> that out. Dorothy Lamour took some amazing

> photos.This is hard for me to say about others but I

> have to applaud Dorothy who wasn't of the Hollywood

> norm (tragic, promiscuous, drugs, alcohol, mental

> illness) and kept some morals and values with

> self-respect. I suppose one of the reasons why we

> don't hear much about Dorothy is because she lived a

> fairly scandal-free, clean life so no one could

> gossip about her and writer numerous books on her.

> Books on stars who lived good don't sell. You

> certainly can be proud to be a fan of Dorothy.

> Dorothy was one of those movie stars who never

> appeared in a great, defining film but she was just

> one of those lovable movie stars who you could depend

> on entertaining you whether it's an A, B, or

> unimportant film and that's all that matters.

>

> Every studio has an image and style and I think Linda

> was with the wrong studio. I don't think Fox suited

> her. I picture her being in those Warner Bros.

> gangster/crime films and doing those gun moll/bad

> girl films like Ann Sheridan and Lauren Bacall. Do

> anyone else see this? After seeing No Way Out, she

> would have fit Warner's bad girls image.

>

> There was a black actress by the name of Francine

> Everett who I always called the black version of

> Linda Darnell because Francine's beauty was of the

> same high quality of Linda's. She was a movie star in

> the race films in the 40's. She too was called the

> most beautiful girl in Harlem. She certainly had a

> perfect face too. She coincidentally was offered a

> contract by 20th Century (the studio Linda would be

> signed too) but Francine's husband at the time actor

> Rex Ingram of Green Pastures fame persuaded her to

> turn it down because he felt there should be only one

> actor in the family. She always regretted turning

> down the contract because there's no telling where

> she could of went. She could of been the first Lena

> Horne. I always favored her over Horne and Dandridge

> because Everett was versatile, warm, and welcoming.

> If you ever get a chance to see her movies you will

> really like her and see her potential because she fit

> the beauty and talent standards of Hollywood. She did

> more in race films then Horne in Hollywood. I know

> many put down the race films but in all her films she

> always shined and was the most entertaining. Francine

> was a talented woman who could sing, dance, and

> really act and was a movie star within her community

> but I can't help but think what could of happen had

> she taken the contract from Fox. There was like a

> pattern at the time where only one black actress a

> decade so Horne was the star of the forties but

> everyone in that era felt Francine was more deserving

> and had more qualities to be a Hollywood star.

> Francine was in two Hollywood films "No Way Out"

> which also coincidently starred Linda Darnell and

> "Lost Boundaries" but if you blink you miss her

> because the parts are so small. I think you would

> like her if you check out her films like Big Timers,

> Dirty Gertie from Harlem, Paradise in Harlem, and

> Keep Punching.

>

> Every studio has an image and style and I think Linda

> was with the wrong studio. I don't think Fox suited

> her. I picture her being in those Warner Bros.

> gangster/crime films and doing those gun moll/bad

> girl films like Ann Sheridan and Lauren Bacall. Do

> anyone else see this? After seeing No Way Out, she

> would have fit Warner's bad girls image.

In my April 2, 2006 Review of " A Letter to Three Wives " I mention that Linda was terribly ill - used by Fox. She steals the movie. My review is for the DVD on Amazon's Customer review page. I gave it 5 - Stars.Other films that feature Linda Darnell that I have reviewed included "My Darling Clementine ) ( in the review I criticize the audio commentator for being harsh on Linda),"The Mark of Zorro","No Way Out", and "Fallen Angel ". All films, except the last received 5 stars (the highest rating ) " Fallen Angel " received 4 stars. Hard= boiled, with a comedic edge was her forte.Fox did misuse her talents.

It saddens me to think about all the hell many actresses went through just to show their talent. I wonder did any of them feel like it was worth it? Did any of them feel like they wanted to give up?

I believe she has an adoptive daughter alive.

I always choose Linda over Ava Gardner anytime. One thing MGM had over other studios was their brilliant way of using publicity to make someone a big star whether they had talent or not. Other studios didn't do much publicity for their stars in the way MGM did. If Linda was with MGM she would be well-known today and a much-talked about movie star even if MGM didn't give her deserving roles. Fox gave Linda a few memorables roles which helped Linda showcase her talent. I dont think MGM would have. MGM would have just made Linda be a glamorous seductresses or a sit down - stand up beauty who don't do anything.

I agree with the poster that said race films are in dire need of restoration. I have to admit the few race films shown on TCM were in pretty good condition but if you buy some race movies in stores their not in very good condition so I wish TCM would show more black cinema films because they can get the good copy.

> It saddens me to think about all the hell many

> actresses went through just to show their talent. I

> wonder did any of them feel like it was worth it? Did

> any of them feel like they wanted to give up?

>

> I believe she has an adoptive daughter alive.

>

> I always choose Linda over Ava Gardner anytime. One

> thing MGM had over other studios was their brilliant

> way of using publicity to make someone a big star

> whether they had talent or not. Other studios didn't

> do much publicity for their stars in the way MGM did.

> If Linda was with MGM she would be well-known today

> and a much-talked about movie star even if MGM

> didn't give her deserving roles. Fox gave Linda a few

> memorables roles which helped Linda showcase her

> talent. I dont think MGM would have. MGM would have

> just made Linda be a glamorous seductresses or a sit

> down - stand up beauty who don't do anything.

>

> I agree with the poster that said race films are in

> dire need of restoration. I have to admit the few

> race films shown on TCM were in pretty good condition

> but if you buy some race movies in stores their not

> in very good condition so I wish TCM would show more

> black cinema films because they can get the good copy.

I agree with the earlier post that Linda Darnell would have been better situated at Warner Bros. Where she would have been awesome as a Joan Blondel - Ann Sheridan, tough as nails dame. I'm afraid that at MGM Linda would have the same fate as Marsha Hunt, wasted in "B" comedies and second-third female leads in bigger films.Marsha was great in the noir ( near ) classic "Raw Deal. But the witch was just around the corner. To me BOTH Linda and Marsha were sexier than Ava .

Don't forget Dorothy and Linda were both in CHAD HANNA, an early Technicolor picture from 1940 with Henry Fonda. AMC used to play it fairly often in the good ole days when they played american movie classics. Gene also worked opposite Fonda.

And Dorothy, Gene, and Linda all were Tyrone Power's leading lady in a picture or two.

I would have loved to see Linda Darnell in a movie with Humphrey Bogart, Cagney, and Dennis Morgan. I think Bogart and Linda Darnell would have had great chemistry together. I think Ann Sheridan and Linda would have been a great female duo too.

> I would have loved to see Linda Darnel in a movie

> with Humph Bogart, Cagney, and Dennis Morgan. I

> think Bogart and Linda Darnell would have had great

> chemistry together. I think Ann Sheridan and Linda

> would have been a great female duo too.

Unfortunately Linda was stuck at Fox ! But even they could have used her in more noirs.The Cagney,Ann,and Linda trio would have a knock - out .

Love all 3 of these beauties. Just picked up some more Noir films with Gene and Linda. Just watched Fallen Angel with Linda, Alice Faye and Dana Andrews, pretty cool flick!

I will say it again, Gene Tierney was the most beautiful woman of classic Hollywood, hands down. I think she beats even Hedy Lamarr in beauty.

If you love all three of these ladies then you have great taste. I guess I never found Hedy Lamarr all that appealing. But to each his own. Everyone can't like the same beauties. So thank goodness there's different types of beauty.To me Hedy Lamarr face lacked personality and warmth. She never seemed welcoming to me. It was just a face that you could tire of quick. I always got the impression watching Hedy that she felt she didnt have to do anything but look pretty and you would just like her. Dorothy Lamour, Linda Darnell, and Gene Tierney faces had warmth, told a story, it had personality, allure and plus they had a lot of talent. They never claimed beauty held then back from being true actresses. They didn't let beauty disable them. Gene was called unquestionably the most beautiful woman in Hollywood history and Linda was called the girl with the perfect face. Billie Dove who was a silent and pre-code era star was called the most beautiful woman in her era. Dolores del Rio was also called the most beautiful so I guess there can be more then one "most beautiful." I always say all of them are the most beautiful because it's only one of them. We all got our taste and likes so we would never agree on one being the most beautiful but that's what makes the world and people interesting. Hollywood back then always had a beauty for someone's liking because everyone don't like the same thing. Some like Jean Harlow, some like Marilyn Monroe, some like Lana Turner, some like Rita Haywroth. You can't deny their beauty but we all got our favorites. I do appreciate Hollywood's versatile beauties though.

I just saw Dorothy Lamour this morning in a Carole Lombard film. I'm not a huge fan of her road movies with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby but like I always said she was great by herself and I saw more proof of that this morning. She played a Spanish beauty and sung an exciting song. She had a great singing voice and was sexy and actually looked Spanish. I always thought maybe she had mixed blood in her. She's from New Orleans and that place is filled with mixed race people.

Dorothy, Linda and Gene all played ethnic women throughout their careers and it was so believeable and even more intriguing.

I think John Garfield and Linda Darnell would have been a sight to see on screen in one of those tough film noirs. I think the chemistry between the two would have been electrifying, even more so then John and Lana Turner.

> Dorothy, Linda and Gene all played ethnic women

> throughout their careers and it was so believeable

> and even more intriguing.

>

> I think John Garfield and Linda Darnell would have

> been a sight to see on screen in one of those tough

> film noirs. I think the chemistry between the two

> would have been electrifying, even more so then John

> and Lana Turner.

Dorothy Lamour being from New Orleans certainly raises some possibilities. Dorothy of the three ladies had the least satisfying roles. To me Linda and Dorothy were the sexiest.....by far !

I guess Gene is kind of like Myrna Loy in a way. Their always the two who are consider the least sexiest. Their gorgeous ladies but I guess they never did anything sexy. Myrna and Gene are the type of ladies that you respect so much that you wouldn't dare think sexual about. Their the type of women men want to marry.

I thought some would like to see photos of these beautiful ladies to refresh our memories in case some forgot. The photos are of these glamourous beauties are so breathtaking. I hope adding these photos don't slow anyone's computer down. I tried to resize with no luck.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dorothy Lamour should have been believable in a Spanish role because she was in fact part Spanish. Her mother's name was Carmen Luiz and I believe she was half-Spanish so that would make Dorothy at least one-fourth Spanish. Dorothy was French/Irish/Spanish, I think mostly French. They usually don't count Dorothy as Latino though in those books and shows about Latinos in Hollywood probably because her ancestors were from Spain instead of Mexico, South America, Puerto Rico, etc. but the funny thing is Rita Hayworth too is Spanish from Spain and she gets counted as Latino!!

The photos are great. I wonder what it's like to be so beautiful. They don't just have beautiful faces -- they radiate beauty.

I saw "Letter to Three Wives" a few days ago, and this time I watched it for Linda Darnell's performance as the beautiful girl from the wrong side of the tracks (literally, in this case) who marries her boss. She really was very, very good. As has been discussed here and on other threads, she simply didn't get the kinds of parts she deserved from her studio - the woman could act, and wasn't given much of a chance to do it.

Thanks for the info. Interesting thing about Dorothy is she could play any race because she looked exotic but it didn't hurt her career though like other Spanish, Mexican actresses.

She was singing a Spanish song in Swing High, Swing Low and I was like wow she's really feeling that song. Now I know why! = )

As for Linda Darnell, she could act even when she didn't have the best roles she still made good with the mediocre roles. I wish Warner Bros or maybe MGM would have taken her on. Fox studios seem to only be catering to Alice Faye and Betty Grable types. The simple song and dance musical girls. If you couldn't do musicals sometimes you were left in the cold only doing a good film every few years.

How does it feel to be beautiful, well, from reading books on these three ladies it seems they didn't think much of their beauty or maybe they were being humble. I know Gene Tierney was embrassed by her beauty and the way people stared at her. I guess when you've lived with yourself and use to looking at yourself you don't see what others see when they look at you.

I saw Linda Darnell in "Forever Amber" ages ago, I wish TCM could show that movie,or that i hadn't missed it by not even realising that I receive the Fox Movie Channel when it was playing on there a few months ago,LOL! (The book is good too,it's the great-great-grandmother of the "bodice-ripper" genre,only much more literate than any of those would ever be).

Only Hedy Lamarr? Ha! In your opinion RockyRoad and your entitled to that. I see you want to start beef again by coming in this thread trying to put down the other ladies by saying Hedy is better when the subject isn't on her. You got a whole big thread on Hedy keep Hedy there.

You won't change my mind or others about loving and thinking Linda Darnell, Gene Tierney, and Dorothy Lamour are better. Just like I can't change your mind and wouldn't try. Obviously you must think Tierney, Lamour, and Darnell are important too because you wouldn't of came here trying to say Hedy is better trying to start competition (or fight with me again - if someone else was starter of this thread you wouldn't of came here) when in fact, as you know, all 4 ladies were called the most beautiful and had at least one or two good movies were they really shined. You can't change who someone likes or don't like like or put another favorites down to make your favorite look better. No need to start a competition between dead people who don't know us and who we'll never know besides this is a board to express our appreciataion, admiration, love, even dislike (within reason) for all classic stars not just one or a few. I'm not a Hedy Lamarr, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Ava Gardner, Sinatra, Clark Gable fan but I wouldn't disrespect them or their fans like you would which shows what type of person you are. Heck, I can't like all the classic stars but that's what makes us individuals - we have our different taste.

I know you don't like me but don't take it out on the lovely 3 ladies who this thread is on and their contributions. If I went to the Hedy Lamarr thread putting her down or saying someone else was better that would be disrespectful and I would be told off and I wouldn't do that. If you have no interest for the subject why go there and post? To make people mad because you don't have a life? It don't work, you won't last long here with that attitude.

Well, anyways Forever Amber is on my list to see. For some reason I loved Linda in No Way Out. She played a part of a low-class, bitter, mad at the world, a little prejudice because of her society and surrounding but she redeems herself and finds happiness. Obviously with her beauty you think what is a woman like that doing in those conditions but she made her part real and convincing.

Gene Tierney played Laura and Leave Her To Heaven so hauntingly natural. I think Laura and Leave Her To Heaven was made for her. It's almost like she wasn't even acting but just became the part and wowed everyone without even looking like she was trying. That's real acting but unfortunately none of these ladies important films are available at TCM and never will get a day dedicated to them. If anyone watches American Movie Classics, a few of Gene's movies are coming on in September. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting