fields of film, theater and/or television)

Kate McKinnon and Lin-Manuel Miranda

Timeless Star (to an actor or performer whose exemplary career is marked by character, wisdom and wit)

John Waters

The Hungarian film Son of Saul (2015) is nominated in this year's BAFTA Awards.  It follows a forced labourer in a German death camp in WWII.  His job is to usher arrivals into the 'showers' and remove the 'pieces' for disposal after they have been gassed.  Very early on he discovers his own son among the victims and the story becomes his quest to see that he somehow gets a proper burial.  It is an interesting device for all the horrors of the camp then become part our peripheral vision.  The dialogue and sound effects work is amazing.

• Like 1
"Arrival," "La La Land" and "Zootopia" posted major wins Friday night at the 67th annual Eddie Awards, held by American Cinema Editors (ACE). The Eddies are presented to honor editing excellence in film and television categories.

The award for Best Edited Feature Film (Drama) -- won by "Arrival" -- usually is an indicator of which picture will win the Academy Award for Best Film Editing. 

The presentation was held Friday night at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.

The full list of 2017 ACE Eddie winners is as follows:

Best Edited Feature Film (Drama)

“Arrival,” Joe Walker, ACE

Best Edited Feature Film (Comedy)

“La La Land,” Tom Cross, ACE

Best Edited Animated Feature Film

“Zootopia,” Jeremy Milton, Fabienne Rawley

Best Edited Documentary (Feature)

“O.J.: Made in America,” Bret Granato, Maya Mumma, Ben Sozanski

Best Edited Documentary (Television)

“Everything is Copy,” Bob Eisenhart, ACE

Best Edited Half-Hour Series

“Veep”: “Morning After,” Steven Rasch, ACE

Best Edited One-Hour Series (Commercial)

“This Is Us”: “Pilot,” David L. Bertman, ACE

Best Edited One-Hour Series (Non-Commercial)

Game of Thrones”: “Battle of the Bastards,” Tim Porter, ACE

Best Edited Miniseries or Motion Picture (Non-Theatrical)

“All the Way.” Carol Littleton, ACE

Best Edited Non-Scripted Series

“Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown”: “Senegal,” Mustafa Bhagat

ACE Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year Award

J.J. Abrams

Career Achievement Award 

Thelma Schoonmaker

The Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi, whose 2011 drama "A Separation" won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, is nominated for an Oscar again this year. But he may not be able to attend the awards show next month because of President Trump's executive order suspending entry from some Muslim nations.

Farhadi's 2016 picture "The Salesman" is a Best Foreign Language Film nominee for the 89th Academy Awards, which will be presented on Sunday, February 26, 2017.

asghar_farhadi_140038793_fullwidth_620x3

Farhadi

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/trump-muslim-ban-director-asghar-farhadi-2017-oscars-1201972194/