Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Random favorites

Aaaahhhh...Gregory Peck, hour and hours of him. My computer is in straight live of view with the t.v. so I'm watching and 'talking' at the same time.

One of my favorite memories as a kid was an annual 'day spent with Auntie' - train trip downtown, breakfast in some swank restaurant, shopping for my Christmas present, lunch at another swank restaurant, and from the year I was 7 or 8, ending the day at a downtown Chicago movie house. This is mainly a favorite because it was the first time I was ever in a movie theater let alone saw a movie in one. The movie was 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, and of course it has remained one of my fave movies thru the last 50+ years.

What was the first movie you ever saw in a movie theater? Not just a movie, like on t.v., but one in a theater, any special remembrances from it?

I was born in Washington, D.C. and then we moved to Springfield, MD. There was a theatre on Flower Avenue down the street from where we lived. My mother took me and my brother to see The King and I. I was only about 6 or 7, but it shaped my entire life. I wanted to grow up to be a KING! I wanted beauty and grace around me all my life, and still do. Little did I know the world is an ugly place, and if you want any kind of beauty in it, you have to fight for it. So, I have spent my life pretty much as a recluse. That way I can live as I please without a lot of interference from the world. My home has always been beautiful, and I have spent my life educating myself. I blame (or credit) that movie for setting my standards so high.

It was definitely in Chicago and likely Downtown,but I don't have a clue!! At a very age I saw "War and Peace"(Downtown),and DeMille's 1956 "The Ten Commandments"(at the Portage-neighborhood). But the first HAD be earlier!! "Untamed",with Ty Power-Susan Hayward, I saw at the Tiffin(neighborhood) and that had to be before the Vidor-DeMille flicks!! NO CLUE!!!

Well, I have no grand story of how a movie shaped my life, or great afternoons spent w/ my grandmother in nice movie theaters. Mostly because i'm still Very young. You see, i'm only 15 years old. But I LOVE classic movies more than you can know. The first one I ever saw was "a Stolen life" w/ Bette Davis. Ever since then I just love classic movies. Some of my Favorite Actors are:

. James Stewart, Bette Davis, Judy Garland, Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine, Greta Garbo, Bogart, Gene Kelly, Fred Astair, Ginger Rogers etc.

I'm (sadly) the only one of my friends that love classic movies... most of my friends just want to go to a mall some where. I think I love classic movies so much because they are such good family films. Now a days most movies are so dirty and they use bad language....that its not fit for even a 20 year old... if you ask me. So, there is my little input in the conversation.

Ms. CanadaGirl:

You hang in there. Sooner or later your friends will grow up and begin to realize what they're missing, of course, their 'classics' will be from around 30 years back, but some of the greats like Peck were still working. Their hero's will be the Pacino's, Redfords, Hoffman, and Newman, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Stick around, it's nice to hear a fresh view once in a while instead of just us old fogies.

Well, anyone who loves Greta, is tops in my book. You have to see her Silents, if you haven't already. My personal favorites, because she looks so good in them, are The Temptress (#2) and The Single Standard (#9). Then there is a "run" in her talkies. All of them one right after another, Romance, Inspiration, Susan Lenox, Mata Hari, Grand Hotel and then after those, I like Queen Christina and Camille.

Greta has had a PROFOUND influence on my life since I first saw her in the ninth grade. I have based my life on her philosophy, "Keep to yourself, don't tell everything you know, and always win your battles (even if it looks to everyone else like you've lost!)" That is not a quotation from her. It is just my summation.

And, good for you! You stick to your guns CaNaDaGIRL! Don't worry about what your friends like or dislike. If you develop your own character based on those old films, you will be a great person.

Well have seen a few of her silent films. I must say, my favorite from her is "The Grand Hotel" I loved her as the Ballerina. Being a dancer my self and being in one of my towns local Ballet company's ( Sadly, I don't get paid for being in the company.. too young! But i Sure love doing it.) I think she did a great job. Yeah, I try to have some of my friends watch old Gene Kelly movies like " an American in Paris" but they are just not into it! What can I say, I tried right? Yeah, one day they will find out what they are missing!!

For Gene Kelly, you might try Cover Girl! It is a fun film, with RITA HAYWORTH. You might tout Rita as the draw telling everyone how beautiful and great she was. Often, women are more of a draw to old films than men. Then, if they become enticed, you can start your campaign on Kelly.

Cover Girl is in color too, which might help. I don't even like An American In Paris. I think it one of the most average of musicals and cannot sit through the ballet. Sorry. Not that I have anything against the ballet. The film, to me, is no better than so many others made around the same time. And, I don't think it should have won the Oscar when it was up against A Place In The Sun and A Streetcar Named Desire!

I think that you are probably wiser and more mature than your friends.Your taste in movies shows that through them you have found a comfortable place to be in the turbulent teen years,stick with them as a reference of how the world,relationships and life should be and you can't go wrong.Stick with us on the forum, there's is never a lack of somebody to talk to and associate with.

"I'm (sadly) the only one of my friends that love classic movies... "

Nonsense! All of your friends here love classic movies, too. You just have to come here to hang out with us. Whenever you're feeling down and need a classics movie fix, come on over and holler up someone here. I guarantee someone will be happy to spend an evening reminiscing with you about the good old days.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

CharlieT