Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mae West some black blood in her?

msladysoul

There's been a lot of speculation about Mae West, that she could of had some Black blood in her, or some Black decendent. Of course, white people will dispute that. But, we never know, Mae never talked about her personal life. Dorothy Dandridge and Lena Horne had white blood in them. No one disputes that. A lot of whites say she talked, singed, and acted like Blacks because of hear listening to the Blues and watching Black entertainment having Black friends and affairs with Black men. Well, that's not something you can learned, I think she might of inherited. Knowing Mae West, she probably wanted best of both worlds-black and white. She surely acknowledged Blacks on screen by the way she acted, no white woman could imitate that good. She got her Black friends jobs onscreen, even though it was just maids. I always looked at Mae as like a Black woman anyway, Clara Bow, Tallulah Bankhead, Jean Harlow and Joan Blondell was as sexy as a white woman could get. Mae West was completely different from them, if you look at Black women on screen at that time, you could tell Mae had image more like them then the Whites. Even though their weren't Black movie stars, but one and that was Nina Mae McKinney, you look at her, you'll see what Mae was doing was new, maybe to Whites it was. My Grandmother was a entertainer back in that time, and she said Mae frequent the Black joints, openly dated Black men and had Black Friends openly, once my grandmother said to her, white people will detest to that, Mae said "Awww, don't worry I'm one of you.

• 5 years later...

No, you're mistaken. Mae West had Asian blood in her, and was just featured in the series "Asian Images on Film." She starred in Kyoto Annie, I'm No Anglo, Go West Young Chan, and the daring She Done Anna May Wong.

It seems we are speculating about her racial ancestry based upon no more evidence than her entertainment abilities.

West did like what then was considered hot orchestral jazz, "Harlem style". She had it included in all of her early Paramount films, even bringing in Duke Ellington and his Orchestra. It was typified by high pitched and sassy sounding horns, with and without cups. It reinforced her "bad girl" image.

West also exhibited a level of womanly camaraderie with her black maids in films like "I'm No Angel" that has been appreciated by some.

Mae West was just one of many people who came to film from the live stage, which included others like The Three Stooges, the Marx Bros, WC Fields etc. People in the live stage copied one another, followed each others fads and kept their ears to the ground about anything that was hot and which sold with audiences. Blacks were a potent and influential force in the entertainment business back then, and often set the tone for what was considered contemporary and hip in music and dance. That West allowed herself to be influenced by this was a matter of her cleverness and sense of professional survival. And she wasn't the only one.

Like Madonna in a later time, West also was much influenced by gays in the entertainment business. They taught her more than anyone else about show business, and she acknowledges this in her autobiography, Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It. She felt that gays had a special genius for being at the cutting edge of fashion and fads in almost everything from stage shows to whatever. I believe she even wrote a play about gays inthe 1920's. She really dug them, and felt that they helped her to become what she eventually became, To this day, Mae West (along with Judy Garland) is much venerated as an idol among gays.

Thelma

This thread has a touch of racism. So what if Mae West spent time with the African American community, she should be praised for not being a racist herself considering the time period she lived in! Whether or not she has any inter racial heritage should not matter.

This type of thread is what has caused TCM "flame wars" in the past.

I love everything Mae West. She was a genius at marketing herself and her films are a hoot as said by another poster earlier. I think she was sexy, ballsy, and one-of-a-kind. Mae kept everyone waiting on the set of Myra Breckenridge one day. When she finally emerged from her trailer with a young guy she walked over to the other actors and Rex Reed asked her what she had been doing all that time? Mae replied "Well, we weren't playing scrabble". LOL!! Mae was 76 years young at the time.