Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Powell and Myrna Loy are my favourite non-musical screen team.

They worked so well together as husband and wife that people thought they were a real-life couple and put them in adjoining rooms in hotels even though he was actually dating Jean Harlow. 

People always think of The Thin Man films when they think of the two of them and the first four are fantastic.

But they made 16 movies together and only 6 of them were as Nick and Nora.

My favourites, I think, of their non-Charles movies are Love Crazy and Evelyn Prentice.  But this changes over time and I still have not seen all of their 16 films.  I've seen almost all of them, but not all of them.

I'VE BEEN REMINDED BY SPEEDRACER THAT I HAVE THE WRONG NUMBER OF MOVIES LISTED; THEY MADE 14 MOVIES, NOT 16 TOGETHER. OOPS!

Edited for incorrect number of films.

Edited by GregoryPeckfan

They worked so well together as husband and wife that people thought they were a real-life couple and put them in adjoining rooms in hotels even though he was actually dating Jean Harlow. 

People always think of The Thin Man films when they think of the two of them and the first four are fantastic.

My favourites, I think, of their non-Charles movies are Love Crazy and Evelyn Prentice.  But this changes over time and I still have not seen all of their 16 films.  I've seen almost all of them, but not all of them.

My favorite Powell \ Loy movie that wasn't part of the Thin Man series is Manhattan Melodrama.    Gable makes a major impact in this film as well.      After that,  I would say Libeled Lady, Love Crazy and Evelyn Prentice.    Oh, and I'm a fan of the last Thin Man film,  Song of the Thin Man,  because jazz is a major theme of the film and noir icon Gloria Grahame is in it.

• Like 2

My favorite Powell \ Loy movie that wasn't part of the Thin Man series is Manhattan Melodrama.    Gable makes a major impact in this film as well.      After that,  I would say Love Crazy and Evelyn Prentice.    Oh, and I'm a fan of the last Thin Man film,  Song of the Thin Man,  because jazz is a major theme of the film and noir icon Gloria Grahame is in it.

Yes, there is lots of great jazz in Song of the Thin Man.  Van Dyke had died by the time the last two were made, so they had a different feel to them.

There was, of course, a different dog than Skippy playing Asta.  He was cute in his own way.  But there was something about Skippy.  I think he is the same dog who was in The Awful Truth.

Too bad Skippy bit Myrna.

Did you catch the recent TCM airing of The Great Ziegfeld? You keep expecting the usual Thin Man quips during their husband & wife scenes in this film, too. The A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody revolving volute set is also something to behold...

• Like 2

The Great Ziegfeld is a unique film.  Some people complain about winning best picture over its fellow nominees.

It is a fascinating film.  I'm quite a fan of Ziegfeld and his shows. 

I do find myself expecting quips.  Of course there are none.

The Great Ziegfeld is a unique film.  Some people complain about winning best picture over its fellow nominees.

Funny but I kind of forgotten that The Great Ziegfeld features both Powell and Loy.   Part of the reason is that Loy doesn't come into the picture until the last quarter or so,    Ziegfeld is very old by the time they get together and has lost some the magic the character shows in the first 3\4,   and that Luise Rainer really overshadows all other actresses in the film (at least for me).

But yea,  The Great Ziegfeld is a fine film,  just not one I view as a Powell \ Loy film.

• Like 1

No TM quips, but their natural chemistry remains evident. They both had a kind of irresistible charm, that was multiplied by proximity.

The hoo--haa when a picture takes an award at the cost of another competing picture is one of reasons I grew tired of awards ceremonies in general - they're an artificial competition. The best way to measure a film's success, is how people remember it in years to come - rather than by counting a collection of stylized statuettes.

• Like 1

I think Powell/Loy are the best duo.  I would rank them above my other favorites: Tracy/Hepburn and Flynn/de Havilland.  

I believe they actually made 14 films together.  I've seen all of them except The Great Ziegfeld and Loy's cameo in Powell's film, The Senator Was Indiscreet.

I love The Thin Man, which I would rank in this order:

From most favorite to least favorite:

The Thin Man #1

Song of the Thin Man #6

After the Thin Man #2

Shadow of the Thin Man #4

Another Thin Man #3 (I would rank this one higher if not for the baby party at the end)

The Thin Man Goes Home #5

Aside from their most well-known collaboration, I also really enjoy Love Crazy, seeing William Powell in drag, sans mustache, is worth watching the movie at least once.  It's hilarious though and worth multiple viewings.

I also really like I Love You Again and I really liked Double Wedding.  Double Wedding features Powell in a different type of role, he plays a starving artist and is pretty kooky. 

Finally, I really like Libeled Lady.  Powell's fishing scene with Myrna Loy and Walter Connelly is hilarious.  

• Like 1

I think Powell/Loy are the best duo.  I would rank them above my other favorites: Tracy/Hepburn and Flynn/de Havilland.  

I believe they actually made 14 films together.  I've seen all of them except The Great Ziegfeld and Loy's cameo in Powell's film, The Senator Was Indiscreet.

I love The Thin Man, which I would rank in this order:

From most favorite to least favorite:

The Thin Man #1

Song of the Thin Man #6

After the Thin Man #2

Shadow of the Thin Man #4

Another Thin Man #3 (I would rank this one higher if not for the baby party at the end)

The Thin Man Goes Home #5

Aside from their most well-known collaboration, I also really enjoy Love Crazy, seeing William Powell in drag, sans mustache, is worth watching the movie at least once.  It's hilarious though and worth multiple viewings.

I also really like I Love You Again and I really liked Double Wedding.  Double Wedding features Powell in a different type of role, he plays a starving artist and is pretty kooky. 

Finally, I really like Libeled Lady.  Powell's fishing scene with Myrna Loy and Walter Connelly is hilarious.  

14, not 16?  Oh well.  I stand confused.  They made a lot anyway.  I will edit that correctly.

Love your new avatar, Speedy! 

I have not seen The Senator Was Indiscreet either.

I love all the movies you mention.

I watch their movies over and over.

Particularly love the scene about Pots.

Thanks for sharing your favourites.

• Like 1

We all have to thank producer "Woody" Van Dyke for creating the team of William Powell and Myrna Loy. Van Dyke was producing MANHATTAN MELODRAMA when he noticed how well Powell and Loy were getting along off camera. They were just casually conversing and joking around, Van Dyke was inspired to cast them for his next assigned project, THE THIN MAN. At first  MGM execs didn't think much of the idea, Powell was too old (42) and Loy was not thought of as light hearted comedic material. But Van Dyke persisted and got his way with the casting. Besides, THE THIN MAN was a low budget project, the two actors were under contract anyway, so what was there to lose?  Van Dyke was well respected by the studio for being efficient, getting the job  in on time and within budget.  And his willingness to let the actors improvise during filming allowed the natural rapport between Powell and Loy to come through.  The film was a surprise big hit and the further teaming of the two actors was insured . Powell and Loy became life long good friends as well.  P.S William Powell is my favorite actor.

• Like 2

We all have to thank producer "Woody" Van Dyke for creating the team of William Powell and Myrna Loy. Van Dyke was producing MANHATTAN MELODRAMA when he noticed how well Powell and Loy were getting along off camera. They were just casually conversing and joking around, Van Dyke was inspired to cast them for his next assigned project, THE THIN MAN. At first  MGM execs didn't think much of the idea, Powell was too old (42) and Loy was not thought of as light hearted comedic material. But Van Dyke persisted and got his way with the casting. Besides, THE THIN MAN was a low budget project, the two actors were under contract anyway, so what was there to lose?  Van Dyke was well respected by the studio for being efficient, getting the job  in on time and within budget.  And his willingness to let the actors improvise during filming allowed the natural rapport between Powell and Loy to come through.  The film was a surprise big hit and the further teaming of the two actors was insured . Powell and Loy became life long good friends as well.  P.S William Powell is my favorite actor.

I love William Powell in everything he does too and want to see everything he did.  I did not like one film he made though.  I never did like Life With Father.  It irritates me.

It is amazing how some films that are meant to be throw away or quick movies end up being great hits and start a whole new career or screen partnership.

It is sad what happened to Van Dyke.  I understand his war experiences had a lot to do with that.

I know that Powell was also firmly known as Philo  Vance at the time and that had something to do with the fact he was not wanted at first as Nick Charles.

I kind of figured that your favourite actor was among the cast of Mister Roberts.  It was a wonderful last movie for any actor to make.  Actors should be all so lucky as to have such a wonderful film to be their swan song.

I am glad he was able to live such a long life after he retired.

And I am thrilled that he was convinced to go back to work after Harlow died by a fan of his.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the story:

He was in Europe when he overheard someone talking in the native language  - I think it was Italy, but I can't remember - who was a child talking excitedly who mentioned "William Powell."

He asked someone to translate to him what the child had said.

The child was talking about how exited he was to be going to see THE LATEST WILLIAM POWELL MOVIE.

This convinced Powell to start making movies again.

What are some of your favourite iconic movies of these two artists where thy DID NOT appear together?

I may have asked this before, but I'd like to bump this topic back up to current:

Here are some of Mine;

WILLIAM POWELL:

My Man Godfrey

Mister Roberts

The Kennel Murder Case

Jewel Robbery

One Way Passage

MYRNA LOY:

The Best Years of Our lives

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Wife vs. Secretary

When Ladies Meet

The Mask of Fu Manchu

What are some of your favourite iconic movies of these two artists where thy DID NOT appear together?

I may have asked this before, but I'd like to bump this topic back up to current:

Here are some of Mine;

WILLIAM POWELL:

My Man Godfrey

Mister Roberts

The Kennel Murder Case

Jewel Robbery

One Way Passage

MYRNA LOY:

The Best Years of Our lives

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Wife vs. Secretary

When Ladies Meet

The Mask of Fu Manchu

Nice list of films for each of them;   

For Powell I would add; 

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford with Jean Arthur

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney with Joan Crawford and Robert Montgomery.

The Emperor's Candlesticks with Luise Rainer

For Loy I would add;

Test Pilot with Gable and Tracy

Too Hot to Handle with Gable and Walter Pidgeon

The Animal Kingdom with Leslie Howard and Ann Harding

• Like 1

Nice list of films for each of them;   

For Powell I would add; 

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford with Jean Arthur

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney with Joan Crawford and Robert Montgomery.

The Emperor's Candlesticks with Luise Rainer

For Loy I would add;

Test Pilot with Gable and Tracy

Too Hot to Handle with Gable and Walter Pidgeon

The Animal Kingdom with Leslie Howard and Ann Harding

I enjoy all of these except The Ex-Mrs. Bradford which has a spider in it when I am not expecting it.  I can never guess when it is coming.

We have been discussing 1936 movies in the Favourite Performances thread that Bogie started in the Favorites section this week.

We declared William Powell to be the actor of the year in 1936 for appearing in all of the following in that year.

After the Thin Man

My Man Godfrey

The Great Ziegfeld

Libelled Lady

I love them all.  I chose LIBELED LADY when I chose Powell out of my favourites for Best Actor of the year in a list of about 29 performances.

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching Love Crazy and Stowe continues to be an excellent replacement for Robert Osbourne.

Saturday evening started with The Awful Truth which is always a delight and a real scream between Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.

The real star in THE AWFUL TRUTH was the dog, "Mr Smith", aka "Asta" , aka "Skippy". :) It wasn't long ago that "Asta" had two active threads going on here.

Asta was such a good actor. And he could also do all those dog tricks. The trick with the mirror was something else.

And they didn't have to dub his singing, like they have to do with some actors.

But I think his best role is when he has to act with the leopard in Bringing Up Baby. He had more guts than Cary Grant. Because Cary wouldn't physically appear in the same scene with the leopard!

The real star in THE AWFUL TRUTH was the dog, "Mr Smith", aka "Asta" , aka "Skippy".  :)  It wasn't long ago that "Asta" had two active threads going on here.

Oh yes, there are lots of threads about Skippy aka Asta.

it is about time that Arturo did another Top Ten Asta Title Searches.

I tried one about Gregory Peck film titles and I did manage to get ten listed.

But it is extremely difficult.

I think I will let Arturo do all the Top ten Title  Searches.

He is also a great satirist.

I was saddened to hear that Skippy did not get along with Myrna Loy  and actually bit her.

Oh well.

I get plenty of bites and scratches from playing with my cat. LOL!