Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dunst became an A-list actress because of the "Spider-Man" movies of the early 2000s. She also won the Best Actress Award at Cannes for Lars von Trier's 2011 film "Melancholia." In addition, she's the fifth-billed star of "Hidden Figures" -- between Kevin Costner and Jim Parsons. There was no way she wasn't getting a SAG Award.

She was also terrific on the last season of Fargo. She's not an actress that I'm usually fond of, but I thought she was good in both Fargo and the aforementioned Melancholia

She was also terrific on the last season of Fargo. She's not an actress that I'm usually fond of, but I thought she was good in both Fargo and the aforementioned Melancholia

Her next film is Sofia Coppola's remake of "The Beguiled," the 1971 Civil War film that starred Clint Eastwood, Geraldine Page and Elizabeth Hartman. The new version also stars Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman and Elle Fanning.

Coppola and Dunst previously collaborated on the offbeat 2006 historical drama "Marie Antoinette."

• Like 1

Her next film is Sofia Coppola's remake of "The Beguiled," the 1971 Civil War film that starred Clint Eastwood, Geraldine Page and Elizabeth Hartman. The new version also stars Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman and Elle Fanning.

Coppola and Dunst previously collaborated on the offbeat 2006 historical drama "Marie Antoinette."

As well as the cult favorite The Virgin Suicides back in '99.

• Like 1
Some things to consider before the 89th Academy Awards ceremony, which begins Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 8:30 p.m. EST on ABC:

February's arrival brings with it another Black History Month celebration -- an appropriate time to evaluate the latest breakthroughs involving diversity and the Academy Awards. And it's not a bad list when you consider the #OscarsSoWhite controversy was only a year ago. Among the accomplishments this time:

• Four of the nine films nominated for Best Picture -- "Fences," "Hidden Figures," "Lion" and "Moonlight" -- are about people of color.
  • For the first time, three African-Americans are listed as producers of three different nominated films: Denzel Washington for "Fences"; the erstwhile singer-songwriter-record producer Pharrell Williams for "Hidden Figures"; and Kimberly Steward for "Manchester by the Sea." Steward is the second black woman to be in contention for a Best Picture Oscar (Oprah Winfrey was the first as a producer of the 2014 historical drama "Selma"). Both Washington and Williams have nominated before in other categories. Washington has won two acting Oscars in six previous nominations. Williams was a 2013 Best Original Song runner up for the infectious tune "Happy" from "Despicable Me 2." He performed the song at the 86th Academy Awards -- and memorably interacted with audience members Lupita Nyong'o, Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.

• Meanwhile, two of the Best Picture nominees were directed by black filmmakers -- Washington handled behind-the-camera duties for "Fences" and Barry Jenkins directed and adapted the screenplay for "Moonlight." 
  • Jenkins also has become only the second African-American filmmaker nominated for Best Director and a screenplay award. The first was John Singleton for "Boyz in the Hood" (1991).
tumblr_inline_okeg44gy2U1u8u9ou_500.jpg

Steward

• There are seven people of color nominated in the four acting categories: Washington (Best Actor for "Fences"); Ireland's Ruth Negga (Best Actress for "Loving"); and Mahershala Ali (Best Supporting Actor for "Moonlight") and Dev Patel, a British actor of Indian descent (Best Supporting Actor in "Lion"). For the first time, three black women were nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the same time: Viola Davis ("Fences"); the United Kingdom's Naomie Harris ("Moonlight"); and Octavia Spencer ("Hidden Figures"). Davis is the first African-American woman with three Academy Award nominations (she previously was nominated for "Doubt" (2008, Best Supporting Actress) and "The Help" (2011, Best Actress). Spencer, who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for "The Help," is the first black actress to receive a second nomination after winning an Academy Award.

• Jenkins is joined in the Best Adapted Screenplay category by the late playwright August Wilson, author of "Fences." The 1987 stage play won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and the Tony Award for Best Play. Wilson's nomination came 11 years, three months and 22 days after his death in 2005.

• Joi McMillon (pictured below), who spliced together "Moonlight" with Nat Saunders, is the first black woman to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Film Editing.

C28snyKUoAAlsEe.jpg

• Bradley Young (pictured below), the director of photography for the Best Picture nominee "Arrival," is the first African-American and the second black man to be nominated for Best Cinematography. The British cinematographer Remi Adefarasin, was nominated for his work in the 1998 historical drama "Elizabeth."

BradfordYoung.jpg

• Four of the directors nominated in the Best Documentary category are black: the Haitian filmmaker Raoul Peck ("I Am Not Your Negro"); Roger Ross Williams, ("Life, Animated"); Ezra Edelman, ("O.J.: Made in America"); and Ava DuVernay, ("13th"). Williams' film "Music by Prudence" won the 2009 Academy Award for Best Documentary (Short Subject). 

The cast and especially the crew do a bang up job on Doctor Strange (2016).  The script is very goofy even by comic book standards.  In one scene when Strange's surgeon girlfriend puts her hands on his face my wife said to me "a doctor would never wear (black) nail polish in an operating theatre."  I then said, "but everything else in the film is completely believable."

• Like 1
Some things to consider before the 89th Academy Awards ceremony, which begins Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 8:30 p.m. EST on ABC:

This year's Academy Awards will be hosted for the first time by Jimmy Kimmel of the ABC late-night program "Jimmy Kimmel Live." His installment as the Oscars host is emblematic of the latest trend in network television. Since the 70th annual Tony Awards telecast on CBS in June 2016, every major network awards program has been assigned to a late-night talk show host. That's six ceremonies in a row (the list is as follows):

• 2016 Tony Awards -- James Corden (CBS)
  • 2016 Primetime Emmy Awards -- Kimmel (ABC)
  • 2016 Kennedy Center Honors -- Stephen Colbert (CBS)
  • 2017 Golden Globe Awards -- Jimmy Fallon (NBC)
  • 2017 Grammy Awards -- Corden (CBS)
  • 2017 Academy Awards -- Kimmel (ABC)
If Corden presides over this year's Tony Awards, the late-night emcees list will grow to eight consecutive ceremonies. Stephen Colbert has been announced as the host of the 2017 Primetime Emmys on CBS in September. And there's a good chance for nine because Colbert has been the master of ceremonies for the last three Kennedy Center Honors on CBS.

The cast and especially the crew do a bang up job on Doctor Strange (2016).  The script is very goofy even by comic book standards.  In one scene when Strange's surgeon girlfriend puts her hands on his face my wife said to me "a doctor would never wear (black) nail polish in an operating theatre."  I then said, "but everything else in the film is completely believable."

Doctor Strange was a great movie! My husband and I saw it twice in the theater.  Once in 3D and once in 2D.  It was fun either way.

• Like 1

It has been a seven year wait for Tom Ford's second film, Nocturnal Animals (2016).  I hope his next film arrives sooner for this one is very good.  Amy Adams plays a successful gallery owner who is trapped in a cold marriage.  She receives a manuscript from her ex-husband of something like 19 years who appears to want her opinion.  The novel is dedicated to her and when she begins to read it and we see it played out she internalizes it and takes it as her ex's way of getting back at her.  And it is a creepy horrific murder story.  Jake Gyllenhaal is great as the ex-husband novelist and as the hero in his own story.  He just keeps on getting better with each film.  Michael Shannon, who is nominated for a supporting Oscar and Aaron Taylor-Johnson who is nominated for a supporting BAFTA are also very good.   Both have nailed the physicality of their characters.   'Young' Laura Linney plays the society mother of a grown Amy Adams which is a rude reminder of how time is marching on.  The make-up is also a star with its subtle job of aging these characters.  The score by Polish composer Abel Korzenlowski is at time reminiscent of Hitchcock.  Nocturnal Animals is nominated for 9 BAFTA Awards.  Recommended.

• Like 1

Who am I to argue with J.K. Rowling's billionaire dollar Harry Potter franchise?  Okay, I'll bite.  Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a fantastic turkey.  For too long now the Harry Potter world has had to get bigger and bigger, the dangers more world threatening, the names for creatures more and more preposterous, the stories way too silly and intricate.  It has deprived the franchise of any quaintness that it may have had in its early days.  In this "prequel" if you will Eddie Redmayne plays an introverted English twit-magician.  It's interesting for about 30 seconds then his one note goes on and on and on.  I didn't even despair at not understanding his mumbling because I was beyond caring very quickly.  Fantastic Beasts even boasted a line from the baddie to a potential recruit, "Think of what we could achieve if we worked together."  The schmaltz gets thicker and thicker toward the conclusion and the epilogue has ten too many sappy goodbyes.

• Like 1

This year's Academy Awards will be hosted for the first time by Jimmy Kimmel of the ABC late-night program "Jimmy Kimmel Live." His installment as the Oscars host is emblematic of the latest trend in network television. Since the 70th annual Tony Awards telecast on CBS in June 2016, every major network awards program has been assigned to a late-night talk show host. That's six ceremonies in a row (the list is as follows):
  • 2016 Tony Awards -- James Corden (CBS)
  • 2016 Primetime Emmy Awards -- Kimmel (ABC)
  • 2016 Kennedy Center Honors -- Stephen Colbert (CBS)
  • 2017 Golden Globe Awards -- Jimmy Fallon (NBC)
  • 2017 Grammy Awards -- Corden (CBS)
  • 2017 Academy Awards -- Kimmel (ABC)
If Corden presides over this year's Tony Awards, the late-night emcees list will grow to eight consecutive ceremonies. Stephen Colbert has been announced as the host of the 2017 Primetime Emmys on CBS in September. And there's a good chance for nine because Colbert has been the master of ceremonies for the last three Kennedy Center Honors on CBS.

I skip all awards' shows, because I just don't care.  The hosts bore me, the political speeches bore me, and the presenters and nominees bore me; and, they aren't stars to me.  However, of all those hosts, I do find Jimmy Kimmel, funny, the few times I've seen his show.  I may have to tune-in for, at least, the opening.  When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, The Oscars was so exciting.  It was always in March, on a Monday night, and started at 10:00 pm est.  My parents would let me nap, then wake me 5 minutes before it started.  Back in those days, you rarely saw movie stars on television.  Today, you can't get out of the way of them.

Some things to consider before watching the 89th Academy Awards ceremony, which begins Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 8:30 p.m. EST on ABC:

web_photo_SAG_Awards4_30012017.jpg

Mahershala Ali with the two Screen Actors Guild Awards he received Sunday

On Sunday, January 29, 2017, Mahershala (pronounced mah-HER-shuh-luh) Ali became one of the rare performers to win two Screen Actors Guild Awards in the same year for two different movies. For his work in the screen drama "Moonlight," he received the award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role. Ali, who also appears in the historical drama "Hidden Figures," won a second SAG Award for that film -- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

Both films are nominated as Best Picture of 2016 for the upcoming Academy Awards ceremony. But Ali, who is Oscar nominated in the Best Supporting Actor category for his "Moonlight" performance, has wound up a film shy of equalling a record.

Only four actors have starred in three films nominated for the Best Picture Oscar during the same year:

• Claudette Colbert (1934) -- "It Happened One Night" (won Best Picture), "Cleopatra" and "Imitation of Life."
  • Charles Laughton (1935) -- "Mutiny on the Bounty" (won Best Picture), "Les Misérables" and "Ruggles of Red Gap."
  • Thomas Mitchell (1939) -- "Gone With the Wind" (won Best Picture), "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "Stagecoach."
  • John C. Reilly (2002) -- "Chicago" (won Best Picture), "Gangs of New York" and "The Hours."
  • Like 1

Some things to consider before watching the 89th Academy Awards ceremony, which begins Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 8:30 p.m. EST on ABC:

hell-and-high-water.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop
Bridges plays a Texas Ranger in pursuit of bank robbers in "Hell or High Water"

Jeff Bridges' Academy Award nomination for "Hell or High Water" is his seventh. He received his first when he was 22 years and 80 days old. His latest came in January when he was 67. As a result, he's had a 45-year span between his first nomination and his most recent one. 

Katharine Hepburn went 48 years between "Morning Glory" (1933, which earned her a 1932/33 Best Actress Oscar) and "On Golden Pond" (1981, for which she won her fourth and final Best Actress award). 

Alan Arkin's span reached 46 years. He was nominated as Best Actor of 1966 for his first film role in "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming!"  His last nomination was as Best Supporting Actor in "Argo" (2012).  He won the 2008 Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance in "Little Miss Sunshine."

Bridges has been nominated for Best Actor Oscars three times and Best Supporting Actor awards four times. His nominated roles and movies are as follows (his Oscar win is in bold): 
  • Duane Jackson in "The Last Picture Show" (1971). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Lightfoot in "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" (1974). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Starman/Scott Hayden in "Starman" (1984). Best Actor.
  • President Jackson Evans in "The Contender" (2000). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Otis "Bad" Blake in "Crazy Heart" (2009). Best Actor.
  • Deputy U.S. Marshal Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn in "True Grit" (2010). Best Actor.
  • Marcus Hamilton, Texas Ranger in "Hell or High Water" (2016). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Like 1

American Honey (2016) is about a poor uneducated girl from a dysfunctional broken home who runs away and joins a fellow band of teenagers who travel across the country selling magazine subscriptions for a very dubious young lady (played by Elvis' granddaughter Riley Keough).  It has a great premise and it has a real marvellous natural style of acting throughout.  But beyond that there is hardly any story.  That in itself is no crime but the film becomes so repetitious that I was soon looking forward to seeing its end after 90 minutes.  But American Honey is almost three hours long and was in dire need of a good pair of scissors.

• Like 1

12-most-curious-facts-about-the-oscars00

Kevin O'Connell holds the record for futility at the Oscars

During the early 1990s, legions of disheartened Denver Broncos fans rooted against their favorite NFL team whenever it was close to reaching the Super Bowl. The reason: The Broncos were 0-and-4 in their championship game appearances between 1978 and 1990 -- and none of the games was close.

Of course, this attitude changed when the Broncos -- under the guidance of then-head coach Mike Shanahan -- won back-to-back NFL championships in 1998 and 1999. As of today, Denver is 3-and-5 as a Super Bowl contender and happens to be the defending league champions.

So imagine the predicament of the veteran sound re-recording mixer Kevin O'Connell, who has received his 21st Academy Award nomination for his contributions to the 2016 World War II drama "Hacksaw Ridge." Despite his multiple nominations, he has never won -- an all-time record for individual futility at the Academy Awards.

Despite it all, O'Connell has managed to remain upbeat about his notoriety. As he said after his 20th nomination in 2009: "If you could bottle up the way that I felt this morning when I found out I was nominated, people wouldn't buy drugs anymore because this is just the best thing on the planet."

Two other current Oscar nominees can appreciate O'Connell's situation. Fellow sound mixer Greg P. Jackson, recognized for his work on "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" is 0-for-17 when it comes to nominations. Composer Thomas Newman, a contender this year in the Best Original Score category for "Passengers," is 0-for-14.

Here is a list of O'Connell's 21 Oscar nominations:

• "Terms of Endearmant" (1983). Best Sound.
  • "Dune" (1984). Best Sound.
  • "Silverado" (1985). Best Sound.
  • "Top Gun" (1986). Best Sound.
  • "Black Rain" (1989). Best Sound.
  • "Days of Thunder" (1990). Best Sound.
  • "A Few Good Men" (1992), Best Sound.
  • "Crimson Tide" (1995). Best Sound.
  • "The Rock" and "Twister" (1996). Best Sound.
  • "Con Air" (1997). Best Sound.
  • "Armageddon" and "The Mask of Zorro" (1998). Best Sound.
  • "The Patriot" (2000). Best Sound.
  • "Pearl Harbor" (2001). Best Sound.
  • "Spider-Man" (2002). Best Sound.
  • "Spider-Man 2" (2004). Best Sound Mixing.
  • "Memoirs of a Geisha" (2005). Best Sound Mixing.
  • "Apocalypto" (2006). Best Sound Mixing.
  • "Transformers" (2008). Best Sound Mixing.
  • "Hacksaw Ridge" (2016). Best Sound Mixing.

"Zootopia" won six times at the 44th annual Annie Awards, which focuses on the year's best in animated film and television productions. Among the honors won by the Disney theatrical film: Best Animated Feature and Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated Feature Production (Byron Howard and Rich Moore).

Among the other feature film winners were "Kubo and the Two Strings," which won three awards, and "Moana," which received two.

There was a tie in the category of Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production. The award was shared by the 16-year-old American singer and actress Auli'i Cravalho (for "Moana") and actor Jason Bateman (for "Zootopia").

Here is the complete list of Annie Award winners:

PRODUCTION CATEGORIES

Best Animated Feature
  • "Zootopia" (Walt Disney Animation Studios)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqeHCNojuQ4

Best Animated Feature - Independent
  • "The Red Turtle" (Studio Ghibli/Wild Bunch/Why Not Productions)
Best Animated Special Production
  • "Pear Cider and Cigarettes" (Massive Swerve Studios and Passion Pictures Animation)
Best Animated Short Subject
  • "Piper" (Pixar Animation Studios)
Best Animated Television/Broadcast Commercial
  • Loteria "Night Shift'" (Passion Pictures Ltd)
Best Animated Television/Broadcast Production For Preschool Children
  • "Tumble Leaf" -- Episode: "Mighty Mud Movers"/"Having a Ball" (Amazon Studios and Bix Pix Entertainment)
Best Animated Television/Broadcast Production For Children
  • "Adventure Time" -- Episode: "Bad Jubies" (Bix Pix Entertainment/Cartoon Network Frederator Studios)
Best General Audience Animated Television/Broadcast Production
  • "Bob's Burgers" -- Episode: "Glued, Where's My Bob?" (Bento Box Entertainment)
Best Student Film
  • "Citipati" -- (Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg)

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT CATEGORIES

Outstanding Achievement, Animated Effects in an Animated Production
  • "Moana" (Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Head of Effects Animation: Marlon West; Effects Lead: Erin V. Ramos; Effects Lead: Blair Pierpont; Foundation Effects Lead: Ian J. Coony; Effects Lead: John M. Kosnik

Outstanding Achievement, Animated Effects in a Live Action Production
  • "Doctor Strange" - Mirror Dimension (Marvel Studios) -- FX Supervisor: Georg Kaltenbrunner; Digital Artist: Michael Marcuzzi; Digital Artist: Thomas Bevan; Digital Artist: Andrew Graham; Digital Artist: Jihyun Yoon
Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "DreamWorks Trollhunters" -- Episode: "Becoming, Part 1" (DreamWorks Animation Television). Character Animator: Mike Chaffe; Character: Blinky, Aaarrrgghh!!
Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in a Feature Production
  • "Kubo and the Two Strings" (LAIKA) -- Animator: Jan Maas; Character: Multiple
Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in a Live Action Production
  • "The Jungle Book" (Walt Disney Pictures) -- Animation Supervisor: Andrew R. Jones; Animation Supervisor: Peta Bayley; Animation Supervisor: Gabriele Zucchelli; Character Supervisor: Benjamin Jones
Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in a Video Game
  • "Uncharted 4: A Thief's End" (Naughty Dog) -- Lead Animator: Jeremy Yates, Character: All; Lead Animator: Almudena Soria, Character: All; Lead Animator: Eric Baldwin, Character: All; Lead Animator: Paul Davies, Character: All; Lead Animator: Tom Bland, Character: All
Outstanding Achievement, Character Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "DreamWorks Trollhunters" - Episode: "Win, Lose or Draal" (DreamWorks Animated Television) -- Character Designer: Victor Maldonado, Character: All; Character Designer: Alfredo Torres, Character: All; Character Designer: Jules Rigolle, Character: All
Outstanding Achievement, Character Design in an Animated Feature Production
  • "Zootopia" (Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Character Design: Cory Loftis, Character: Nick Wilde, Judy Hopps, Flash, Chief Bogo, Clawhauser, Mr. Big, Fru Fru, Koslov, Bellwether, Yax, Finnick, Doug, Mr. and Mrs. Otterton, Duke Weaselton, Miscellaneous Characters
Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "Pearl" (Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures) -- Director: Patrick Osborne
Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated Feature Production
  • "Zootopia" (Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Director: Byron Howard; Director: Rich Moore
Outstanding Achievement, Music in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "Pearl" (Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures) -- Lyrics: Alexis Harte; Composers: Alexis Harte, JJ Wiesler and Scot Stafford
Outstanding Achievement, Music in an Animated Feature Production
  • "The Little Prince" (Netflix and On Animation Studios) -- Composer: Hans Zimmer; Composer: Richard Harvey; Composer/Lyricist: Camille
Outstanding Achievement, Production Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "Pearl" (Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures) -- Production Design: Tuna Bora
Outstanding Achievement, Production Design in an Animated Feature Production
  • Kubo and the Two Strings (LAIKA) -- Production Design: Nelson Lowry; Production Design: Trevor Dalmer; Production Design: August Hall; Production Design: Ean McNamara
Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "DreamWorks Trollhunters" - Episode: "Win, Lose or Draal" (DreamWorks Animation Television) -- Storyboard Artist: Hyunjoo Song
Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production
  • "Zootopia" (Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Storyboard Artist: Dean Wellins
Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show" - Episode: "Ponce de León" (DreamWorks Animation Television) -- Cast: Carlos Alazraqui, Character: Ponce de León
Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production
  • (tie) "Moana" (Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Voice Actress: Auli'i Cravalho, Character: Moana

12801859_hawaiian-teen-aulii-cravalho-le

• (tie) "Zootopia" (Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Voice Actor: Jason Bateman, Character: Nick Wilde
Jason-Bateman-Zootopia.jpg

Outstanding Achievement, Writing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "Bob's Burgers" - Episode: "The Hormone-iums" (Bento Box Entertainment) -- Writer: Lizzie Molyneux; Writer: Wendy Molyneux
Outstanding Achievement, Writing in an Animated Feature Production
  • "Zootopia" (Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Writer: Jared Bush; Writer: Phil Johnston
Outstanding Achievement, Editorial in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
  • "Disney Mickey Mouse" - Episode: "Sock Burglar" (Disney Television Animation) -- Editor: Illya Owens
Outstanding Achievement, Editorial in an Animated Feature Production
  • "Kubo and the Two Strings" (LAIKA) -- Editor: Christopher Murrie

JURIED AWARDS

Winsor McCay Award – for their career contributions to the art of animation
  • Dale Baer
  • Caroline Leaf
  • Mamoru Oshii
Ub Iwerks Award – for technical advancement in the art of animation
  • Google Spotlight’s Virtual Reality Platform
Special Achievement Award
  • "Life, Animated"
June Foray Award – for their significant and benevolent or charitable impact on the art and industry of animation
  • Bill & Sue Kroyer
Certificate of Merit
  • Leslie Ezeh
  • Gary Perkovac
The Australian cinematographer Greig Fraser won the feature film prize at the 31st annual American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Awards Saturday night. The veteran lensman won for his work on the 2016 film "Lion."

Fraser's other cinematic credits include "Snow White and the Huntsman" (2012), "Zero Dark Thirty" (2012), "Foxcatcher" (2014) and "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" (2016). 

He has been a member of the Australian Cinematographers Society (ACS) since 2012, and the ASC since 2014.

garth-davis-greig-fraser-lion.jpg

Director Garth Davis and cinematographer Fraser collaborate on the set of "Lion"

Other nominees in the category were: James Laxton (“Moonlight”); Rodrigo Prieto (“Silence”); Linus Sandgren (“La La Land”); and Bradford Young (“Arrival”). All five of the cinematographers have been nominated for Academy Awards

Last year's winner was the Mexican-born cinematographer Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubezki, who became the first person to win the ASC Award three consecutive years. He won for "The Revenant" (2015) after receiving the award for "Gravity" (2013) and "Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)" (2014). He also won Oscars for all three films.

Other winners at Saturday night's ceremony were:

Regular Series for Non-Commercial Television
“Game of Thrones” -- “Battle of the Bastards” (Fabian Wagner)

Regular Series for Commercial Television
“Mr. Robot” -- “eps2.0_unm4sk-pt1.tc” (Tod Campbell)

Movie, Miniseries, or Pilot for Television
“The Night Of” -- “Subtle Beast” (Igor Martinovic)

Spotlight
“House of Others” (Gorgka Gomez Andreu, AEC)

Lifetime Achievement Award
Edward Lachman, ASC

Board of Governors Award
Denzel Washington

Career Achievement in Television Award
Ron Garcia, ASC

International Award
Philippe Rousselot, ASC, AFC

Presidents Award
Nancy Schreiber, ASC

Bud Stone Award of Distinction
Frank Kay, Bruce Burke

ASC Vilmos Zsigmond Heritage Award Winners
Undergraduate: Emmett Sutherland (“Closer”)
Graduate: Andrew Jeric, “Prisoner”

ASC Haskell Wexler Student Documentary Award
Colin F. Shepherd

The Directors Guild of America presented its award for feature filmmaking excellence to Damien Chazelle for the musical "La La Land." The award -- along with numerous other prizes for excellence in motion pictures and television -- was announced Saturday night at the DGA's 69th annual ceremony in Beverly Hills, California.

Chazelle, who turned 32 last month, became the youngest person to win the award for feature film directing.

PANews_P-3a5d1427-4e15-47fb-84c3-87b4848

Chazelle received the Directors Guild Award at a ceremony held Saturday night

The other DGA nominees were: Garth Davis ("Lion"); Barry Jenkins ("Moonlight"); Kenneth Lonergan ("Manchester by the Sea") and Dennis Villeneuve ("Arrival").

The Directors Guild Award is often a harbinger of the winners of the Academy Awards for Best Picture and Best Director. Last year's DGA award went to Alejandro González  Iñárritu for "The Revenant." Although he went on to win the Oscar for Best Director, that year's Best Picture honors went to "Spotlight."

Iñárritu also won the Directors Guild Awards two years ago for "Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)."  In addition, he won the Oscar for Best Director and the film was named Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

Other winners included the following directors:

First-Time Director Feature Film 

• Garth Davis, "Lion"

Documentary

• Ezra Edelman, "O.J.: Made in America"

Dramatic Series

• Miguel Sapochnik, "Game of Thrones"/ Episode: "The Battle of the Bastards" (HBO)

Comedy Series

• Becky Martin, "Veep"/ Episode: "Inauguration" (HBO)

Movies For TV And Miniseries

• Steven Zaillian, "The Night Of"/ Episode: "The Beach" (HBO)

Variety/News/Talk/Sports – Regularly Scheduled Programming

• Don Roy King, "Saturday Night Live"/ "Host: Dave Chapelle" (NBC)

Variety/News/Talk/Sports – Specials

• Glenn Weiss, "The 70th Annual Tony Awards" (CBS)

Reality Programs

• J. Rupert Thompson, "American Grit": "The Finale over the Falls" (FOX)

Children's Programs

•  Tina Mabry, "An American Girl Story -- Melody 1963: Love Has to Win" (Amazon Studios)

Commercials

• Derek Cianfrance (RadicalMedia) -- Chase, Nike Golf -- Wieden + Kennedy Portland

Under the Shadow (2016) takes place in the waning years of the Iraq/iran war when Iran was hitting Tehran with SCUD missiles.   A woman is left alone with her young daughter when her husband is conscripted and ordered to the front.  She decides to stay on in the city while most of her neighbours are fleeing to the safety of the countryside.  And that is a mistake for a spirit of some kind begins to haunt her apartment building.  It is all fairly well done and the combination of a ghost and war story is interesting.  Of course you wonder why she choses to remain in the haunted building but if she didn't then you wouldn't have a movie.

• Like 1

"La La Land" creator Damien Chazelle's pickup of the 69th annual Directors Guild of America Award is a good indication he will win the Academy Award for Best Director. In the history of the DGA, the winning director has gone on to Oscar glory all but seven times since 1968. It just so happens that things sometimes go awry -- particularly whenever a musical such as "La La Land" is involved.

la-la-land-damien-chazelle-emma-stone-62

Chazelle discusses a scene with Emma Stone during the filming of "La La Land"

Here are the last seven times that the DGA and Best Director Oscar winners did not match:

• 1968-69 -- The DGA winner was Anthony Harvey for his direction of the drama "The Lion in Winter." But the Oscar went to Sir Carol Reed for the musical "Oliver!" Reed's film also won the Academy Award for Best Picture.
  • 1972-73 -- The Directors Guild winner was Francis Ford Coppola for "The Godfather." The Oscar for Best Director was presented to Bob Fosse for the musical "Cabaret," which won seven other awards -- but not Best Picture. That one went to "The Godfather."
  • 1985-86 -- Steven Spielberg won the first of his three DGA awards (he's been nominated a record 11 times) for "The Color Purple." But the Oscar for Best Director went to Sydney Pollack, whose film "Out of Africa" was named Best Picture.
  • 1995-96 -- Ron Howard received the Directors Guild prize for his space drama "Apollo 13." On Oscar night, the winner was Mel Gibson for "Braveheart," and his historical drama was named Best Picture. Interestingly, Gibson was filming Howard's thriller "Ransom" at the time (pictured below).
hqdefault.jpg

• 2000-01 -- The Directors Guild award went to the Taiwanese-born director Ang Lee for the martial-arts/fantasy film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." The Best Director Oscar was presented to "Traffic" director Stephen Soderbergh (who that year also was nominated for DGA and Oscar awards for "Erin Brockovich"). The Best Picture winner: Ridley Scott's "Gladiator."
  • 2002-03 -- Rob Marshall won the DGA Award for the musical "Chicago," but the Oscar went to the controversial filmmaker Roman Polanski for "The Pianist." "Chicago" was named Best Picture.
  • 2012-13 -- Ben Affleck received the DGA award for his true story about the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, "Argo." But Affleck wasn't nominated for the Best Director Oscar at all (the award went to Ang Lee for "Life of Pi"). Affleck won an Oscar for co-producing "Argo," the year's Best Picture.
  • Like 1

Much as I enjoyed La La Land, I have just seen Moonlight and think it's a far superior film to that lovely bit of fluff that will probably win the Oscar. I wasn't prepared for the beauty, the sadness, the sensitivity, and the redemption in love of a life almost pre-ordained to develop out of torment. On the one hand, a beautiful gay love story; on the other, a lesson in how difficult it is to escape the troubles that one is born into. Moonlight is the best movie of 2016.

giphy-tumblr.gif

• Like 2

Mica-Levi-011.jpg?w=460&q=55&auto=format

Levi

The British performer Mica Levi is the eighth woman to receive an Academy Award nomination for a musical score. She has been recognized in the Best Original Score category for her contributions to the biopic "Jackie," based on the life of First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy. Levi is the frontwoman for the band Micachu and the Shapes.

Other women who have received Oscar nominations for composing or adapting film scores (winners in bold):

• Angela Morley, Original Song Score and Adaptation for "The Little Prince" (1974, with Alan Jay Lerner & Frederick Loewe).
  • Angela Morley, Original Song Score and Adaptation for "The Slipper and the Rose -- The Story of Cinderella" (1976 with Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman).
  • Marilyn Bergman (lyricist), Original Song or Adaptation Score for "Yentl" (1983, with Alan Bergman and Michel Legrand).
  • Rachel Portman, Best Musical or Comedy Score for "Emma" (1996). 
  • Anne Dudley, Best Musical or Comedy Score for "The Full Monty" (1997).
  • Rachel Portman, Best Original Music Score for "The Cider House Rules" (1999).
  • Rachel Portman, Best Original Music Score for "Chocolat" (2000).

WOOPS BUDDY! Not only according the boxoffice mojo, but most other sources cite "H. Ridge" as currently being between $65 & $70m. gross U.S. ticket sales

(A COMPLAINT: In all the years I forecasted & or handicapped *Oscar, if a film was up for BP *Oscar, it would then get an immediate theatrical release the very same week, that was if it was not already on video/dvd. Not know, despite grossing "Fences" it's been pulled for this era. "Moonlight" didn't even get a wide release?

& Beside's breaking all other records, "La La Land" will likely top out at approx $175 miilion    Which is not an *ACADEMY record, but it shows even more-so has somewhat beloved it is

Good going with all the stats & the rest & to swithin-(hope I spelled it ok?)& your review of "moon;light" as you probably know the majority of the annual critics awards voted for it over "LA LA LAND"

It's typically for FL only playing 1 show now per day? They said they may bring back "Fences" at least though It did well w/ticket sales, for that type of film, a stage adaptation. & I see tons of clips, trailers & such, but have yet to see 1 really strong clip of Casey in "Manchester???" The movie has good scenes, but what about his performance in it? Where is *Denzel looks powerful again in "Fences" I knew & predicted he'd win that SAG award over Affleck though, mainly because he's never taken home that particular award. & not to pigeonhole actors & actresses, but for my $money$ *Morgan freeman-(l937-) is still thee all-time finest black actor! Of course it's a close-call w/*Denzel. (P.S. who recalls 1984's "A Soldier's Story?" (***1/2) The late Adolph Caesar-(l933-l986) was absolutely superb in that adaptation!!! & strangely, most of it's cast passed away shortly after? & as for the legendary *Sidney Poitier-(l927-) I've always thought of him as "The Black Cary Grant" & I don't care what the *Oscar voters say, I truly think "Hidden Figures" (**1/2-out of 4) was very overrated. & it was it's subject matter that really put it over w/voters.

& for others that don't want to a musical, it starts out that way & basically ends up a drama between these 2 people. It's not like 01's "moulin' rouge" ($57m.) (3 & 1/2) of which grew on me since I fi5rst went to it back in early 2001. "MR" is hard to get used to because they are singing modern era tunes. However, *NICOLE KIDMAN as "Satine" really suckere'd this viewer in BIG-TIME! Ironically it won same *Academy awards as the 1952 bio Best Art-Direction & Costume Design. & I just happened to catch *Fosse's dynamically made *"Chicago" (2002) ($131m.) again a couple weeks ago. & on a personal note that was the year I won the title in Variety as it's *"Oscar-0racle"-(something they ridiculously stopped, like most cool things?) I know his 1979 musical/bio "All That Jazz" had mixed views from moviegoers-(I find it brilliant) & it also scored (4) *Oscars, except BP,etc which went to the excellent, but tv movie like *"Kramer vs. Kramer" for '79.-(NOTE: That was also the movie year that really pout the hook in me, at only age 14 to 15, being "APOCALYPSE NOW" which time has finally caught up to that all-time epic) But, what did you fans think of *"Chicago" & or "MR?"

THANK YOU

"La La Land" creator Damien Chazelle's pickup of the 69th annual Directors Guild of America Award is a good indication he will win the Academy Award for Best Director. In the history of the DGA, the winning director has gone on to Oscar glory all but seven times since 1968. It just so happens that things sometimes go awry -- particularly whenever a musical such as "La La Land" is involved.

la-la-land-damien-chazelle-emma-stone-62

ize=4]Chazelle discusses a scene with Emma Stone during the filming of "La La Land"[/size]

Here are the last seven times that the DGA and Best Director Oscar winners did not match:

• 1968-69 -- The DGA winner was Anthony Harvey for his direction of the drama "The Lion in Winter." But the Oscar went to Sir Carol Reed for the musical "Oliver!" Reed's film also won the Academy Award for Best Picture.
  • 1972-73 -- The Directors Guild winner was Francis Ford Coppola for "The Godfather." The Oscar for Best Director was presented to Bob Fosse for the musical "Cabaret," which won seven other awards -- but not Best Picture. That one went to "The Godfather."
  • 1985-86 -- Steven Spielberg won the first of his three DGA awards (he's been nominated a record 11 times) for "The Color Purple." But the Oscar for Best Director went to Sydney Pollack, whose film "Out of Africa" was named Best Picture.
  • 1995-96 -- Ron Howard received the Directors Guild prize for his space drama "Apollo 13." On Oscar night, the winner was Mel Gibson for "Braveheart," and his historical drama was named Best Picture. Interestingly, Gibson was filming Howard's thriller "Ransom" at the time (pictured below).
hqdefault.jpg
  • 2000-01 -- The Directors Guild award went to the Taiwanese-born director Ang Lee for the martial-arts/fantasy film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." The Best Director Oscar was presented to "Traffic" director Stephen Soderbergh (who that year also was nominated for DGA and Oscar awards for "Erin Brockovinch"). The Best Picture winner: Ridley Scott's "Gladiator."
  • 2002-03 -- Rob Marshall won the DGA Award for the musical "Chicago," but the Oscar went to the controversial filmmaker Roman Polanski for "The Pianist." "Chicago" was named Best Picture.
  • 2012-13 -- Ben Affleck received the DGA award for his true story about the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, "Argo." But Affleck wasn't nominated for the Best Director Oscar at all (the award went to Ang Lee for "Life of Pi"). Affleck won an Oscar for co-producing "Argo," the year's Best Picture.

4 stars again jakeem! (NOTE: Do you get all your facts off the net, files or from books buddy?)

Anyhow, there are quite a few cinema books that list 1948/49 as splitting w/*J.L. Mankiewicz winning BD *Oscar, but Robert Rossen winning the first DGA Award for *"All the King's Men"

Same goes for 1952 & *Ford of course won a 4th record BD *Oscar for "The Quiet Man' VS. *DeMille winning the DGA for *"Greatest Show on Earth?"

This has always been a wee bit confusing & contradictory. I own approx. 3 to 5 books that list this, so it's confusing buddy

(TRIVIA/FUN FAX: For those that may not be aware-(not meaning you, LawrenceA,etc) but many that love to study & forecast *Oscar. It's general knowl4edge that when a movie wins BD & not the BP statue, you can count on it-(something the late great *Oscar oddsmaker Gene Siskel used to elaborate on as well)

Ity means that Best Director winning film was the runner-up to win "The Biggie' i.e. "The Informer" (l935-RKO), "The Quiet Man" (l952), "Giant" (l956-Warner Bros.), "The Graduate" (l967), "Reds" (l98l) & many more.

hell-and-high-water.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop

Bridges plays a Texas Ranger in pursuit of bank robbers in "Hell or High Water"

Jeff Bridges' Academy Award nomination for "Hell or High Water" is his seventh. He received his first when he was 22 years and 80 days old. His latest came in January when he was 67. As a result, he's had a 45-year span between his first nomination and his most recent one. 

Katharine Hepburn went 48 years between "Morning Glory" (1933, which earned her a 1932/33 Best Actress Oscar) and "On Golden Pond" (1981, for which she won her fourth and final Best Actress award). 

Alan Arkin's span reached 46 years. He was nominated as Best Actor of 1966 for his first film role in "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming!"  His last nomination was as Best Supporting Actor in "Argo" (2012).  He won the 2008 Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance in "Little Miss Sunshine."

Bridges has been nominated for Best Actor Oscars three tunes and Best Supporting Actor awards four times. His nominated roles and movies are as follows (his Oscar win is in bold): 

• Duane Jackson in "The Last Picture Show" (1971). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Lightfoot in "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" (1974). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Starman/Scott Hayden in "Starman" (1984). Best Actor.
  • President Jackson Evans in "The Contender" (2000). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Otis "Bad" Blake in "Crazy Heart" (2009). Best Actor.
  • Deputy U.S. Marshal Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn in "True Grit" (2010). Best Actor.
  • Marcus Hamilton, Texas Ranger in "Hell or High Water" (2016). Best Supporting Actor.

"THE DUDE"

• Like 1