Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
msladysoul

"Pretty" Funny Ladies!

There seems to be a stereotype that beautiful women can only be glamorous and sex symbols in films. Well, I find this false. I love a beauty with a sense of humor so I have to say Thelma Todd wins the title as the most beautiful comedian. I didn't like her when I first saw her but now I favor her a great deal.

Carol Hughes a brunette beauty who I just discovered never was in an A movie but she was so funny in the Warner B movies I've seen her in. Sometimes B movies are better then A movies.

Marjorie White - had she not died so young and so soon there's no telling where her career could have gone. She was great in musical comedies. Always a screen stealer and the prettiest face you ever want to see.

No one could beat Viriginia O'Brien stone face comedy, not to mention in some films she was gorgeous.

Ann Sothern is my all time favorite. What couldn't she do? She's one of the stars featured in Summer of the Stars later this month. I can't wait.

Joan Blondell I don't know have to say anything about her just see her films.

Pert Kelton and Lyda Roberti are great ladies of comedy.

Any others to add to the list?

Consider the stereotype broken.

Carole Lombard, Lucille Ball are two very obvious examples of funny, beautiful women. Then please add Norma Shearer (Idiot's Delight!), Ginger Rogers, Katharine Hepburn and Irene Dunne to the list.

Carol Burnett is my hero

and of course Lucille Ball

But I usually blank after the first ones I mention. I know more male comics. Which is a shame. But I hope to be added to the funny ladies section someday.

Maureen O' Hara was certainly pretty and funny in " The Quiet Man " , and "McLintock !, and in the latter she is seen wearing only her underwear, too !

These are all good choices for pretty funny ladies. Now, I'd like to add a few of my favorites to the list: Barbara Stanwyck (so great in comedies), Debbie Reynolds, Julia Roberts, and Eve Arden. I know there are so many more, but I don't think anyone would object to these lovelies being on the list.

Terrence.

Ann Sheridan and the already mentioned Joan Blondell. Two of the all time great ladies of film .

What do you all think of Marion Davies and Carole Lombard?

I love Marion Davies but after watching Carole Lombard today I really can't see why people regard her so highly but not Marion Davies as a great funny lady when they both had the same type of approach and personality but Marion did far more comedy, especially physical comedy. I'm not putting down Carole Lombard but after seeing so many of her movies today I felt like what's the big deal.

> What do you all think of Marion Davies and Carole

> Lombard?

>

> I love Marion Davies but after watching Carole

> Lombard today I really can't see why people regard

> her so highly but not Marion Davies as a great funny

> lady when they both had the same type of approach and

> personality but Marion did far more comedy,

> especially physical comedy. I'm not putting down

> Carole Lombard but after seeing so many of her movies

> today I felt like what's the big deal.

Davies I really have not seen enough of her to make a fair judgement. Carole Lombard is great in the about to start "To Be or Not To Be " and "Twentieth Century", with John Barrymore. I like her, but for looks I ( generally ) like darker skinned ladies !

"I love Marion Davies but after watching Carole Lombard today I really can't see why people regard her so highly but not Marion Davies as a great funny lady when they both had the same type of approach and personality but Marion did far more comedy, especially physical comedy."

Interesting. My love for Carole Lombard was confirmed today. I saw My Man Godfrey and Nothing Sacred this morning. Then Love Before Breakfast this afternoon. This was a frustrating excercise, as I didn't approve her relationship with the arrogant and selfish character of Preston Foster, and it didn't ring true that she'd end up with him. I caught some of Hands Across the Table and some of To Be or Not to Be.

Marion Davies' beauty was more common. She's very approachable, like the waitress at the local diner who calls you "hon". It's Miss Lombard's refined beauty that is so surprising -- because she's acting so goofy! One expects her to be a refined glamorpuss, but then she comes out with the most outrageous pranks and comments. It'd been years since I'd seen Godfrey and Nothing Sacre, and I was delighted to rediscover them.

I've only seen Marion Davies in Show People and Going Hollywood and was charmed by her. I've been adding her name on the "Suggest a Movie" page and will continue my campaign; I want more of her...

"My Man Godfrey" has always been my favorite Lombard picture. Last night I watched most of "We're Not Dressing." What a weird goofy picture. A pet bear. Bing Crosby singing everything at the top of his voice. Burns and Allen as nature researchers (their bits were pretty funny) who have very little to do with anything else. A lion on a deserted island. Ray Milland as a prince. But through it all Lombard looking lovely and being funny.

I really like Carole Lombard. I agree with Jack--she looks so refined and beautiful, but she's so goofy and endearing in action. I've really only seen her in MY MAN GODFREY, TO BE OR NOT TO BE, and NOTHING SACRED, so I recorded several of the films that were shown yesterday to watch later.

I caught about 15 minutes of WE'RE NOT DRESSING while I was recording it last night--I have a soft spot for weird, wacky films like that. I cracked up at Burns and Allen, too. I wish that they were in more films. And Ethel Merman--I've gotta see The Merm in anything on film, just to hear that big brassy voice.

I only wish that they had shown ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. I've never seen that one and always wanted to.

Sandy K

I agree 100% with all of the choices listed in this thread, but I have to add two names. One from now, is Ellen Degeneres; I've seen her made up for the oscars and with the right make-up, she's very pretty. Next you have to think way back in your memories to when Pearl Bailey was younger with her cutting remarks, and so dry humor. I have no idea how many movies she made, and I could be remembering from television, but she was a pretty young lady.

Let's not forget Myrna Loy and Paulette Goddard. I wish Veronica Lake had done more comedies.

i thought judy holiday was very funny,It was a shame her life was a short one.

Carole Lombard was so great in My Man Godfray!

Carole Lombard definetely is a pretty funny lady. I enjoyed immensely Lombard's day this month. I can't afford to buy a lot of tapes and DVD's so I depend on TCM and Fox Channel to supply me.Could any of you imagine Carole Lombard with her own television show in the 50's had she lived? Lucille Ball will always be a pretty funny lady but I'm use to her. I've surprisingly grown bored with her.

> I caught some of Hands Across

> the Table

I saw Hands Across the Table recently. A good little movie, with surprising chemistry between Lombard and Fred MacMurray.

I don't think Lombard is as good as Jean Harlow, but she's still pretty good. But then no-one is as good as Jean Harlow.

I loved Martha Raye.

Her work with Chaplin in "Monsieur Verdoux" (1947) is inspired. It's also my favorite Chaplin film and is one of the best dark comedies of all time in my opinion.