Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gene Kelly .vs. Fred Astair... Who is better in your book??

Kelly all the way for me!!! I LOVE almost everyone of his films. Astair was good too. You have to remember they have two different styles also. Kelly is more of the street performer w/ his tap and Astair is more straight laced and kinda more or so toned down than Kelly. But, being a Tap dancer myself (which I have been all my life) I just must say it, Kelly is better to me. Technique wise thought.. if i may say so myself, Astair takes the cake!

Ok, here we go again with apples and oranges. They were both great! Of course, being a sophisticate, I prefer Astaire to the workman style of Kelly. But, in certain movies, Kelly could not be equaled. Like in Cover Girl, Astaire would have just been silly, but in Broadway Melody, Kelly would just have looked out of place! Thank GOD for both of them!

I like them both a lot, but I prefer Astaire. I really love ballroom dancing Astaire/Rogers style, and Astaire always seemed completely comfortable and at ease with a partner, just as comfortable as he did while dancing by himself. While Kelly has always seemed to me to be less comfortable while dancing with a partner.

Also, I love most of Astaire's leading ladies, and he had a much better balance and was better at sharing the screen with his leading actresses in general than Kelly seemed to be.

• 1 month later...

why always with the dancing? gene kelly was more handsome, astaire was more adorable. i choose astaire's likeabilty over kelly's beautiful smile. but that's just me...

oh, astaire was the better dancer... more fluent and natural. workaholic kelly looked sometimes over-rehearsed and physically a bit over-powering. again, that's me...

I always cry when watching a classic Gene Kelly movie. The beauty of human movement was made manifest in that man.

Fred Astaire, on the other hand, always looked way too much like a skeleton to me. And it only got worse as he got older - especially when the leading ladies were younger. Ugh!

Max

No doubt in my mind...........Fred astaire, to me was the better dancer...so elegant and graceful....plus all the leading ladies he hat to dance with just made him more appealing to me. My favorite movie "Top Hats'. But Gene Kelly also was a great dancer too but a different style of dancing. I really enjoy both of them but I'll take Fref Astaire any day of the week!

I cast my vote for Gene Kelly. I enjoy watching him on the screen and think he had a sense of humor and realism that I could relate to, as opposed to Fred Astaire who came across as something too removed from my existence to really warm up to.

Also, I have to say that the more people dump on Gene Kelly, the more devoted I feel about him. My mother-in-law hates his guts for reasons I can't understand, and I read an article by John Updike in which he called Kelly a second-rater with pretentions he couldn't live up to. That really made my blood boil.

• 3 months later...

Fred Astaire OFCOURSE. He was elegance personified. Kelly was OK as a gymnastic/ballet dancer. As Gene once said (paraphrased): "If I was the Marlon Brando of dancing, Fred Astaire was Cary Grant"; so very true.

Mr.Astaire's gestures, both as a dancer and as an actor, added to his enigmatic charm. His singing voice was mellow, the words of a song were well phrased and his delivery.........no more to say. FRED ASTAIRE all the time.

Oh my, oh my...that's like asking a parent who's their favorite child! Kelly and Astair had their own style and individual personalities, as do children, and I love them both for that individuality. That said.....if I had on a beautiful ballgown and wanted to be swept off my feet, I'd chose Fred. If I had on my Bobby Socks and wanted to jitterbug, I'd chose Gene :)