Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT STACK

bansi4

Just heard that actor and Oscar nominee Robert Stack died at age 84 on Wednesday.

He is one of the last survivors from the heyday of Hollywood. He gave Deanna Durbin her first screen kiss in 1939 and was friends with the great ones including Clark Gable and James Stewart and he adored Carole Lombard.

I was always hoping that Robert Osborne with snag him for his Private Screenings since he knew so much about the golden days of Hollywood and it's stars.

His stories about those days were always facinating and he enjoyed telling them

Alas it's too late.

Mongo

i'll never get over the incredible beauty of robert stack as Deanna Durbin's love interest in "Nice Girl?" That dazzling smile, those chiseled good looks, his sweetness. poor deanna must be about the only one left of her generation who appeared before a universal studio camera. anne gwyne, one of Universal's most over-worked B-gals died just a month ago.

By his own admission, he had a very good time for much of his 84 years, (his autobiography, "Straight Shooting" is a fun read!), a marriage to one woman for over 45 years, and he gave a damn fine performance in "Written on the Wind" (1956) and, of course, "The Untouchables" series.

But I think what I'll remember best is his boyish face breaking into a dazzling, 1000 watt smile when Carole Lombard returns his affection in "To Be or Not To Be"(1942). He that once was so young, so eager for life and so innocent...may you rest in peace, Robert Stack.

I know that mongo is aware of this. I personally have never really given Robert Stack much thought actually. But he was an OSCAR nominee for the already cited 1956 "Written on the Wind" Matter of fact & this is one I in no way shape nor form agree with though!? He & co-nominee for BEST S. ACTOR that yr. Mickey Rooney in the seldom-shown war-film: "Bold and the Brave"-("The Mick," of course has never won td. anyway? He is: O for 4) But when & this is where I per. disagree, because I thought for once the ACADEMY was on the money. *ANTHONY QUINN won his 2nd S. ACTOR GOLD for "Lust for Life," over them. A lot of fuss was made, because some say *QUINN as Gaugain had to small a role-(That is exactly what the category is for DUH!) Even going so-far as Mickey whom was sitting next to Stack at the ceremonies at the PANTAGES-(& Yes, at least it's still standing on H. Blvd. For now anyway & the OSCARS were held there for 10 yrs. straight: 1949 to 59.) But Rooney nudged Stack & said "We Was Robbed!"

(FINAL NOTE: "THE ALEXANDER PANTAGES THEATRE," is another alledged to still be haunted by Howard Hughes-(1905-76) whom owned-it, for some time? But that place pales in comparison of not really-rumors anymore, but the stuff of legend now, just down the Blvd. "Roosevelt Hotel"-home of very 1st ACADEMY AWARDS banquet!) They say they always go in 3's? Wonder whom is next if it's true???