Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollywood Makeovers

speedracer5

This thread is inspired by a picture that TomJH posted of Clark Gable over in the "Favorite Performances of 1935" thread over in the "Favorites" forum.  

Here is Clark Gable, pre-Hollywood makeover:

fe10641a-2227-4898-bcfe-44f663596c9c.jpg

Yikes.

Here Gable is post-makeover:

084954e8-025d-4c0f-846f-c19835a14393.jpg

It's amazing what some thinning out of the eyebrows, new teeth, a mustache and a better hairstyle can do.

What are some of your favorite Hollywood makeovers? Or perhaps some of your least favorite makeovers? These can be real makeovers or movie makeovers.

**Please DO NOT post examples of bad plastic surgery as an example of a "bad makeover."  I do not want this to be a thread to ridicule the looks of celebrities.  If the plastic surgery took place in a film and you preferred the "before" look, then that is different, as it is fictitious. 

• Like 3

Thanks Casa! 

With Rita, I think she was really pretty with her "original" hair and face.  She's a knockout with her red hair though.  It's amazing how some hair dye and electrolysis can practically erase someone's ethnicity.  She is, I believe 1/2 Latin.   

Thanks Richard! 

I agree Nicole Kidman's makeover is definitely for the better.  It's interesting how just straightening the hair can change someone's looks so much.

Then there's Errol...

This is probably the worst picture of Errol I've ever seen.  

a5047a52-967c-457a-9904-7240e382b74a.jpg

Of course, with a better hairstyle, better fitting clothes and some caps on his front teeth, he went from this...

To this...

errol6.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! 

Puberty was definitely good to Elizabeth Taylor.  I don't know about everyone else, but I am not as much a fan of Taylor as a child actress, but I really like her when she was in her steamier roles in the late 50s through the 1960s.  I thought she was gorgeous in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, much prettier than she was in Father of the Bride (even though she was pretty there too). 

Wow! 

Puberty was definitely good to Elizabeth Taylor.  I don't know about everyone else, but I am not as much a fan of Taylor as a child actress, but I really like her when she was in her steamier roles in the late 50s through the 1960s.  I thought she was gorgeous in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, much prettier than she was in Father of the Bride (even though she was pretty there too). 

I was never much of a fan of Taylor, period. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

I was never much of a fan of Taylor, period. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

I probably wouldn't list her in even my Top 20 favorite actresses, but she does have films that I enjoy.  I am not as big a fan of her child roles, except for National Velvet, because there's something about her that seems phony--not sure if that's the right word, but I also wasn't a fan of her (or really anyone else, except Mary Astor) in Little Women (1949).  

I thought she really came into her own in the late 50s, though she did have some good early 1950s roles.

I enjoyed her in:

A Place in the Sun

Father of the Bride

Suddenly Last Summer

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

I have yet to see the notorious 1963 version of Cleopatra but I want to.

I enjoyed her in:

A Place in the Sun

Father of the Bride

Suddenly Last Summer

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

I have yet to see the notorious 1963 version of Cleopatra but I want to.

I liked her in A Place In the Sun and ...Virginia Woolf.

Cleopatra has some amazing set designs and elaborate costuming. But it's a bore to get through. For me, anyway.

• Like 1

Before giving James Arness the role of Matt Dillon, Gunsmoke producers insisted he darken his Nordicly blond hair

qjWhssV.jpg

opiKQ5j.jpg

Alan Ladd and Steve McQueen had similar experiences, if not quite as dramatic a difference as Arness had.

Elvis darkened his hair during the filming of Love Me Tender, because he felt it photographed/registered better on film (a frequent complaint abut lighter brown hair in the age of B&W) and also "because it made him look like Tony Curtis", according to biographers. Note I said during the making of LMT. In most of the film he has his natural mid-to-lighter brown hair. However in the epilogue at the cemetery, where he appears in ghostly form to sing a reprise of the title song, his hair is jet black. This bit was filmed in NYC several months after principal photography; Elvis had gone Hollywood with his hair in the interval.

• Like 6

Wow Jean Arthur looks like a completely different person with brown hair.  She actually looks like the data entry clerk at my work with the darker hair (except she doesn't have the short finger wave bobbed haircut).  

Speaking of blonde to brunette...

MTIwNjA4NjMzNzg2NTY2MTU2.jpg

A young blonde Bette Davis

bette2.jpeg

Brunette Bette Davis.

Davis is one of those women who aged quickly, probably due to smoking.  However, I always thought she was really pretty in All About Eve

• Like 2

Before giving James Arness the role of Matt Dillon, Gunsmoke producers insisted he darken his Nordicly blond hair

Alan Ladd and Steve McQueen had similar experiences, if not quite as dramatic a difference as Arness had.

Elvis darkened his hair during the filming of Love Me Tender, because he felt it photographed/registered better on film (a frequent complaint abut lighter brown hair in the age of B&W) and also "because it made him look like Tony Curtis", according to biographers. Note I said during the making of LMT. In most of the film he has his natural mid-to-lighter brown hair. However in the epilogue at the cemetery, where he appears in ghostly form to sing a reprise of the title song, his hair is jet black. This bit was filmed in NYC several months after principal photography; Elvis had gone Hollywood with his hair in the interval.

Arness in the top picture kind of looks like John Wayne.  I'll admit that I haven't seen Gunsmoke.  I can see why the producers had Arness dye his hair.  I've noticed that darker hair on men tends to seem tougher and more authoritative.  

I didn't realize that Steve McQueen's hair was dyed.

In movies it seems that with some stars, their hair looks darker and lighter (Errol Flynn is one that comes to mind).  I'm never sure if that's the result of hair dye, or whether it's because of the hair product that men during that era used to put in their hair to get that slicked back look.  

• Like 1

qjWhssV.jpg

It's interesting. His brother kept his hair it's natural sandy blonde (at least for most roles)--But then Peter Graves really changed his name.  Can't argue that it kept Arness gainfully employed for more than 20 years at one gig. 

Peter+Graves+James+Arness+teenaged+crop.

the brothers Aurness of Minnesota. 

It's interesting. His brother kept his hair it's natural sandy blonde (at least for most roles)--But then Peter Graves really changed his name.  Can't argue that it kept Arness gainfully employed for more than 20 years at one gig. 

the brothers Aurness of Minnesota. 

Is Peter Graves the man who hosted Biography on A&E back in the day?  He had a great voice.  I didn't realize that he and James Arness were related.

• Like 1

Pronounced "OUR-niss". It only became "Ar-NESS" when RKO changed Jim's last name.

If anyone cares, Jack Lemmon's name was pronounced "Le-MON" before he went into show biz.

Interesting.  "OUT-niss" makes sense.

I had no idea about the pronunciation of Lemmon's name.  It would have never occurred to me to pronounce it "Le-MON."

That almost sounds like a pretentious way of trying to make your name sound fancier.  

It reminds me of Tom Poston's janitor character, Mr. Looney, in Family Matters.

CHARACTER: Hi, Mr. Looney (pronounce LOON-EE)

LOONEY: It's Loo-nay.  It's French.

It was kind of his running gag, because he said it each time he interacted with any character who mispronounced his name.

• Like 1

I was always under the impression Elvis dyed his hair black early in his singing career, because he thought it was "sexier". He even had Priscilla dye her blonde hair black!

I think almost all Hollywood stars capped their teeth back in the day. It's not even noticeable to viewers, we just expect it.

I recently saw the dance number Gene Kelly did with his (less famous) brother, and I noticed right away the brother's teeth were "normal" when compared to Gene's outrageously white teeth.

It's mentioned in the Burt Lancaster biography that capping was a trend at the time. Burt liked that it made his smile "bigger".

Haha I use WC Fields' old gag spelling my name "Susié" and telling people it's pronounced "Soo-say" (souse)

• Like 1

It's also interesting to note that sometimes the changes aren't all or any of Hollywood's doing.  Just a case of getting older  maturing in a sense.

CARY GRANT certainly looks different in his movies made just a few years after HE got into the biz.  If I was able, I'd post pictures....but also;

TV movie host BILL KENNEDY went on a tangent one afternoon about how much more "manly" actor TYRONE POWER looked after returning from his hitch in WWII  "Something in the eyes" was how he put it.

And of course, a moustache can make a WORLD of difference.  It did of course, for both CLARK GABLE and ERROL FLYNN.  and DAVID NIVEN, too!  For all three, it seemed to sort of be their trademarks.  and also....

Wasn't LUCILLE BALL NOT a natural redhead?

Sepiatone

Wow! 

While it may not be her best film, she looks absolutely magnificent in Elephant Walk.

• Like 1

Then there's Errol...

This is probably the worst picture of Errol I've ever seen.  

a5047a52-967c-457a-9904-7240e382b74a.jpg

Of course, with a better hairstyle, better fitting clothes and some caps on his front teeth, he went from this...

To this...

errol6.jpg

That other photo was probably taken in Errol's late teens or very early 20s, before he "filled out."   A lot of guys when they get to the mid-20s get bulkier and more handsome.

• Like 3

Thanks Casa! 

With Rita, I think she was really pretty with her "original" hair and face.  She's a knockout with her red hair though.  It's amazing how some hair dye and electrolysis can practically erase someone's ethnicity.  She is, I believe 1/2 Latin.   

Thanks Richard! 

I agree Nicole Kidman's makeover is definitely for the better.  It's interesting how just straightening the hair can change someone's looks so much.

I have some Latina students who definitely have Rita's pre-makeover look.  Yes, they are also drop-dead gorgeous as they are.  I wonder whether Rita would have been "made over" today, now that we have such popular Latina actresses as Jennifer Lopez.

• Like 2

Great topic!

Well, to begin with I think Sonja Henie was slenderized a lot, since she looked a bit chubby to Hollywood's impresarios. Good old Tyrone Power was beautiful but almost had a unibrow, and after that was fixed he was gorgeous.

Even lovely women like Rhonda Fleming had their nose fixed if you really look at her beginning films, as did Barbara Bel Geddes and even Marilyn Monroe had some work done. I think.

• Like 2

Great topic!

Well, to begin with I think Sonja Henie was slenderized a lot, since she looked a bit chubby to Hollywood's impresarios. Good old Tyrone Power was beautiful but almost had a unibrow, and after that was fixed he was gorgeous.

Even lovely women like Rhonda Fleming had their nose fixed if you really look at her beginning films, as did Barbara Bel Geddes and even Marilyn Monroe had some work done. I think.

I'm fairly certain Monroe had a nose job before starting in film.

Are there any films that Monroe appears in where she has her original brunette hair? Or has she always been "Marilyn Monroe" ?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings