Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Stars of the50's

GeneKellygal

There were so many great performances by actors in the 50's when experimental acting was first introduced. Idols of the screen included James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor, Martin and Lewis, Frank Sinatra, Elivis Presley, Natalie Wood, Shirley MacLaine, Sandra Dee, Troy Donahue, and many others. Who are your favorites?

James Dean and Gene Kelly will always be mine.

I've always enjoyed watching Gene Kelly he had a liitle bit of everything to offer, he could act, dance,and I loved his expressive eyes and contagious smile.

Others on your list that I agree with are;Paul Newman, he was in a league of his own,I still LOVE Shirley MacLaine, I've read a couple of her books on her various travels.I loved Sandra Dee and Troy Donahoe in "A Summer Place",never saw him in anything else, but Sandra was a little porcelain doll,so adorable and sweet.I could watch Rock Hudson in ANYTHING,he had charisma on both the big screen and the small screen, I usen to watch,"Macmillan & Wife" because of him.Here are a couple of other actors I would like to add;Jean Peters,Joanne Woodward,Robert Ryan,etc.

Well, besides everyone from the 30's and 40's who carried over into the 50's. I liked most of the new guys who either started in the late 40's or early 50's:

Rock

Liz

Grace

Troy

Audrey

Burt

Gina

Robert Wagner

Doris

Guy

Sandra

Bobby

Tab

And, of course

Marilyn

"Actors" or "Stars"?

Oh well, I'll toss some out without the definitions:

Gloria Graham

Judy Holliday

Judy Garland

Giulietta Masina

Anna Magnani

Marcello Mastroianni

Cary Grant

Celeste Holm

Thelma Ritter

Audrey Hepburn

Deborah Kerr

Sidney Poitier

Shirley MacLaine

Joan Blondell

Elizabeth Taylor

Shelly Winters

Eileen Heckert

Ingrid Bergman

Katharine Hepburn

James Dean

Marlon Brando

Susan Hayward

Jean Marais

Gregory Peck

I know you're asking about actors, but I'd like to toss in Elia Kazan, the director who brought many of the Actor's Studio method nuts - er uh, artists - to Hollywood.

James Dean was great as Jett Rink in Giant, but he was just too damned odd for me to like him as much as most others seem to.

Sal Mineo, Dennis Hopper, and Natalie Wood also come to mind.

Edit - Concerning method acting, nothing beats Hitchcock's response to the method actor who asked what his (the actor's) "motivation" was for the role. Hitch replied, "Your salary."

Message was edited by: LuckDan, who can't act

LuckyDan

GKG, I was a child in the 50s, so my favorites are likely influenced by what a star-stuck kiddie would like:

Danny Kaye

Audrey Hepburn

Jeff Chandler

Martin & Lewis

Fess Parker

Kevin "Moochie" Corcoran

The blonde bombshells of the 50's are very popular. I would love to see TCM use as it's theme one month the blonde bombshells of the 50's - Marilyn of course could be Star of the Month - plus they could also air films starring Kim Novak, Brigitte Bardot, Jayne Mansfield, Sheree North, Mamie Van Doren, Cleo Moore, Diana Dors, Joi Lansing, etc,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived