Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kavanaugh Accused of Sexual Misconduct With Woman During High School, Letter Passed to FBI: Report

"Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein of California referred a letter to federal investigators on Thursday regarding President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh.

The letter contains information about an incident involving possible sexual misconduct between Kavanaugh and a woman when the two were in high school, according to two officials familiar with the contents of the letter who spoke to The New York Times.

The letter was first reported by The Intercept on Wednesday, but the contents of it were largely unknown. The Intercept also reported the letter's subject was about an incident in high school between Kavanaugh and a woman, but the report did not mention sexual misconduct.

The letter is reportedly from a California constituent of Feinstein, who is the highest-ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Feinstein did not allow any of her democratic colleagues on the committee to view the letter, instead handing it over to federal authorities. .......

https://www.newsweek.com/brett-kavanaugh-accused-sexual-misconduct-1120385?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_medium=Social

• Haha 1
Opinion
Brett Kavanaugh misled the Senate under oath. I cannot support his nomination.
The truth still matters, regardless of our political climate.
By Patrick Leahy  •  Read more »
  b2a2c6a8c590f25bf55456a716c84375-320-0-70-8-2EV7BNFXSMI6RJ5VVWVKLMVFP4.jpg

Opinion
Collins and Murkowski won’t fool concerned constituents
Voters overwhelmingly know how Kavanaugh will vote on abortion.
By Jennifer Rubin  •  Read more »
  2246f8ee649111ba8689106c27edf504-320-0-70-8-7PAVEFNPZM6KDOVXW776Q7E7AU.jpg
  • Thanks 1

Facebook Suppressed a Story About Brett Kavanaugh’s Opposition to Roe v. Wade.

"..........Even before his hearing, Kavanaugh’s views on abortion weren’t exactly a state secret. He gave a speech to a conservative think tank in 2017 praising Justice William Rehnquist’s dissent in Roe v. Wade, and he wrote an opinion arguing that the Trump administration could temporarily imprison undocumented women who were seeking an abortion.

Kavanaugh’s 2017 speech, when laid alongside a statement he made during his confirmation hearing, eliminates any doubt that he opposes Roe.....

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/14/facebook-weekly-standard-suppressed-a-story-about-brett-kavanaughs-opposition-to-roe-v-wade-were-republishing-it/

8 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Facebook Suppressed a Story About Brett Kavanaugh’s Opposition to Roe v. Wade.

"..........Even before his hearing, Kavanaugh’s views on abortion weren’t exactly a state secret. He gave a speech to a conservative think tank in 2017 praising Justice William Rehnquist’s dissent in Roe v. Wade, and he wrote an opinion arguing that the Trump administration could temporarily imprison undocumented women who were seeking an abortion.

Kavanaugh’s 2017 speech, when laid alongside a statement he made during his confirmation hearing, eliminates any doubt that he opposes Roe.....

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/14/facebook-weekly-standard-suppressed-a-story-about-brett-kavanaughs-opposition-to-roe-v-wade-were-republishing-it/

DUH!!!      This is why many conservatives welcome the appointed and social liberals do not.   

But I assume the real point here is to try to shame GOP Senators like Collins from voting for the appointment and when that doesn't work,  to use her vote for Kavanaugh against her in future elections.   

19 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Kavanaugh Accused of Sexual Misconduct With Woman During High School, Letter Passed to FBI: Report

"Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein of California referred a letter to federal investigators on Thursday regarding President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh.

The letter contains information about an incident involving possible sexual misconduct between Kavanaugh and a woman when the two were in high school, according to two officials familiar with the contents of the letter who spoke to The New York Times.

The letter was first reported by The Intercept on Wednesday, but the contents of it were largely unknown. The Intercept also reported the letter's subject was about an incident in high school between Kavanaugh and a woman, but the report did not mention sexual misconduct.

The letter is reportedly from a California constituent of Feinstein, who is the highest-ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Feinstein did not allow any of her democratic colleagues on the committee to view the letter, instead handing it over to federal authorities. .......

https://www.newsweek.com/brett-kavanaugh-accused-sexual-misconduct-1120385?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_medium=Social

I looked up a couple of articles on this.  Seems a little thin to me, especially at this point in the process.  Why didn't she come forward before?  Not condoning what he did (or may have done), but an anonymous complaint?  How long will it take the FBI to investigate?  Will Kavanaugh be confirmed before then?

Regardless, Kavanugh is in unless somebody can turn up something definitive that is pretty bad.

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

DUH!!!      This is why many conservatives welcome the appointed and social liberals do not.   

But I assume the real point here is to try to shame GOP Senators like Collins from voting for the appointment and when that doesn't work,  to use her vote for Kavanaugh against her in future elections.   

If she voted against Kavanaugh it would not hurt her in future elections.  She's a Republican.  That is why she is hemming and hawing about it.  Voting for someone who will end Roe v. Wade is not going to hurt a Republican.  Voting against a Republican nominee will hurt her in a GOP primary.

I came across an article yesterday on the mysterious dealings with Kavanaugh's credit

card and money matters in general. It won't make a difference to his nomination,

but it's interesting to know that the next SC justice might be something of a chiseler.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I came across an article yesterday on the mysterious dealings with Kavanaugh's credit

card and money matters in general. It won't make a difference to his nomination,

but it's interesting to know that the next SC justice might be something of a chiseler.

Well I found someone that was an eye witness to Kavanaugh stealing cookies from his grandma's cookie jar when he was 10.     Clearly that disqualifies him from being appointed.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well I found someone that was an eye witness to Kavanaugh stealing cookies from his grandma's cookie jar when he was 10.     Clearly that disqualifies him from being appointed.

Yep, it's just like those old Warner Bros. crime flicks--as the twig is bent so grows the tree.

They start out stealing cookies, then they kill small animals, and who knows where it ends.

As I said, it won't make any difference to his nomination, but it's an interesting sidelight.

Maybe the somber judge is a minor league grifter. 

4 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Manafort's guilty plea and promise to cooperate with the special counsel changes the complexion of this process quite a bit. Would you have wanted Nixon selecting a Supreme Court justice in April 1974?

The issue is whether or not Senate will confirm Kavanaugh.  And the answer to that is: YES.

10 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Manafort's guilty plea and promise to cooperate with the special counsel changes the complexion of this process quite a bit. Would you have wanted Nixon selecting a Supreme Court justice in April 1974?

Doesn't change the process at all according to the Constitution.    The Senate should just vote.   Those Senators that oppose the appointment,  for the concern you mention,  (as well as others), can vote NO.   

23 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Doesn't change the process at all according to the Constitution.    The Senate should just vote.   Those Senators that oppose the appoint,  for the concern you mention,  (as well as others), can vote NO.   

As I understand, it will be next week before Judiciary Committee votes and that will probably be a majority for K.  Then it goes before the full Senate.  I assume they have to allow time for Senators to comment or make speeches before they vote.  Then K. gets between 51-55 votes.

59 minutes ago, jakeem said:

There's a lot of new detail in this story. Among other things, Kavanaugh's accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, contacted the Washington Post and Feinstein in July, and took a polygraph in August, but then decided she didn't want to come forward.

4 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Let's hear Kavanaugh volunteer for a lie detector test.  Just what you want.  A stinking liar and sex offender on the supreme court.  Bad enough you have one in the oval office.

There should be no statute of limitations on rape. This is what almost got Bill Cosby over, but as it turns out criminals often repeat their crime after they once get away with it.

• Thanks 1

Seth AbramsonVerified account @SethAbramson 5h5 hours ago

Can someone explain what the rush is to get Kavanaugh on the court in the next 15 days?

What makes it *impossible* for the nation's most august deliberative body to conduct even a *cursory* investigation of an allegation of *sexual assault* against a lifetime-appointment nominee?

<_<

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jakeem said:

More news: Sen. Bob Corker tells me that the Senate Judiciary panel shouldn't vote on Kavanaugh until Ford is heard out. "I think that would be best for all involved, including the nominee. If she does want to be heard, she should do so promptly."

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

Judiciary Committee member Flake tells POLITICO: "If they push forward without any attempt with hearing what she's had to say, I'm not comfortable voting yes ... we need to hear from her. And I don't think I'm alone in this"

10 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Murkowski says she is open to a delay regarding Kavanagh according to CNN & Huffington Post.

But in the end, she will still vote to confirm him.

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Seth AbramsonVerified account @SethAbramson 5h5 hours ago

Can someone explain what the rush is to get Kavanaugh on the court in the next 15 days?

What makes it *impossible* for the nation's most august deliberative body to conduct even a *cursory* investigation of an allegation of *sexual assault* against a lifetime-appointment nominee?

<_<

Need to get it done before the November elections to force some Dems to vote for confirmation, as well as any reluctant GOPers.

2 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Thankfully, it sounds like the Judiciary Committee will hear from both Kavanaugh and Ford in the next few days. Otherwise I think it is safe to say about 5 GOP senators will vote NO because this nomination appears that it is being railroaded.

If they hear from Dr. Ford, it will be interesting to see how quickly the GOpers cut off what she has to say.

I don't see any GOP senators who will not vote for confirmation.  Colins, Murkowski, Flake and Corker will all toe the party line in the end.

3 minutes ago, TheCid said:

But in the end, she will still vote to confirm him.

Need to get it done before the November elections to force some Dems to vote for confirmation, as well as any reluctant GOPers.

If they hear from Dr. Ford, it will be interesting to see how quickly the GOpers cut off what she has to say.

I don't see any GOP senators who will not vote for confirmation.  Colins, Murkowski, Flake and Corker will all toe the party line in the end. 

What will be more interesting will be how many Red State Democrats that are up for reelection this year will vote for confirmation. This now becomes politically dicey for them no matter what they do.

Sarah KendziorVerified account @sarahkendzior 22h22 hours ago

Alleged offenses of Kavanaugh should halt the application process for *any* job -- and this is SCOTUS:

* Assault and attempted rape

*Perjury

* History of gambling and massive debt paid off in unexplained ways 

And most of the documents on him still haven't been released...

<_<