Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The first actor/actress that comes to mind..

Paulll

Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman or Antonio Banderas....take your pick in 2019's LAUNDROMAT. If any movie was thrown together in 30 minutes just to make a quick buck, this was it. 

Next: A totally, off the wall, very underappreciated performance

Michael Jeter in The Fisher King (1991).  He only has one brief, totally unexpected, out-of-nowhere scene, but his degree of commitment to this character (doing a hilarious, plot-specific parody of "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy) is stunning and unforgettable. Let's just say anyone who only knows him as "Mr. Noodle" from Sesame Street will be very, very surprised.

Next: an unexpectedly sweet role for someone normally associated with playing tough guys/gals

• Like 1

Lionel Barrymore in ON BORROWED TIME (1938). I always associated Barrymore with fairly stern, serious characters and I found this movie earlier this year and watched it just for whimsey. Barrymore gave a bittersweet, kindly and very sympathetic performance as a dying grandfather looking after his orphaned grandson. 

Next: Beautiful actress who plays a particularly homely character.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

I always associated Barrymore with fairly stern, serious characters

I know what you mean, but it was actually not all that unusual for Barrymore to be cast as a sweet old man who cares nothing about money, as he was in Grand Hotel, Dinner at Eight, and You Can't Take it With You.  His unforgettable portrayal of the evil Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life was thus almost a deliberate perversion of that image, which made it all the more disturbing (although by that point he had also memorably played the similar role of Ebenezer Scrooge).

• Like 1

My introduction and standard for his body of work was always Mr. Potter. I just always compare him to that role, while he did, as you say, often play benevolent characters. For the same reason, I always judge my Charles Laughton performances off of Quasimodo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fausterlitz said:

Michael Jeter in The Fisher King (1991).  He only has one brief, totally unexpected, out-of-nowhere scene, but his degree of commitment to this character (doing a hilarious, plot-specific parody of "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy) is stunning and unforgettable. Let's just say anyone who only knows him as "Mr. Noodle" from Sesame Street will be very, very surprised.

Next: an unexpectedly sweet role for someone normally associated with playing tough guys/gals

The first one that comes to mind for me was Scott Wilson's "Dick" role in IN COLD BLOOD (1967). That was all Robert Blake, but Wilson was outstanding in that film. I never understood why he did not have a bigger career.

• Like 1