Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> Ken I'm Betting you've got green blood running in

> your veins!! :)

Another John Barrymore quote from TC; Refer to the Roscoe Karns character: "That's just like the Irish, you can never depend on them in a pinch ! Were is the Irish Anti-Defamation League when you need it !

GREEN EYES AND BLOOD - What could be better !!

GM,

I feel your pain and hear your weeping & wailing and gnashing of teeth about Greta in 1937. I do love "Camille" - BUT:

This was a very difficult year with Garbo, Rainer and Stanwyck giving their very best.

I could never understand why "Camille" wasn't put forth in 1936 as it was made then. Then, I would say Greta should have won over Rainer. Rainer's was a supporting performance in "The Great Ziegfeld" and she probably wouldn't have won then and Greta would.

However, Luise Rainer in "The Good Earth" is wonderful and goes through more emotions and 'life' than Garbo in "Camille". I have to go with Luise Rainer in 1937.

Interestingly, "Casablanca" and "Now, Voyager" were made in 1942 and were running in 1943. What's with this Academy???

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Edward G. Robinson in "The Sea Wolf" (1941). He was not even nominated for the role.

Mr. Robinson was awarded the, "I did not work for MGM, so I was never even nominated for an Academy Award and I may be leaving this mortal coil soon" honorary academy award. The award was presented in 1973, two months after Edward G. Robinson's death.

Kim Stanley in "Seance On A Wet Afternoon" (1964). Nominated for best actress, lost to Julie Andrews in "Mary Poppins".

You want to talk "rip off"? What about the odd and irrelevant voting for the Grammy Awards? For instance, a few popular music albums released in 1966:

Blonde On Blonde...Bob Dylan.

Pet Sounds...The Beach Boys.

Freak Out!...Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention.

Aftermath...The Rolling Stones.

Fifth Dimension...The Byrds.

Revolver...The Beatles.

The "Album Of The Year" for 1966? "Sinatra: A Man And His Music". The album was a "best of" compilation.

Rusty

I have the DVD of The Good Earth, and agree that Luise Rainer's performance is the best of the year. Unfortunately that's not enough: Garbo's Camille was the best of the decade; it's one for the ages. Ms. Rainer received her Oscar the previous year for a bit part; it's shocking to me that they gave it to her again the following year. Garbo's performance is a reflection of the artistry of the first half of the 20th century. A delicate balance, it's a textbook example of understated grand drama. It's heartbreaking. Almost as heartbreaking as her not receiving an award for a specific performance.

"...They should have did what the gutless Hollywood voters did for 1968 with Streisand ('Funny Girl') and Hepburn ( Who really deserved it! in 'The Lion in Winter')..."

It's not as if Academy members get together in a committee and decide on the winners. Each member fills out his/her own ballot. They didn't plan for a tie...

If you consider the following list of actors who never won, you will see that he was in very good company:

1) Richard Burton (7 nominations)

2) Peter O'Toole (7)

3) Montgomery Clift (4)

4) Robert Redford (1)

5) Kirk Douglas (3)

6) Richard Harris (2)

7) Morgan Freeman (3)

8) James Mason (3)

9) Cary Grant (2)

10) Steve McQueen (1)

11) Albert Finney (5)

12) Sean Penn (3)

13) Tom Cruise (3)

14) Harrison Ford (1)

15) Donald Sutherland (0)

Actresses

1) Glenn Close (5 nominations)

2) Gena Rowlands (2)

3) Kathleen Turner (1)

4) Greta Garbo (4)

5) Deborah Kerr (6)

6) Catherine Deneuve (1)

7) Michelle Pfeiffer (3)

8) Gloria Swanson (3)

9) Liv Ullmann (2)

10) Ava Gardner (1)

Casablanca premiered in November 1942 in NYC, but the actual release date was January 23, 1943. So the film was recognized at the ceremony held in 1944. Just as now, films released in 2006 will be recognized at the awards show in 2007.

To be nominated, among the rules for modern films are:

a) feature length (defined as over 40 minutes),

B) publicly exhibited by means of 35mm or 70mm film, or in a 24- or 48-frame progressive scan Digital Cinema format (minimum native resolution 1280 by 1024 pixels, with pixel bit depth, color primaries, and image and sound file formats suitable for exhibition in commercial Digital Cinema sites).

c) for paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County,

d) for a run of at least seven consecutive days,

e) advertised and exploited during its Los Angeles run in a manner considered normal and customary to the industry, and

f) within the awards year deadlines specified in Rule Three.

> Ken123

>

> Did you ever read Maureen O'Hara's book? Very

> interesting....especially in reference to Ford.

YES ! THE BOOK WAS VERY INTERESTING !! I've posted concerning the Ford revelation before on this site !! Was it Ty Power !!

> I really think Ford robbed O'Hara. And he was such a

> mean person! I am interested in finding out what

> John Wayne thought of him? So many books to read!!

John Ford was certainly an odd character ! But personality aside, I still think he awas/ is America's GREATEST filmmaker !

Jack, I totally agree with you. Garbo should have gotten the Oscar for " Camille." No question. Sometimes you just wonder what in God's name they were thinking. Or maybe that was the problem. They weren't .

Actually, RockyRoad, there was a much earlier tie. For the 5th awards ceremony, there was a tie for Best Actor between Frederic March (Dr. Jekyll & Mr.Hyde) and Wallace Beery (The Champ).

And I think both Hepburn and Streisand gave fantastic performances the year they won. And I say that as someone who couldn't stand Streisand prior to seeing Funny Girl.

"Sorry I don't think Ford had that influence on each one voting in the Oscars..." yet one infers from your comments about the "gutless voters" re the tie between Streisand and Hepburn that your belief that they did plan for a tie would suggest it is not "individual voting".

Message was edited by:

filmlover

Just finishd reading all the posts and hoped someone would mention Olivia vs. Jane for the 1948 awards. Glad you and vecchio spoke about it.

I've always felt Olivia was robbed (even if she had won two years before for "To Each His Own").

The N.Y. Film Critics gave it to Olivia on the first ballot and the Academy should have done the same. Jane was excellent but Olivia's role was much more complex, much more demanding and even included acting (using facial expressions only) while we hear her voice-over thoughts to show inner conflicts, the way Jane did also in "Johnny Belinda". But Olivia's passionate performance (which could so easily have been overplayed) was so overwhelming, I just can't see Jane's quieter work being more effective.

However, it's one year where I wouldn't have minded a tie for Best Actress.

Neil