Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Joan Fontaine vs. Olivia would be even more fun.

The academy voting has developed over the years. There was supposedly atime towards the late Thirties and early Forties where studio influence had a lot to do with deciding the Oscars (so not really a vote).

Personally I like this note sent to Chaplin re the first awards: "The Academy Board of Judges on merit awards for individual achievements in motion picture arts during the year ending August 1, 1928, unanimously decided that your name should be removed from the competitive classes, and that a special first award be conferred upon you for writing, acting, directing and producing 'The Circus.' The collective accomplishments thus displayed place you in a class by yourself." (Letter from the Academy to Mr. Chaplin, dated February 19, 1929.)

I think one of the major travesties happened at the last Oscars in the best song category when the rap(!) song(something about it's hard to be a pimp) won out over the beautiful, haunting song from "Crash", "In the Deep" Even the Dolly Parton song would have been a better choice! I have no idea how anybody could think the pimp song is Oscar-worthy.

I was surprised "Crash" won over "Brokeback Mountain" for best picture, but after seeing "Crash" , I can kind of understand why. Brokeback is more just a love story, where Crash deals with more "important" issues of the day.

Where is my post to "Filmlover"????

I had a nice long message about "Camille" and the 1936 premier and it's not on here.

Larry

PS - if this just doesn't **** me off...... It's about the 6th time over these months that I've lost stuff.

TCM Admin - get it back and up on here, NOW...........

> If you consider the following list of actors who

> never won, you will see that he was in very good

> company:

>

> 1) Richard Burton (7 nominations)

> 2) Peter O'Toole (7)

> 3) Montgomery Clift (4)

> 4) Robert Redford (1)

> 5) Kirk Douglas (3)

> 6) Richard Harris (2)

> 7) Morgan Freeman (3)

> 8) James Mason (3)

> 9) Cary Grant (2)

> 10) Steve McQueen (1)

> 11) Albert Finney (5)

> 12) Sean Penn (3)

> 13) Tom Cruise (3)

> 14) Harrison Ford (1)

> 15) Donald Sutherland (0)

>

You're working from an outdated list. Morgan Freeman won Best Suppporting Actor two years ago for Million Dollar Baby. Sean Penn won Best Actor for Mystic River in 2003. Otherwise, point well-taken.

> I'm sick of important issues of the day!

>

> And, I agree with you about PIMP! For cryin' out

> loud!

>

> I've got 7 Brides on in the background listening to

> all of that glorious music!!!

Ah, yes, this is the first time I've 7 Brides......... I agree with you, the music is awesome, even though the story is kind of silly. But that's the way it is with most musicals IMO

Yes, most musicals are silly, but they are just vehicles to showcase the music. I usually do something until I hear a song. Then, I come in and hum along, or try to sing!!! And, then when it is over, I go back until the next song.

But, I agree Rocky, I like this one.

> Did anyone see A time To Kill with Samuel L

> Jackson!If not that is a movie to see.It made you

> feel Like you were there.I was upset that he never

> got an Oscar for his role.He was so believable in

> that movie,you wouldn't think he was acting.

I agree Jackson was very good, but I think Matthew(can't spell his last name, not going to try :-)) deserved the Oscar. His closing argument had me in tears and it's not easy for a film to bring me to tears.

Hey,Brad, was Sandra Bullock also in this movie?because if she was it's the movie I'm thinking of and it is an excellent movie.Matthew MacConnaughey(spelling?) plays Samuel L. Jackson's lawyer.Jackson is in jail because he killed a man who raped his daughter,right?I didn't see the whole movie,only parts but I want to see the whole thing.I think Garbomaniac would like it.