Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) doesn’t think the Senate should proceed forward with the Supreme Court nomination hearings as if there is no Russian smoke clouding President Trump’s nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Warren noted that Gorsuch is up for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court by a President “whose campaign is under FBI investigation… for collusion w/ Russia.

Lifetime court appointments can wait.”

...What kind of insane government would sit back and allow someone under investigation for treason to appoint a lifelong position to the highest place in the third arm of the government, part of the checks and balances that are supposed to make this country work....

...Trump should not be allowed to choose someone to fill the seat that President Obama constitutionally should have filled,...

Republicans blocked Obama’s choice with no reason, but they won’t block Trump’s choice even though there is a good chance he is a Russian Trojan Horse.....

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/03/21/elizabeth-warren-calls-postponement-gorsuch-hearing-fbi-investigation.html

<_<

Top Dem. Senators Just Announced They Won’t Confirm Gorsuch While Trump Under Investigation-

Republicans argued that we couldn’t confirm Merrick Garland because it was President Obama’s last term, it logically follows that we can’t confirm Neil Gorsuch either, because Trump’s first term is hopefully coming to a very abrupt end....

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/03/21/top-senators-just-announced-wont-confirm-gorsuch-trump-investigation/

:)

• Like 3

If we're talking about Clinton, he must be the president again and I'm 30 years younger!

Highway--

If you just want to live in the past, then you're not going to be able to face the present or prepare for the future.

Princess, this is more about you and you as a women, help me to understand. I seem to see a disconnect from the significance you place on two people.The significance of what your implying towards Trump concerning this issue is horrific, have you ever in your life recognize the same in Bill Clinton and if not why.

Perhaps we need for Senate to just decide not to appoint anyone until we have only 7 positions on court.

If I remember correctly, the Consitution does not designate a specific number of Supreme Court justices. 

Perhaps we need for Senate to just decide not to appoint anyone until we have only 7 positions on court.

If I remember correctly, the Consitution does not designate a specific number of Supreme Court justices. 

The US Constitution does not require any specific number of justices at all. The US Constitution creates the Supreme Court but leaves it to the Congress to determine how many will be on the Court. 

Since adoption of the Constitution, Congress has passed numerous laws changing the number of justices. The current number of nine has been fixed by statute ever since 1869. Prior to that the Supreme Court began with 6 at the Court's inception, then reduced the number to five, increased it to seven, then to nine, then to ten, then to seven again, and finally to its present day number of nine. 

Congress may change the number of justices at anytime it wishes to pass the appropriate statute.

Presently Title 28 of the United States Code, Section 1, states that the Supreme Court shall consist of a Chief Justice and eight associate justices.

• Like 1

If I understood correct Gorsuch stated that Same Sex Marriage was settled case law and that Roe-v-Wade was also (but to a lesser degree which is somewhat strange since that decision was decided many decades before SSM).

Anyhow if true,   it appears a major fear of the social liberals (which I'm one),  may not be warranted.

If I understood correct Gorsuch stated that Same Sex Marriage was settled case law and that Roe-v-Wage was also (but to a lesser degree which is somewhat strange since that decision was decided many decades before SSM).

Anyhow if true,   it appears a major fear of the social liberals (which I'm one),  may not be warranted.

Roe-v-Wade is the case. I'm not sure what Roe-v-Wage is, a minimum wage case? j/k

I heard some commentary on right-wing radio the other day about this. The hard right thinking is that Gorsuch will be a somewhat moderate conservative, voting along party lines 99% of the time. Their big hope is for the next appointee, which they believe will be in the next 2 years at the outside, due to rumors that one of the justices is about to step down (Kennedy, and possible even Ginsburg, as well). With 5, or even 6, Justices always voting on the right-wing side, their #1 goal is the repeal of Roe-v-Wade, with the question of abortion's legality returned to the states. 

Roe-v-Wade is the case. I'm not sure what Roe-v-Wage is, a minimum wage case? j/k

I heard some commentary on right-wing radio the other day about this. The hard right thinking is that Gorsuch will be a somewhat moderate conservative, voting along party lines 99% of the time. Their big hope is for the next appointee, which they believe will be in the next 2 years at the outside, due to rumors that one of the justices is about to step down (Kennedy, and possible even Ginsburg, as well). With 5, or even 6, Justices always voting on the right-wing side, their #1 goal is the repeal of Roe-v-Wade, with the question of abortion's legality returned to the states. 

Note that over the last few decades the right has been a lot more disappointed with GOP President selections,  not towing the line,  than the Left has been with Dem President selections.    I'm not even sure Roberts would rule to overturn RvW.

Like with Obamacare and many other issues the GOP uses these items (overturning RvW,  prayer in school going way back, etc..))  as red-meat to the right wing loons but the final result isn't beef steak but more like chicken.

Note that over the last few decades the right has been a lot more disappointed with GOP President selections,  not towing the line,  than the Left has been with Dem President selections.    I'm not even sure Roberts would rule to overturn RvW.

Like with Obamacare and many other issues the GOP uses these items (overturning RvW,  prayer in school going way back, etc..))  as red-meat to the right wing loons but the final result isn't beef steak but more like chicken.

Normally I'd agree, but in the current climate, I'm not so sure. The Supreme Court returning the issue to the states rather than making a ruling that would outright ban abortion is the kind of cop-out decision I can see them making. That way they can have "clean hands" on whether it actually becomes illegal again, but it's de facto what would happen in many states.

This current political climate is what the far right have been hoping for for the last 50 years : near complete control of all aspects of government from the local to the federal level, and with enough vocal public support to give them the political will to do all of the things they've been dreaming about and talking about for decades. BTW, the push by the Education secretary and other private and charter school proponents for the virtual dissolution of public schools will return prayer to school, since it can only be banned in public institutions. Most private schools in this country are religion-based.

Normally I'd agree, but in the current climate, I'm not so sure. The Supreme Court returning the issue to the states rather than making a ruling that would outright ban abortion is the kind of cop-out decision I can see them making. That way they can have "clean hands" on whether it actually becomes illegal again, but it's de facto what would happen in many states.

This current political climate is what the far right have been hoping for for the last 50 years : near complete control of all aspects of government from the local to the federal level, and with enough vocal public support to give them the political will to do all of the things they've been dreaming about and talking about for decades. BTW, the push by the Education secretary and other private and charter school proponents for the virtual dissolution of public schools will return prayer to school, since it can only be banned in public institutions. Most private schools in this country are religion-based.

Well I'm not so sure either!   Maybe I'm just practicing wishful thinking because I would hate for the clock to be set back as it relates to equal rights and associated freedoms.

As for schools;  I support Charter schools but only using public funds for secular schools.  I'm sure conservatives wouldn't want taxpayer funds to go to a Muslim private school.    

Why not 5? Or 3??

Top Dem. Senators Just Announced They Won’t Confirm Gorsuch While Trump Under Investigation-

Republicans argued that we couldn’t confirm Merrick Garland because it was President Obama’s last term, it logically follows that we can’t confirm Neil Gorsuch either, because Trump’s first term is hopefully coming to a very abrupt end....

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/03/21/top-senators-just-announced-wont-confirm-gorsuch-trump-investigation/

:)

Hey, why not? What's good for the goose..............

Before the election some GOP Senators said having eight justices

on the Court was no problem. I think Teddy Cruz was one of them.

I'm sure they changed their minds sometime after the election.

• Like 2

Schumer Sets Up Filibuster Showdown With GOP -

If Gorsuch "cannot earn 60 votes, a bar met by each of President Obama's nominees and George Bush's last two nominees, the answer isn't to change the rules," Schumer said. "It's to change the nominee."........

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/23/521233951/schumer-says-hell-oppose-gorsuch-nomination-sets-up-filibuster-showdown-with-gop?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170323

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

'People's Filibuster' turns out in 14 cities to urge that nominee Neil Gorsuch be rejected-

"… Gorsuch has "refused to outright state his stance on critical Supreme Court decisions certain to face challenges in upcoming years, such as Roe v. Wade." However, many are concerned about the ultra-conservative, dark money groups backing his confirmation and what that could mean for the balance of the U.S. Supreme Court. [...]..

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/4/1/1649432/--People-s-Filibuster-turns-out-in-14-cities-to-urge-that-Supreme-Court-Neil-Gorsuch-be-rejected

-demand that the Senate not consider a nominee while the administration is under investigation.

<_<

• Like 1

"Constituents at a town hall on Saturday shouted down Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) as he tried to defend his support of Neil Gorsuch, President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee.

When Graham brought up his intention to approve Gorsuch, audience members began shouting “Merrick Garland!”.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lindsey-graham-supreme-court_us_58e10e9ae4b0ba359595b0d9?

• Like 1

Gorsuch could not have come this far without the plutocrats 'Dark Money' -

"Trump released a list of potential Supreme Court nominees...... compiled by two influential organizations from the most extreme wing of the conservative alliance — the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation. Both have received funding from Gorsuch’s patron, Anschutz.

If you have been watching cable news, you likely have seen a slick ad promoting Gorsuch’s nomination to the court. The sponsor is an outfit called the Judicial Crisis Network (JCN). Although his record prompts some court watchers to place Gorsuch to the right of Justice Samuel Alito Jr. and even, in one ranking, to the right of Clarence Thomas — really way out there — the ad makes Gorsuch sound as if he’s a moderate liberal; an effort, no doubt, to persuade some waffling Democrats to cross over and vote for his nomination...

(Judicial Crisis Network) a “secretive, right-wing judicial machine” with lots of money to spend; “dark money,” that is, from hard-to-trace sources.,,,

...“to expand its influence in state elections, JCN has emerged as a pipeline for secret money to other, better-known dark money groups,” including the Republican Attorneys General Association and the Republican State Leadership Committee....

...a linchpin in a nationwide effort by conservative and business groups spending millions of dollars to get Republicans elected as state attorneys general who would then bring cases that challenge the federal government’s power to protect citizens, consumers and the environment. Such a friendlier legal climate would especially be hospitable to curbing tort liability for corporations, making it even harder for citizens to hold big business accountable....

McConnell the hypocrite simply had Merrick Garland disappeared, to be replaced now by Neil Gorsuch, the protégé of a plutocrat.

Democrats have no choice. Sometimes in politics, if your opponent keeps swinging at you with brass knuckles, for the sake of honor — not to mention the sake of democracy — you have to reply with sharp elbows."

http://billmoyers.com/story/senate-democrats-are-right-to-filibuster-gorsuch/

• Like 1
Mitch McConnell’s Nuclear Decision- The claim that Democrats will be responsible for the move to change Senate rules is hard to fathom....

"Republicans filibustered dozens of President Obama’s judicial nominees and then stopped President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Merrick Garland. That decision to deny Judge Garland a hearing and a vote had never happened in the history of the U.S. Senate.

Prior to the hearing I laid out the standards I would use to evaluate Judge Gorsuch. I said he needed to demonstrate that he would uphold and defend the Constitution for all Americans, not just for the advantage of corporations and elites. I said he needed to show that he would be an independent check on President Trump and that he would be prepared to disappoint the right-wing special interest groups who handpicked him if the law required it. And I said he needed to answer questions in a forthright manner....

Judge Gorsuch did none of those things at his hearing....

Senate rules require that a Supreme Court nominee earn 60 votes to end debate on his or her nomination. This rule helps ensure that justices on the high court are not extremists. Every Supreme Court nominee in the past quarter-century showed they could exceed this threshold. Senator McConnell is prepared to abolish this longstanding Senate rule to achieve his partisan goal....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/58e544bee4b00ea3841db54c

• Like 1

Gorsuch Should Be Blocked Because Of Trump Treason-

"...It fractures the integrity of the court. Every 5-4 decision that the stolen seat participates in will have a cloud over it. And there’s other reasons that we shouldn’t be considering this nomination at this moment. The president’s team is under investigation for potentially having conspired with the Russians to undermine the elections. That is potentially treasonous conduct....

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/04/05/democratic-senator-drops-truth-bomb-gorsuch-blocked-trump-treason.html

• Like 1

Republican Party Nukes the US Senate for "Trump's Corrupt Agenda"

"Today, the world's so-called greatest deliberative body has become the latest casualty in the right-wing onslaught on our democracy"

"When it became clear that President Trump's Supreme Court nominee could not meet the 60-vote threshold and should be replaced with a more consensus choice, Leader [Mitch] McConnell opted for a naked partisan power play by changing the rules in the middle of the game,"

"The country will never forget that these Republicans blindly enabled a reckless president under gathering clouds of investigation to steal a seat on the Supreme Court and enshrine his dangerous agenda for a lifetime."....

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/04/06/republican-party-nukes-us-senate-trumps-corrupt-agenda?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

<_<