Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help identify what might be a great film -(identified)

I saw a chunk of a b&w western drama on TCM last year that I have been recently wondering about-

It was about a man who had been a great marksman, but for some reason had promised to never touch a gun again. Something happened, I think a bad seed had come to town threatening people, and was forced to choose between his promise and saving himself and the town.

The part I saw happened in and outside of the town church.

I think he was married, and had some drama with his wife in deliberating using a gun or not. I don't think she knew his past.

It was black and white, but of a stylish sort, maybe have been made after color became widespread, or maybe not.

Any help identifying this film would be appreciated. Sorry for such fuzzy details, but I did not see in full (something I hope to change) and it was quite a while ago.

I really feel that this is a very good Western. I can't help but wonder why they didn't film it in color. The stars certainly were major enough to warrant this. And I thought Glenn Ford and Jeanne Crain made a very believable couple. Boy, Ford surely did make some wonderful Westerns!

Terrence.

I think Glenn Ford made some very good westerns. In addition to "Fastest Gun Alive" I think "Jubal" is under rated. I didn't even know about this one until a year or so ago. Another very solid performance from Ford. This time Rod Steiger gets to be creepy and Ernest Borgnine is pretty much a good but very jealous husband. If you haven't seen it it has been all over Encore's Westerns Channel.

"...it is fun to see Ford as a villain."

After reading Frank Capra's Name Above the Title, it's hard for me to think of him as anything other than a villain. Now it's said that Capra's book wasn't trustworthy. Who knows what to believe?

Yes, they worked on Pocketful of Miracles together and apparently Glenn Ford's ego got in the way, making him very difficult to work with. I wish I had some specific quotes at hand; anyone have a copy of Name Above the Title handy?

> Yes, they worked on Pocketful of Miracles

> together and apparently Glenn Ford's ego got in the

> way, making him very difficult to work with. I wish

> I had some specific quotes at hand; anyone have a

> copy of Name Above the Title handy?

At one time and for many years I had a copy of Frank Capra's autobiography. One thing that I do remember is that Capra had Shirley Jones all but signed up for the younger female lead, but that Glenn Ford wanted his girlfriend Hope Lange for the part,and she got it.Also according to Capra, Ford was very rude to Bette Davis, acting as if he ( Ford ) had resurrected her career.

A couple of years late ( 1963 ) Ford and Lange teamed up in a very so - so comedy. "Love is a Ball ". Shortly thereafter Food and Shirley Jones did appear together in. "The Courtship of Eddie's Father",which was better than "Love". Also in " Courtship " was Glenn Ford's new girlfriend Stella Stevens. Ford and Stella were in at least two other film together .

I don't know if it got any recognition or not but 'Untamed' with Susan Hayward, Tyrone Power, and Richard Egan was a beautifully photographed, good story which covered many years. I thought the acting was good altho bits of it reminded me of GWTW.

Anne

Speaking of Glenn Ford Westerns, let's not forget "The Violent Men". This has a terrific cast and a well-written story. And Barbara Stanwyck is at her evil best in this one. She actually tries to burn her crippled husband to death!

Terrence.

Yes, it had some similarities to GWTW, though I wasn't crazy about it. I thought the Hayward character was a bit too much and the Egan character too weak, and she seemed really cruel the way she used him. There was not enough of Tyrone Power - I think he was trying to finish his contract up. I think it was originally supposed to be Robert Mitchum and someone else in the Egan role, and as I recall, it would have come off even worse had that been the case. It seemed like Power blew Hayward off through most of the film - can you imagine it with Mitchum? He seemed to blow women off when he was in love with them!

It also has one of the great lines of all time (after Egan loses his leg) by Rita Moreno: WHAT'S LEFT OF HIM IS MINE!