Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have seen Tom Drake in movies for years. I don't know about anyone else, but I liked him as an actor. He's been in several movies that are on my favorites list. We watched "Mr. Belvedere Goes to College" the other day and he was good in it. No academy award performance mind you, but pleasant to watch.

We got curious about him and I read the IMDb bio on him and he seemed to have a sort of sad life. Then we get the DVD 'A Christmas Wish" and there's Terry Moore telling all about his personal life. Why do people do this to actors, especially when they're not here to defend themselves?

Does anyone else like this actor as much as I have come to like him?

Susu

Susuhigh: Yes I like Tom Drake also, if he's the one I'm thinking about that is, he was 'the boy next door' in Meet Me in St Louis right? He was in quite a few WWII movies but, like you, I don't know much about him. When I sign off, I'll look him up on imdb. When I read a bio on my favorites, I kind of like to learn about their foibles as well as the good stuff, that kind of keeps you grounded. After all these people are bigger than life on-screen, and they tend to seem godlike if you don't realize they put on their pants just like everybody else.

Thanks Ayres, I read the whole thing and we still don't know what Terry Moore said, maybe someone will give us the scoop. I did try imdb but I find it kind of confusing, I'll have to go to it sometime when I'm totally bored here, if that day ever comes.

The only thing I can think of is that his leading man career never took off. As we know our Hollywood history, the studio system changed in the late 40's and 50's, the contract days were over and with them, the contract players. Drake appeared in many television series and to supplement his income he became a used car salesman. A lot of our favorites worked in real estate, retail and other non-acting jobs in their later years, after all, one has to eat! In my opinion,Terry Moore should stick to her own sad story and leave others alone.

-Susan

We saw somewhere, can't remember, Terry Moore talking about Tom Drake's personal life. She said he was a deeply closeted gay, etc. and you can imagine that I was hearbroken because I just don't believe in telling about someone's personal life if they're not here to defend themselves. Why not let him rest in peace.

I thought he was so cute. He could have been a bigger star, don't really know why he wasn't, but that's how life goes sometimes.

Susu

• 1 month later...

I had never heard of Tom Drake until recently when I read the brilliant book, "Get Happy" about the life of Judy Garland. She met Drake on the set of "Meet Me in St. Louis." Here's what the book says about their relationship: "Friendship led to romance, which led to bed - where the affair ended. To Drake's embarassment and to her own dismay, Judy could not arouse him - he could not perform. Drake was an all-American boy, all right, but an all-American boy who liked other all-American boys."

I really don't understand why Susu says she was heartbroken to learn that Drake was gay. It is sad that he lived mostly in a time when society made life very difficult for gay people. That's really what is heartbreaking.

Just an addendum to my previous post: I just read the rather detailed bio of Drake that was linked by Ayres earlier. It reminds me of many sanitized bios put out over the years in which many details were omitted when the person happened to be gay. This bio mentions Drake briefly was married, but doesn't really explain why the marriage failed or why Drake never married again. The answer, of course, was that he was gay. The book I mentioned in my last post, "Get Happy," is unflinching in discussing the bisexuality of Tyrone Power and the homosexuality of Vincente Minelli, Judy Garland's husband. In recent years, it has become less acceptable to lie about the lives of actors and other celebrities. It's incredible, for example, that such a lengthy biographical article about Drake can be written without addressing the fact that he was gay. But this was standard practice until recently. It's good that this subject is no longer taboo, and can be discussed freely. After all, it's no secret that Clark Gable and James Stewart were heterosexual, so why should it be a secret that Rock Hudson or Montgomery Clift were homosexual? It's not a "foible" and Drake needs no defense that he was gay. It was simply part of who he was.

If the full truth came out about how many Hollywood actors have been gay, I think there would be a very loud gasp coming from America!

• 2 months later...

It's hardly "no secret" that Clark Gable was heterosexual. It's been written time and again that when he started in the business, he was a male hustler. Every actor has been outed by now. Most writers want to sell books and say what they have to in order to please their editors. Anything that comes out 20, 30 years after someone is dead is open to suspicion. It wasn't the "standard practice" that nobody wrote about somebody being gay until recently. Nobody writes about someone being gay until they're dead so they can't speak for themselves. It's so absurd because with each passing year, the stories become more and more exaggerated.