Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 8h8 hours ago

For Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination, Republicans have decided to use a GOP lawyer & Kavanaugh’s former deputy, Bill Burck, to lead the document production process.

Historically, this is done by the National Archives. Why is Kavanaugh getting special treatment? #WhatAreTheyHiding

PBS NewsHourVerified account @NewsHour 41m41 minutes ago

"It's really not in the interest of Judge Kavanaugh to have 100,000 pages of documents still withheld,

even at this moment," @neal_katyal tells @JudyWoodruff.

----------------------------------

wouldn't he look more honorable just to call for the document release himself??

(unless he really is hiding something)

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

CSPANVerified account @cspan 22h22 hours ago

.@senkamalaharris asks if Judge Kavanaugh has discussed Mueller Investigation with anyone at Kasowitz Benson Torres law firm.

#Kavanaugh: "I would like to know the person you're thinking of."

Sen. Harris: "I think you're thinking of someone and you don't want to tell us."

:blink:

I will say this. I saw that exchange between Sen. Harris and Judge Kavanaugh. It's like Law and Order. If you come to me and ask me "Who were you talking to at 10PM on June 19?". More than likely I am guilty if I have a detailed answer because I've been thinking about what I will say when the police ask me that question. If I am minding my own business there is  no way I am going to remember some random moment in time. Because I have not been thinking about it at all. So Sen. Harris was acting like she was Jack McCoy on Law and Order, where the innocent somehow know they were eating onion soup with the blonde downstairs at that moment, and the guilty have no alibi. Sure Kavanaugh probably talked to bunches of people about the Mueller investigation. It's been in the news for ages. But like he said, he doesn't know everybody who works at that law firm, so he doesn't want to say "no" and have her drag out some evidence that he did and he doesn't even remember the who and when.  And then he'll look like a liar.  And she has already said she is going to vote NO anyways so what is she doing here? Her mind is made up. She and Cory Booker are just fortunate enough to be on the Senate Judiciary Committee so that they can begin their presidential runs from this event.

The only real issue when confirming judges is how they arrive at their decisions, and how true they remain to the Constitution when rights are enumerated and how they interpret the Constitution when it is necessary because the founders did not foresee everything. I would have quizzed him more on why he thinks forcing insurance companies to sign up people with pre-existing conditions is unconstitutional, especially when said insurance companies are allowed to do numerous things to make sure they don't lose money.  And I would MAKE him answer the question about a president pardoning himself. Does that not make him a king? How is this constitutional? He MUST answer this question or to me he is saying he would let a president do such a thing.

On this last issue alone I fear how he might rule and the lasting impact it would have on the office of the presidency. Forget the political theatre, forget the ridiculous sight of the protestors and Code Pink and company willing to disrupt what amounts to a court procedure and may have done more harm than good.  By the way, if a working class person saw all that disruption and believes this is what a Democrat is, what do you think that might do to the way that working class person votes in November? Senator Sheldon Whitehouse had the same concerns.

I'm not coming down on you mr.6666. We normally see things the same way. But confirmation hearings just seem to bring out the hypocrite in all of our lawmakers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If the Dems think that running a liberal,  junior Senator, CA politician for President is the way to go,  they haven't learned anything. 

What would be a hoot is that Harris gets more popular votes against her GOP opponent (note I don't say Trump since I don't think he will run for a second term),  but still loses the election.     That is very likely with a candidate like Harris who would carry CA and NY and a few other states by wide margins but lose in the majority of states by a relatively small margin.     

• Like 1

PBS NewsHourVerified account @NewsHour 1h1 hour ago

"Why do you think...the NRA is spending so much money to ensure you get confirmed as a Supreme Court justice" asks @maziehirono. "They obviously think you're on their page."

#BrettKavanaugh points to people's (corporations) right to express themselves,

repeating, "I'm an independent judge."

<_<

14 hours ago, jakeem said:

Sen. Kamala Harris grills Kavanaugh on Mueller investigation https://cnn.it/2MQb18m 

DmaiE5_UcAIzG9O.jpg

14 hours ago, jakeem said:

In 2003 email obtained by NYT, Kavanaugh wrote, “I am not sure that all legal scholars refer to Roe as the settled law of the land at the Supreme Court level since Court can always overrule its precedent, and three current Justices... would do so.”

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Caroline O. @RVAwonk 23h23 hours ago

So, yea. Corey Booker just noted that Kavanaugh's name wasn't on Trump's list of potential SCOTUS nominees until after the Mueller probe began.

... and then Kavanaugh said he would not recuse himself if an issue related to the Mueller probe reached the SCOTUS.

So there it is.  <_<

So there is what??????     I guess this bozo doesn't know of the strong ties between Justice Kennedy and Kavanaugh and that when Kennedy decided to retire he recommended Kavanaugh.

I Wrote Some of the Stolen Memos That Brett Kavanaugh Lied to the Senate About-

He should be impeached, not elevated.

"..........I do not raise that question lightly, but I am certain it must be raised.

Newly released emails show that while he was working to move through President George W. Bush’s judicial nominees in the early 2000s, Kavanaugh received confidential memos, letters, and talking points of Democratic staffers stolen by GOP Senate aide Manuel Miranda. That includes research and talking points Miranda stole from the Senate server after I had written them for the Senate Judiciary Committee as the chief counsel for nominations for the minority.

Receiving those memos and letters alone is not an impeachable offense.

No, Kavanaugh should be removed because he was repeatedly asked under oath as part of his 2004 and 2006 confirmation hearings for his position on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit about whether he had received such information from Miranda, and each time he falsely denied it.........

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/judge-brett-kavanaugh-should-be-impeached-for-lying-during-his-confirmation-hearings.html

----------------------------------

-yeah, I know he'll be rammed through.......

just think we should know what we're getting

the whole hearing process was a big sham <_<

David Brock:

I knew Brett Kavanaugh during his years as a Republican operative. Don't let him sit on the Supreme Court.

We were part of a close circle of cynical hard-right operatives being groomed for much bigger things.

".... Call it Kavanaugh's cabal: There was his colleague on the Starr investigation, Alex Azar, now the Secretary of Health and Human Services. Mark Paoletta is now chief counsel to Vice President Mike Pence; House anti-Clinton gumshoe Barbara Comstock is now a Republican member of Congress.

Future Fox News personalities Laura Ingraham and Tucker Carlson were there with Ann Coulter, now a best-selling author, and internet provocateur Matt Drudge. ....

Kavanaugh took on the role of designated leaker to the press of sensitive information from Starr's operation, we all laughed that Larry had taught him well. (Of course, that sort of political opportunism by a prosecutor is at best unethical, if not illegal.) ........

A detailed analysis of Kavanaugh's own notes from the Starr Investigation reveals he was cherry-picking random bits of information from the Starr investigation — as well as the multiple previous investigations — attempting vainly to legitimize wild right-wing conspiracies ....

And I'll leave it to all the lawyers to parse Kavanaugh's views on everything from privacy rights to gun rights. But I can promise you that any pretense of simply being a fair arbiter of the constitutionality of any policy regardless of politics is simply a pretense.

He made up his mind nearly a generation ago — and, if he's confirmed, he'll have nearly two generations to impose it upon the rest of us. "

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i-knew-brett-kavanaugh-during-his-years-republican-operative-don-ncna907391?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

10 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

David Brock:

I knew Brett Kavanaugh during his years as a Republican operative. Don't let him sit on the Supreme Court.

We were part of a close circle of cynical hard-right operatives being groomed for much bigger things.

".... Call it Kavanaugh's cabal: There was his colleague on the Starr investigation, Alex Azar, now the Secretary of Health and Human Services. Mark Paoletta is now chief counsel to Vice President Mike Pence; House anti-Clinton gumshoe Barbara Comstock is now a Republican member of Congress.

Future Fox News personalities Laura Ingraham and Tucker Carlson were there with Ann Coulter, now a best-selling author, and internet provocateur Matt Drudge. ....

Kavanaugh took on the role of designated leaker to the press of sensitive information from Starr's operation, we all laughed that Larry had taught him well. (Of course, that sort of political opportunism by a prosecutor is at best unethical, if not illegal.) ........

A detailed analysis of Kavanaugh's own notes from the Starr Investigation reveals he was cherry-picking random bits of information from the Starr investigation — as well as the multiple previous investigations — attempting vainly to legitimize wild right-wing conspiracies ....

And I'll leave it to all the lawyers to parse Kavanaugh's views on everything from privacy rights to gun rights. But I can promise you that any pretense of simply being a fair arbiter of the constitutionality of any policy regardless of politics is simply a pretense.

He made up his mind nearly a generation ago — and, if he's confirmed, he'll have nearly two generations to impose it upon the rest of us. "

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i-knew-brett-kavanaugh-during-his-years-republican-operative-don-ncna907391?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Who is David Block speaking too?   If GOP Senators,  uh,  David,  they will vote to approve his appointment for the very reasons you state.     If Dem Senators:  uh,  David,   the Dems don't have the power to block the appointment.

(I assume David wasn't speaking to NON Senators suggesting that some private citizen do something to prevent Kavanaugh from being appointed).

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 22h22 hours ago

What authority does GOP attorney Bill Burck have to designate docs “committee confidential?”

None. Dems never agreed to this attempt at concealment.

The American people have the right to see the record from Judge Kavanaugh’s public service career. I stand w my friend @CoryBooker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There Is No Grassroots Energy Rallying for Brett Kavanaugh.

None.

".........Kavanaugh is one of the most unpopular Supreme Court nominees in history, and women are largely behind the opposition to his nomination, a recent CNN poll found. That’s even more true in Maine than it is in the rest of the country, where more than $200,000 has already been pledged against Collins if she votes to support Kavanaugh.

Nationally, fewer than three in 10 women believe he should be confirmed, according to the CNN poll. Eyes are on moderate Republicans and red-state Democrats concerned with re-election, but as the failed pro-Kavanaugh campaign shows, lawmakers would be bending over backwards to appeal to a mythical voter — while making enemies of very real ones.  

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/04/brett-kavanaugh-no-grassroots-energy-rallying/

41 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

None.

".........Kavanaugh is one of the most unpopular Supreme Court nominees in history, and women are largely behind the opposition to his nomination, a recent CNN poll found. That’s even more true in Maine than it is in the rest of the country, where more than $200,000 has already been pledged against Collins if she votes to support Kavanaugh.

Nationally, fewer than three in 10 women believe he should be confirmed, according to the CNN poll. Eyes are on moderate Republicans and red-state Democrats concerned with re-election, but as the failed pro-Kavanaugh campaign shows, lawmakers would be bending over backwards to appeal to a mythical voter — while making enemies of very real ones.  

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/04/brett-kavanaugh-no-grassroots-energy-rallying/

It is very difficult to take away civil rights from people who are accustomed to having them.

52 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

None.

Failed pro-Kavanaugh campaign??????    Uh,   it will not fail since he will be appointed.   

Also,  as been discussed national polling is worthless.   No election in the USA is decided on a national voting basis.    

• Thanks 1

John Nichols @NicholsUprising 7h7 hours ago

“Brett Kavanaugh used materials stolen from Democratic senators to advance President Bush’s judicial nominees.

He was asked about this in 2004, 2006 & this week.

His answers were not true.” — Senator Dianne Feinstein

Giving “not true” answers is perjury.

-------------------------------------------------

....Kavanaugh “testified under oath—and he testified repeatedly—that he never received any stolen materials, and that he knew nothing about it until it was public. He testified that if he had suspected anything ‘untoward’ he would have reported it. At the time, we left it there. We didn’t have evidence to suggest otherwise.” Now, Leahy tells The Washington Post, there is evidence to suggest that Kavanaugh was “not truthful.”

“Judge Kavanaugh’s perjury in the process of obtaining his current position on the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit should…lead to his removal from the federal judiciary and should disqualify him from ever holding a future federal office.” —Free Speech for People

https://www.thenation.com/article/brett-kavanaugh-should-be-impeached/

On 9/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, Princess of Tap said:

It is very difficult to take away civil rights from people who are accustomed to having them.

Not during the current Trump/Republican administrations.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:59 PM, mr6666 said:

None.

Didn't know any moderate Republicans were left.  Regardless, it is highly unlikely that Collins will vote against Kavanaugh.  She is a Republican first.  She also knows that the Koch brothers, RNC and other organizations will come to her aid with far more than $200,000 or whatever her opponents raise.  If she toes the party line.

There are also the Dem senators who either vote for Kavanaugh or face defeat in 2018 elections.

One estimate I saw was that he will probably get 55 for votes.  51 GOP and 4 Dem.

Collins calls crowdfunding to get her to oppose Kavanaugh a "bribe" http://hill.cm/lwoxJ3N

-------------------------------------

Mikel JollettVerified account @Mikel_Jollett 19h19 hours ago

The idea that political money is somehow “clean” if it comes from a few billionaires,

but “shady” if it comes from the concerted effort of 40,000 people trying to protect their basic rights

is one of the DUMBEST political arguments I’ve ever heard.