Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ELEANOR POWELL !!

TikiSoo. Thank you for all your recent replies here. On this page alone I received a great history lesson and backstories on some of my favorite dancers. I discovered Eleanor Powell much later than the other royalty of tap from the 30s and 40s and immediately wondered why I hadn't really heard that much about her before. I think I first saw her when I watched THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT on our beloved TCM. Maybe because she wasn't as strong an actor as many of the other dancers and don't think I ever heard her sing but wow! That dancing! So I went after her films like a heat seeking missile.

As a tribute, I was going to post a clip of my favorite dance routine of hers but I have way too many to pick just one. "Begin the  Beguine" with Astaire, the hula tap routine, "Fascinating Rhythm", for starters. Thanks again, TikiSoo, you definitely are the Princess Royale of Tap.

What the heck, better to choose one than none

Oops. I wanted to post the video with the whole routine including the great hula part. When I tried to edit I couldn't see the url to change it. Can anyone help a newbie out?

• Confused 1

Though I;m not a fan, I certainly must respect Powell-(l9l2-12) & some jazz/fun for trivia fans  E. Powell had the reciord formost taps per minute at 1,000!  Not a rumor, but "Guinness World Records" awarded her that honor

KOOK IT UP SPORTS  FANS

She another that choose e for in adavance her final resting place at the nearby-(to motel I always stat at & of course bordering Paramount Pictures & old RKO Radio, the latter only for now sadly)

"Hollywood, Forever, cem"   I am appositive most had this story breeze by them yrs ago, when the rascist & anti semitic slumb lord owhn the 62 acre park, he delibertately let it run into almost condemning condition, she these 2 young millionairs burghht it & put tons of $fouggh$ inside & out, installiened touch computers for fans the may just wanted to see where Carl "A'falfa" Switzer, *H. McDaniel, Tyron Power, *Janet Gaynor, Flowrence Lawrence, *Paul Muni,  *Peter Finch & of course Valentino is exactly located & then they even installad a movie screen outside & even out black when the broadcast classics with say Valtino, Fairbanks,etc   As for the original slumlord & owner when he finally passed, he was interred with the jewish section of his beloved park!

THANK YOU

(P.S. A one time friend of strongly speculation that Glenn Ford-(l9l6-2006) would also chose "Hollywood, mem. Parlk" due to E. Powell?)

(P.S. & much to my surprise MICKEY "THE MICK" ROONEY-(l920-l924) & I;m by no  means alone her, most of whats left of the little dynamo were certain he'd to to where his moistly ladies had their remains shipped when they went away eventually passing n themseveles like "The Nickj" thought would happened at any day. Welp, NOPE, he keeps them thinking & at first choice this 62 acers cem  vs. where all his contemporaries>*Tracy, *Tracy, , *Bogey,.Ava, -(OOPS, *Sinatra's lady for life no matter what)  Then only a number of weeks called one of the family body guards & another other totally of the wagon just occurred, her going own 73 yr old & *Oscar winner-(something Judy was ever have a top geth one of those horses for ya   To you guys How pain in veery beginning, then it worth living,etc

THANS FOR REASDING & HOPE IS VIEWEVER SEEN OR GLANSEED AT THE SCREEN SOMETHING MAY RUB OFF ON YOU GUYS   (WE PUST GOT OUR PAIN ON WEAY TO BE ION UP THER BASEBET

THANS FOR REASDING & HOPE IS VIEWEVER SEEN OR GLANSEED AT THE SCREEN SOMETHING MAY RUB OFF ON YOU GUYS (WE PUST GOT OUR PAIN ON WEAY TO BE ION UP THER BASEBET

Please stop shouting jibberish at us.

On 3/15/2018 at 1:54 PM, Princess of Tap said:

...I always thought that  Miller was a cold, technical tap dancer with no real connection to the emotional feelings of her audience or her art.

Hmmm..."cold" ya say, eh Princess?!

Well then lady, and MAYBE it's "a guy thing" here, but then please explain to me why THIS scene has always been MY favorite scene in all of Kiss Me Kate ???...

(...'cause I always thought the leggy Ann here was doin' a PRETTY darn good job of "heatin' up the joint", thank you very much!!!)

;)

:ph34r:

17 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm..."cold" ya say, eh Princess?!

Well then lady, and MAYBE it's "a guy thing" here, but then please explain to me why THIS scene has always been MY favorite scene in all of Kiss Me Kate ???...

(...'cause I always thought the leggy Ann here was doin' a PRETTY darn good job of "heatin' up the joint", thank you very much!!!)

;)

Thanks Dargo, LOL. Yeah, I mean whaaaa ... This was the first thing jumping to mind ...  ! If this is "cold and technical" I'll take it.

But I jest, La Princess knows her stuff, her opinion derives from a working knowledge of the Art. We oglers can't grasp that. (I guess).

And I suppose any suggestion as to which dancer has the best, uh, ... "figure" (a euphemism) would be a bit untoward. That consideration is not cold and technical, anyway.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Eleanor Powell was indeed a great dancer.  But Cyd Charisse was the best female dancer I've seen.  Her combination of athleticism, artistry and sensuality is hard to top.  As Fred Astaire said: "When you dance with Cyd Charisse, you know you've been danced with".  William Friedkan attributed this quote to Astaire when he introduced The Bandwagon on the The Essentials, with Alec Baldwin.

As for the other Powell, Jane Powell, she also was a very good dancer. Royal Wedding (1951) with Mr. Astaire is a good example. I always found her similar to Betty Grable.  They both had the girl-next-door persona.  Jane also had great legs. 

6 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Eleanor Powell was indeed a great dancer.  But Cyd Charisse was the best female dancer I've seen.  Her combination of athleticism, artistry and sensuality is hard to top.  As Fred Astaire said: "When you dance with Cyd Charisse, you know you've been danced with".  William Friedkan attributed this quote to Astaire when he introduced The Bandwagon on the The Essentials, with Alec Baldwin.

As for the other Powell, Jane Powell, she also was a very good dancer. Royal Wedding (1951) with Mr. Astaire is a good example. I always found her similar to Betty Grable.  They both had the girl-next-door persona.  Jane also had great legs. 

Astaire use to rave about Jane's dancing ability. I believe she had more technique than Betty Grable. And she certainly was a better singer.

Fred was always fond of Jane and showed it in the number of That's Entertainment interviews the two of them did together.

Ironically Betty Grable was Hermes Pan's( Fred's co-choreographer) protegé from the days of The Gay Divorcée. And that turned out very well for him as he choreographed her vastly popular wartime Technicolor movies for Fox in the 1940s.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Astaire use to rave about Jane's dancing ability. I believe she had more technique than Betty Grable. And she certainly was a better singer.

Fred was always fond of Jane and showed it in the number of That's Entertainment interviews the two of them did together.

Ironically Betty Grable was Hermes Pan's( Fred's co-choreographer) protegé from the days of The Gay Divorcée. And that turned out very well for him as he choreographed her vastly popular wartime Technicolor movies for Fox in the 1940s.

For someone whose resume never lists " dancer" as part of her occupation, Jane Powell really did do a good job of dancing. She appeared in many films where she had to dance, and she never looked over matched (to me, at least.)

I think Betty Grable suffered from being at 20th Century Fox all those years. They seemed unwilling to cast her in any type of musicals other than turn of the century and Coney Island stage shows where she basically wore elaborate costumes and smiled and showed her legs. A few of her dance numbers ( a very small number) do show she was better than they usually let her be. I also think she had a nice singing voice. It was very in style for the big band era. She had decent comedy skills, too.

Since we are speaking of Fred Astaire here ( one of my favorite topics!) I have to add that as I was watching ZIEGFELD FOLLIES the other day on TCM, I was thinking how delightful of a pair Fred and Lucille Bremer made. I really liked their numbers in that film ( and Yolanda And The Thief.) Both films were Eugene Loring dance numbers, weren't they? I really like the Limehouse Blues dream sequence, even through the chinese makeup ( which was actually kept minimal on both of them, I felt.) I love seeing Fred do a cartwheel :D! I just always have had a thing for dances with props, and I love the fan work.

I think Bremer had a similar dance style as Rita Hayworth, except without the look of pure joy Rita conveyed through her dancing.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For someone whose resume never lists " dancer" as part of her occupation, Jane Powell really did do a good job of dancing. She appeared in many films where she had to dance, and she never looked over matched (to me, at least.)

I think Betty Grable suffered from being at 20th Century Fox all those years. They seemed unwilling to cast her in any type of musicals other than turn of the century and Coney Island stage shows where she basically wore elaborate costumes and smiled and showed her legs. A few of her dance numbers ( a very small number) do show she was better than they usually let her be. I also think she had a nice singing voice. It was very in style for the big band era. She had decent comedy skills, too.

Since we are speaking of Fred Astaire here ( one of my favorite topics!) I have to add that as I was watching ZIEGFELD FOLLIES the other day on TCM, I was thinking how delightful of a pair Fred and Lucille Bremer made. I really liked their numbers in that film ( and Yolanda And The Thief.) Both films were Eugene Loring dance numbers, weren't they? I really like the Limehouse Blues dream sequence, even through the chinese makeup ( which was actually kept minimal on both of them, I felt.) I love seeing Fred do a cartwheel :D! I just always have had a thing for dances with props, and I love the fan work.

I think Bremer had a similar dance style as Rita Hayworth, except without the look of pure joy Rita conveyed through her dancing.

Lucille Bremer had to be the one that got away.  She was a big favorite of Arthur Freed's and he tried to push her whenever he could, but the public just didn't warm to her.

Yolanda and the Thief was really a queer, strange movie that nobody liked. Maybe if Lucille had had an opportunity to be in something better she would have caught on. I liked her in Meet Me In St Louis and I used to wonder who in the world she was and what in the world ever happened to her. LOL

Nevertheless Limehouse Blues is exquisite. It seems like it was the most ballet thing that Astaire ever did. He would have been wonderful in ballet.

BTW--  Eugene Loring was also the ballet choreographer in Silk Stockings for Cyd.

• Like 2
On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM, cinemaspeak59 said:

Cyd Charisse was an amazing beautiful dancer. Her dance scene with Ricardo Montiblan in "On an island with you", especially the slide across the counter moves of theirs, along with Cyd's dancing talent, her grace, style, and her legs were sensational. Her dance scene earlier in the film with Ricardo on the dance floor was awe inspiring. Since Esther Williams was there to light up the film with her swimming, the film needed a beautiful, gracious dancer too, and they made the very good choice of selecting Cyd for the part. I love Ann Miller's dancing and grace also.  Her scene in "Easter parade" dancing to "shaking the blues away" is classicly wonderful.  Her scene in "Kiss me Kate" that is mentioned on this page is also amazing. Eleanor Powell still is just about the best of all when it comes to pure talent, and those high kicks of hers, she makes it seem so effortless. Her finale dance in "Born to dance", the film's title really does live up to its name.  I love Eleanor and Fred Astair dancing together in "Broadway melody 1940". Speaking of Fred, Ginger Rogers is still the tops in grace and beautiful dancing also, which is shown in many including "Top hat" doing "The piccolino" and in "Let yourself go" in "Follow the fleet".

Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, Ginger, Eleanor, Ann, and Cyd were all extremely talented, graceful, and beautiful dancers. They all helped make the classic films wonderful.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2018 at 4:17 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Lucille Bremer had to be the one that got away.  She was a big favorite of Arthur Freed's and he tried to push her whenever he could, but the public just didn't warm to her.

Yolanda and the Thief was really a queer, strange movie that nobody liked. Maybe if Lucille had had an opportunity to be in something better she would have caught on. I liked her in Meet Me In St Louis and I used to wonder who in the world she was and what in the world ever happened to her. LOL

Nevertheless Limehouse Blues is exquisite. It seems like it was the most ballet thing that Astaire ever did. He would have been wonderful in ballet.

BTW--  Eugene Loring was also the ballet choreographer in Silk Stockings for Cyd.

It's a mystery why Lucille Bremer didn't become a bigger star.  She was a great dancer, with striking red hair, expressive blue eyes, and a wonderful figure.  She wasn't as compelling a screen presence as Cyd Charisse, and I can see why people might read a certain blandness about her.  It could also be due to not finding the right studio and the right projects to showcase her talents.  I particularly loved the "I Won't Dance" number Bremer performed with Van Johnson in Till The Clouds Roll By (1946).  You couldn't keep your eyes off her, she was that good.

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 12:18 PM, cinemaspeak59 said:

It's a mystery why Lucille Bremer didn't become a bigger star.  She was a great dancer, with striking red hair, expressive blue eyes, and a wonderful figure.  She wasn't as compelling a screen presence as Cyd Charisse, and I can see why people might read a certain blandness about her.  It could also be due to not finding the right studio and the right projects to showcase her talents.  I particularly loved the "I Won't Dance" number Bremer performed with Van Johnson in Till The Clouds Roll By (1946).  You couldn't keep your eyes off her, she was that good.

I loved the film "Til the clouds roll by". Besides all the great cameos throughout the film, it was truly a touching heartwarming story which was played very well by Robert Walker as Jerome Kerns and Van Hefler, and had some sad tearjerking moments too such as Van's death scene and the Lustiania tragedy with producer Charles Froman on board. Nice romantic moments too between Walker and not very well known Dorothy Patrick, who was quite charming and beautiful as his wife.  Lucille Bremer had some good dramatic scenes with Judy Garland with her not understanding self sacrifice for the good of the show. And she was great with Van Johnson in "I won't dance".

I loved all the different stars that played some good parts in the film. My favorites were Judy Garland in "Who", a wonderful number. Kathryn Grayson was amazing again with her beautiful, talented opera, just like in "Anchors aweigh", I love her, she's so beautiful, looks, charm, and voice. Dinah Shore was great in her two different numbers; earlier with "You didn't believe me", and later on in "Last time I saw Paris", with real background video shots of 1920s Paris.  And there were numerous other great numbers. June Allison's "Cleopatterer" was amusing, but Angela Langsbury's theatre number was one of my least favorites of the film. But I like Angela, she was great in "Harvey girls". 

"Til the clouds roll by" was a fabulous film overall, which seems more underrated today.

• Like 1