Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Okay, I don't know how 'cool' or 'accepted' these "I'm new" threads are here. I come from Rotten Tomatoes where these threads are pretty much constantly ridiculed, so if this isn't cool or it's against the rules or something, I'm really, really, super sorry.

 

Anyhoo, if it IS okay, just keep reading! I'm Katie, I'm 20, and I adore classic movies. Like I said, I come from Rotten Tomatoes (and still post there frequently. I'm mostly here now because the server is down and I needed somewhere to go, though I hope that I'll be able to keep up on both sites once it's fixed). I'm pretty much known as the classic film expert there, but I imagine that here I probably don't have half the knowledge that a lot of you have.

 

I have a pretty thick skin from posting at Rotten Tomatoes, so hopefully I don't seem too tough because you guys seem exceedingly nicer than RT. Okay, random forum introduction stuff....... my favorite classic movies are Portrait of Jennie and Grand Hotel, my favorite classic directors are Alfred Hitchcock and Ernst Lubitsch. My favorite classic actresses are Ginger Rogers, Greta Garbo, and Miriam Hopkins. My favorite classic actors are Robert Montgomery, George Sanders, and Franchot Tone. My favorite periods for classic film are pre-code and noir.

 

Well, I think that's a decent introduction if I do say so myself. I hope you guys enjoy any contributions I might make to the board!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome -you sound like fun!

Excellent taste in movies - I recommend that you visit the trivia forum to test your movie knowledge and learn something new. There are also a few getting to now you threads out there - look around and enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

 

I am cruising around a bit, but forum hopping is a little foreign to me. On RT there are very few forums. It's pretty much just GD, OT, and a few gaming forums. There are separate forums for each and every movie, but very few of those are active, so all these different forums for all this different stuff is very new to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here's a question. How cool are lists on this forum? I'm a pretty obsessive list maker, and several of the lists I've done on Rotten Tomatoes have been exclusively about classic films, as are many of the ones I'm planning, and it might be nice to post those here as well, while I'm posting on RT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> You definitely have me curious about Rotten Tomatoes,

> will check that out later. You sound like a lot of

> fun.

 

The server is down right now, but the admins assured us it will be fixed by tomorrow evening. I really love it there, it's my internet home. I've been there over four years and I have the highest post count on the site, but it can get nasty over there. You have to have a really thick skin, especially to be a newbie because some of the veteran posters just rip into anyone they can.

 

Like I said, I do love it, but it gets a little sad for me because there are threads I make that I put a lot of work and research into, and they're usually about classic films, and there really aren't a lot of people who are classic film enthusiasts there so it's usually just the same three or four people responding to my threads.

 

But for the most part, I've found my a group of people there I really like, and I just avoid trouble and fighting as much as possible, and I do find it's a pleasant place if I stay away from the flamewars.

 

Okay, that was kind of a ridiculously long post about Rotten Tomatoes. Sorry. Obviously, you can see how much I do love it there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> So, that site is about all movies, not just classic?

 

Yeah, it's just a general film site. The classic film enthusiast population is rather low. Not to say that nobody there like classic films at all, but there are SO many people there with incredibly varied taste. It's actually a great forum because you can basically find discussion on every kind of movie because there are so many different people and so many different tastes. There have been times where I've discussed Alfred Hitchcock, Frank Borzage, Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, and Kevin Smith in a single thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One more question. Hope I'm not getting too annoying.

 

How fast does this forum usually move? Meaning, like, how quickly do you usually wait for a response to a post or a new thread, or about how many posts does a really popular thread usually get in a few minutes?

 

I"m just wondering. I'm used to the incredibly busy pace of Rotten Tomatoes, where new threads are started every 30 seconds, where five minutes is a long wait for a reply to a post, where popular threads can get to 5 pages in an hour. That place usually keeps me pretty busy, so I usually don't go to any other sites while I'm posting and browsing the forums. I just noticed that this place is moving slowly right now (by my standards) and I was wondering if this was a regular thing and if it was just the time of night that I'm on or what.

 

I don't know why I want to know so badly. I guess I just don't want to get frustrated waiting for a response or something if it's the normal way the forum runs. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on my experience, you can probably post lists here in "General Discussions" to start with. At that point, posters may direct you to an appropriate thread in another forum that might be more appropriate; otherwise, people will just pick it up and run with it, as it were.

 

My sense is that people are willing to discuss just about anything, anywhere, at any time. We are a pretty inclusive bunch around here.

 

As well, based on your description of the pace of the Rotten Tomatoes site, you would regard us as pretty laidback, to put it mildly. Be patient with us - we will respond as quickly as our time and lives allow.

 

Someone else can set me straight if I'm not reading the room correctly.

 

Message was edited by:

wordmaster

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Katie.....and welcome.

 

The speed here? Depends on who is on during any given time. I've seen where it's almost instant responses, which is great, or where it can go hours without an eyeball (or a response at least).

 

I know RT and it's a hoot there. I've never participated in the movie discussion, right now I'm a television board persona non gratis looking for a television list home -- I was banned from Television Without Pity.

 

This is a GREAT place, one of THE best currently. It is like A&E in times gone by, the moderators are nowhere to be found and there are adults here who keep people like me in line. However, a person is also allowed to go off topic if they so start a thread, without getting beat up.

 

It's wonderful here. Enjoy. :)

 

dolores

Link to post
Share on other sites

> I know RT and it's a hoot there. I've never

> participated in the movie discussion, right now I'm a

> television board persona non gratis looking for a

> television list home -- I was banned from Television

> Without Pity.

 

Why were you banned from TWoP?

 

Apparently, RT is soon going to have its own television forum. I'm not crazy about the idea because I prefer to do everything in GD, but oh well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool. If RT is quick moving with a lot of hot headed folks, I'll fit right in with the television forum. :)

 

I was banned from TWoPfor speaking my mind on the 'rape' scene in Rescue Me. The moderators ascribe to the tactics used by the Gestapo, and not only censor posts, but go into them and edit them.

 

I'm now on my third banning, and I've had it with them.

 

By GD, you mean General Discussion, right? And OT is off topic?

 

P.S. Thanks, I just registered. They look WILD over there. Hah, no need to worry about censoring, from the look of some of the titles!

Link to post
Share on other sites

> By GD, you mean General Discussion, right? And OT is

> off topic?

 

Yes, GD is General Discussion, OT is Off Topic. Though they've become just completely different communities. While GD is dominated by film discussion, we've really just become an all purpose forum on our own where people who like each other and have similar interests talk about anything together. There's a fair share of off topic threads in GD just talking about personal stuff (one poster has an advice thread, for example), or threads about television and music (though apparently they're both getting their own separate forums). While in OT, they're dominated by off topic, every day chat, but they also have their own discussions about films. They are two completely separat communities, and very few posters frequent both. There are actually some posters (on both sides) who have a lot of hatred (strong word, I know) for the other forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

>and not only censor

> posts, but go into them and edit them.

>

 

 

Ohhh that is spooky, I was on a message board once and I mentioned a guest star would be appearing in the final season of a show, because his website said so, and the moderator went in and edited my post. I couldn't post there anymore, it just struck me as a violation of... something. I would have taken the paragraph out myself if I'd been asked.

 

What did you say that was so controversial?

Link to post
Share on other sites

> >and not only censor

> > posts, but go into them and edit them.

> >

>

>

> Ohhh that is spooky, I was on a message board once

> and I mentioned a guest star would be appearing in

> the final season of a show, because his website said

> so, and the moderator went in and edited my post. I

> couldn't post there anymore, it just struck me as a

> violation of... something. I would have taken the

> paragraph out myself if I'd been asked.

>

 

I've been to sites with really strick moderation. A few years ago, Rotten Tomatoes crashed pretty badly, and a lot of posters left and joined this forum made by a couple of former RT posters. They ran this forum, moderated it, but also posted like a regular user. Everyone tried to get me to go over there, but I really didn't think it wa a good idea. I don't have a problem with user moderaters (RT has some great ones) but they need to have someone higher up who isn't a regular user to answer to so they don't go crazy with their "power". I really thought this might happen with the other forum, so I didn't go over there. Sure enough, about a year later a big group of those people who moved over there were switching forums again and complaining because the moderation was too strict. The moderaters were starting to just ban people who tried to argue with them, and they were editing posts and stuff.

 

It's kind of like that at a soap opera forum where I lurk. It's INCREDIBLY strict. You can't copy and past stuff from another site. You can't criticize the acting or the writing. You have to have a bunch of sources before you post any spoilers. And if you do any of this stuff they actually go in and edit the post. I'd much rather just have a post deleted if I did something wrong than have a moderater going into my post and editing in some condescending remark about how "this poster has broken the rules". It's ridiculous.

 

RT's moderation is great. We have a lot of freedom. We have moderaters and a few user mods to take care of things like trolls and spam, and to step in when a poster gets REALLY out of line. But other than that we pretty much get to do what we want.

 

What's the moderation like here? Is there any? It doesn't seem to be that busy of site, so there probably aren't a lot of trolls and spammers that need to be moderated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you don't mind, sgd, I'm sending the explanation in a PM, since probably all here are sick of reading about me and TWoP.

 

Katie, the moderation here (so far) seems to be minimal. Everyone here, imo, is polite, intelligent, and moderate. When necessary, the posters rise to the task of moderating trolls.

 

I've not seen many nice sites like this in my travels. I'm one of the more hot-headed posters and I do my best to censor myself.

 

dolores

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...