Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dorothy Lamour, Linda Darnell, and Gene Tierney

msladysoul

MGM ladies usually get all the praise here but I favor the ladies outside of MGM.

I hardly ever hear talk on Dorothy Lamour. I want to give her some recognition. I think she's another one of my most beautiful of the Golden Era because of her rare, distinct beauty and those telling, deep eyes. She was a vision of loveliness. Dorothy was one of the very few beauties who didn't live tragically or promisicously. I got to applaud her for that. I haven't seen many of her films. For some reason I don't enjoy her films with Hope and Crosby but I like the films she did by herself. I see why she was voted the most favorite movie star in the forties because she so welcoming.

I only seen part of 2 films of Linda Darnell and that was a couple of years ago but I never forgot the face of Linda. She is the definition of beautiful and plus she could act too. So I can't say she was just a pretty face. She was called "the girl with the perfect face" and who could deny. Her face had such great personality and warmth. TCM doesn't have many of her best films so we don't see much of her on TCM.

I found this great site on Linda.

hometown.aol.com/donhrcf/LindaDarnell.html

I hardly hear discussions on Gene Tierney here either. She was the most loved of the forties. She's another who I've only seen in a few films but never forget her. Darryl Zanuck said Gene was "unquestionably the most beautiful woman in movie history and one who could act".

These three ladies are the definition of that Classic Hollywood beauty, personality, and charisma that actresses today don't have.

I guess some will never appreciate Lamour and Darnell and Tierney since their the least shown on TCM though their still in the back of our minds. AMC use to show their films before they went modern.

Any praise, reviews, recognition for Lamour, Darnell, and Tierney?

Linda was one my favorites, Dorothy Lamour was a tiny bit lower on my list,Gene Tierney very beautiful but I could never really warn up to her !

Linda Darnell died as a result of burns suffered in a fire while visiting friends in Skokie, Illinois, just North of Chicago, about three miles from where I was living at the time !

I first saw Linda about 6 years ago in A Letter to Three Wives on AMC and then No Way Out which I loved. I saw a short documentary on Linda Darnell on Mysteries and Scandals a few years ago. She feared fires but she still wanted to save a child's life and that touched my heart, she appeared more human to me for that. She was so young, I wish she could have lived to tell her story.

Linda always looked as though she was mixed with other races. I always felt she should of played Pinky or Julie in Showboat.

Tyrone Power's was a lucky man to have Darnell and Rita Hayworth as his leading ladies in Blood and Sand. I hate how Howard Hughes romanced Linda and Gene. He didn't deserve them only his power and money got them I think.

I don't think Linda or Dorothy had any films that were the greatest movies but they were always a joy to see. I could never forget their faces. They say the bio on Linda is excellent, one day I'll have to read it.

Do you know what type of personality Linda had? Was she stuck-up, conceited, self-contained? I guess people always think that of beautiful women.

Gene Tierney was such a lady, a good girl compared to the others of the Golden Era and that showed a lot on screen. I wish TCM would borrow films of Darnell and Tierney to show, they've done it in the past.

> I first saw Linda about 6 years ago in A Letter to

> Three Wives on AMC and then No Way Out which I loved.

> I saw a short documentary on Linda Darnell on

> Mysteries and Scandals a few years ago. She feared

> fires but she still wanted to save a child's life and

> that touched my heart, she appeared more human to me

> for that. She was so young, I wish she could have

> lived to tell her story.

>

> Linda always looked as though she was mixed with

> other races. I always felt she should of played Pinky

> or Julie in Showboat.

>

> Tyrone Power's was a lucky man to have Darnell and

> Rita Hayworth as his leading ladies in Blood and

> Sand. I hate how Howard Hughes romanced Linda and

> Gene. He didn't deserve them only his power and money

> got them I think.

>

> I don't think Linda or Dorothy had any films that

> were the greatest movies but they were always a joy

> to see. I could never forget their faces. They say

> the bio on Linda is excellent, one day I'll have to

> read it.

>

> Do you know what type of personality Linda had? Was

> she stuck-up, conceited, self-contained? I guess

> people always think that of beautiful women.

>

> Gene Tierney was such a lady, a good girl compared to

> the others of the Golden Era and that showed a lot on

> screen. I wish TCM would borrow films of Darnell and

> Tierney to show, they've done it in the past.

From what I understand she was very friendly and down to Earth. She gave a great performance in "A Letter to Three Wives " and she was at her seductive best in " Fallen Angel " with Dana Andrews.The DVD of that film contains Susan Andrews, Dana daughter's, thoughts on Linda !

Linda would have GREAT as Pinky,available on DVD, with a very critical commentary by Kenneth Geist ! Jeanne Crain,the # 1 leading lady at Fox, at the time,likely received because of her perceived Box - Office appeal I've heard conflicting accounts of Linda's relationship with Darryl F. Zanuck and the actual Producer of this film. Either they disliked each other immensely, or that they were one - time lovers, maybe both !3

Dudley Nichols original screenplay had the **** burn down Ethel' Barrymore's Mansion after Pinky won the case, he would not change it and was fired. Shortly after shotong started John Ford quit as Director, and Elia Kazan was brought in. For a number of reason Kazan is NOT one of my favorite directors. Mr. Kazan and Ethel Waters did not get along, in fact you can say that they HATED one another !!

Linda Darnell was one of the great beauties of her era and has always been a favorite of mine. I thought she was at her best in comedies. She started her career when she was very young and had several unfortunate marriages and had a drinking problem, but in the 1940's she was radiant.

To see Gene Tierney, (totally beautiful) as both bad and good girl, see 'Laura', easy to see how the dectective (Dana Andrews) could fall in love with a painting', I heard that was a blown up photo that the art department painted with clear oil paint to look like a portrait. and As a bad girl, a total b**ch, see 'Leave Her to Heaven', wow. . . wicked.

Linda Darnell was a perfect "Forever Amber' and so endearing as Tyrone Powers love interest in the original 'Zorro'.

Sorry, but I just don't agree with Dorothy Lamour, I never found her attractive and couldn't 'get' even the likes of Hope and Crosby always vying for her.

> I read some old Hollywood book that Gene was

> considered the only beauty who could act and for that

> reason wasn't stereotyped to be just a glamorous sexy

> symbol who seduces men with no motive.

I thought that Linda was the better actress, but that she was often given inferior roles ! Linda is priceless in " A Letter to Three Wives" as "shanty Irish" Laura May !!

Gene was in two great films - Leave her to Heaven and Laura while Linda I don't think was ever in a considered great film by critics but she always gave a pleasing performance.

(TCM has The Shanghai Gesture which they show, Gene is real good in this film.)

I agree Ann that Leave her to Heaven had me really thinking Gene was a B**ch and others did too in her time. She was great as the B**ch who no one suspected was one. She was sneaky with her bitchiness.

Could any of you picture Linda in Laura or Leave her to Heaven? Would Linda have given the same impactive performance as Gene?

> Gene was in two great films - Leave her to Heaven and

> Laura while Linda I don't think was ever in a

> considered great film by critics but she always gave

> a pleasing performance.

>

> (TCM has The Shanghai Gesture which they show, Gene

> is real good in this film.)

>

> I agree Ann that Leave her to Heaven had me really

> thinking Gene was a B**ch and others did too in her

> time. She was great as the B**ch who no one suspected

> was one. She was sneaky with her bitchiness.

>

> Could any of you picture Linda in Laura or Leave her

> to Heaven? Would Linda have given the same impactive

> performance as Gene?

To me Gene Tierney was a great b**ch in "Leave Her to Heaven ", it was her finest performance ! I think would have been a little too seductive for that role!

The DVD cometary with Darryl Hickman( played the ill- fated Danny ) is not favorable to director John Stahl and he is somewhat harsh toward Gene, considering that I believe that she had just endured a very painful pregnancy, I think that his comments were ill- advised !

Again I will refer to my late wife - - - She thought that Linda Darnell was one of the Most Beautiful Women EVER !

Linda was GREAT IN "No Way Out ". I think that while watching that film that my wife made the comment about Linda's beauty. I know the reason that my wife was watching the film, was because her "Dreamboat " Sidney was starring. Great performances in that film, by the three leads ! The DVD cometary is very good also !!

I totally love Dorothy Lamour and I completely agree with the first poster, she was a movie star you could be proud to be a fan of. She never got involved with scandal, never embarassed her fans, or shamed herself like many of her contemporaries. I'm not judging them, but it's just something more to admire Dorothy for. She was a wonderful, all-around talent, she sang beautifully (she has many CDS in print that you can buy at amazon.com and other places on the net), she was a pleasant comedienne and a very good dramatic actress (she's excellent as Tyrone Power's leading lady in JOHNNY APOLLO). Her movie THE HURRICANE is most definately a classic and TCM shows it all the time but I sure do wish they would get some more of the rarer Lamours from Paramount (the movies are owned by Universal now) and show them - great musicals like THE FLEETS IN and AND THE ANGELS SING, fine adventure pictures like SPAWN OF THE NORTH and her various sarong sagas like THE JUNGLE PRINCESS, and the moving John Steinbeck drama A MEDAL FOR BENNY. This girl was one of the greats and it's a shame so much of her best work is locked away in studio vaults. Incidentally, Robert Osborne has credited Dorothy Lamour for helping him get the job at TCM, I can't remember the exact story, but for that alone we should all love her!!

Gene Tierney is definately another one of the beautiful, talented ladies. I love her early work the best like TOBACCO ROAD, SON OF FURY, and the awesome Technicolor picture THUNDER BIRDS. If you have access to the Fox Movie Channel, you can see almost everything Gene did (and Linda Darnell, too) over time. And Fox has been very good about releasing many of their classics on DVD at modest prices. There's several Tierney DVDs out there.

I heard a lot about Johnny Apollo I have to check that out. Dorothy Lamour took some amazing photos.This is hard for me to say about others but I have to applaud Dorothy who wasn't of the Hollywood norm (tragic, promiscuous, drugs, alcohol, mental illness) and kept some morals and values with self-respect. I suppose one of the reasons why we don't hear much about Dorothy is because she lived a fairly scandal-free, clean life so no one could gossip about her and writer numerous books on her. Books on stars who lived good don't sell. You certainly can be proud to be a fan of Dorothy. Dorothy was one of those movie stars who never appeared in a great, defining film but she was just one of those lovable movie stars who you could depend on entertaining you whether it's an A, B, or unimportant film and that's all that matters.

Every studio has an image and style and I think Linda was with the wrong studio. I don't think Fox suited her. I picture her being in those Warner Bros. gangster/crime films and doing those gun moll/bad girl films like Ann Sheridan and Lauren Bacall. Do anyone else see this? After seeing No Way Out, she would have fit Warner's bad girls image.

There was a black actress by the name of Francine Everett who I always called the black version of Linda Darnell because Francine's beauty was of the same high quality of Linda's. She was a movie star in the race films in the 40's. She too was called the most beautiful girl in Harlem. She certainly had a perfect face too. She coincidentally was offered a contract by 20th Century (the studio Linda would be signed too) but Francine's husband at the time actor Rex Ingram of Green Pastures fame persuaded her to turn it down because he felt there should be only one actor in the family. She always regretted turning down the contract because there's no telling where she could of went. She could of been the first Lena Horne. I always favored her over Horne and Dandridge because Everett was versatile, warm, and welcoming. If you ever get a chance to see her movies you will really like her and see her potential because she fit the beauty and talent standards of Hollywood. She did more in race films then Horne in Hollywood. I know many put down the race films but in all her films she always shined and was the most entertaining. Francine was a talented woman who could sing, dance, and really act and was a movie star within her community but I can't help but think what could of happen had she taken the contract from Fox. There was like a pattern at the time where only one black actress a decade so Horne was the star of the forties but everyone in that era felt Francine was more deserving and had more qualities to be a Hollywood star. Francine was in two Hollywood films "No Way Out" which also coincidently starred Linda Darnell and "Lost Boundaries" but if you blink you miss her because the parts are so small. I think you would like her if you check out her films like Big Timers, Dirty Gertie from Harlem, Paradise in Harlem, and Keep Punching.

Thanks for telling us about Francine Everett. I remember seeing her in a film at a college showing where she was, I think, a nightclub performer - maybe it was "Paradise in Harlem?" I looked for pictures of her on the web just now, but didn't come up with too much and I don't have time now to search too far. I'll look over the weekend. I did find this one, though:

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/ninamaemckinney/FrancineEverett.html

which has a little bio and a few pictures, which look like they were copied from newspapers. There are so many fine African-American performers most of us don't even know about. It's really wonderful to see these forgotten films. One of our NYC cable TV stations, which is run by the City University system, occasionally runs "race films," but they are generally the worse for wear. I don't hear the various film restoration organizations mentioning these movies, and they are in desperate need of repair.

I enjoy Lamour in the "Road" pictures and in The Hurricane. She is especially fun in Star Spangled Rythm.

Gene Tierney is unforgettable as the haunting Laura.

I love Linda Darnell in The Mark of Zorro - but haven't seen her in any other movies-except for a brief appearance in Hollywood Goes To War. If you havn't seen it I recommend that you do. I find it interesting to see her without her glam look. Her hair is frizzy and maybe even tangled - she looks like a gorgeous girl next door. :-)

I'm also a Tierney and Darnell fan, and I'm still trying to catch up on watching a bunch of their not-on-home-video films that I taped off the Cinemax channels and Fox Movie Channel. As great as TCM is, you'll almost certainly have to look elsewhere to get the majority of these two ladies' films because of their long careers with Fox.

Cinemax has run old Fox films for more than 20 years, and a few Tierney and Darnell gems still pop up, usually at the crack of dawn. Some of them will also air on HBO Signature. FMC is now beginning to air films that for years seemed to turn up only on the Cinemax schedules, such as Tierney's "China Girl." Always More Commercials still airs old Fox films, as they did before they went over to the Dark Side, but I don't know how much they cut them to squeeze in more ads.

Linda is really something to see in "Star Dust," her third film, which I taped off of MoreMax or 5StarMax. "Sweet and Low Down" and "Chad Hanna" are two more that you can find on the Max channels and possibly FMC now and then. She speaks to the audience in the trailer for "Two Flags West," which is appearing on Fox Western DVD's released this year, although the film itself isn't on the release schedule. Cinemax runs it, though. FMC runs "The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe" periodically. Linda has at least two films for Otto Preminger that don't seem to air anywhere, and some of her '50s films and TV appearances are also hard to find nowadays.

I finally got to see Tierney in "A Bell for Adano" when FMC ran it recently, after I missed taping it on Cinemax a few years ago. "Thunder Birds" just came out on DVD, and FMC occasionally runs "On the Riviera," "The Secret of Convict Lake," "Daughter of the Mind," a full-screen "Black Widow" and a widescreen "Left Hand of God" (issued full-screen on VHS before).

Gene Tierney: One the most beautiful women of all time along with Grace Kelly, Hedy Lamarr, Liz Taylor, Vivien Leigh and Virginia Grey. Talented, classy actress, of whom I've seen many films. I wish I'd see her in "Dragonwyck".

Linda Darnell; another beauty and a great actress; could be innocent in films like "Blood and Sand" and "The Mark of Zorro"; bitchy as in "Fallen Angel" and that immortal potboiler "Forever Amber"; hard-bolied & smart as in "Letter to Three Wives". Love her.

Dorothy Lamour. Our pretty sarong lady. She looked magnificent in "The Hurricane". Had an intersteing sultry role in the great "High, Wide and Handsome" opposite Irene Dunne and Randy Scott. Was sympathetic and nice in "The Greatest Show on Earth" and was the heart of all those "Road" films. A good natured, lovely lady.

Wow, I'm glad to see the support for these three ladies. I thought everyone would be bias towards women outside MGM.

I love the fact that Dorothy, Linda, and Gene were beautiful but could act. They didn't let their beauty get in the way of their true talent and didn't let anyone brainwash them to think all they was good for was for looks and they also proved they didn't feel they could just make it off their looks, they wanted to make it with talent. Their humbleness makes them even more beautiful. Gene actually was embrassed when people called her beautiful and looked at her.

I wish I had Fox and Cinemax and the other stations mentioned because I'm starting to venture outside of MGM and Warner Bros. films. The thing about other stations is they show commercials which can mess up a good movie. There's a new movie station called "I" that is starting to show old films outside of MGM and even British films.

Archived