Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lead or Supporting Role?

1954: Humphrey Bogart has a supporting role in THE CAINE MUTINY. Robert Francis has the starring role, but that’s hard to notice because he isn’t a star (imagine someone like Matt Damon instead, and it becomes obvious). Eva Marie Saint chose to be “downlisted” to the supporting category for ON THE WATERFRONT even though some critics’ groups had considered her as a lead. You can make the GREAT ZIEGFELD argument that Brando is the only star, but I would vote for this as a lead.

I too thought Humphrey Bogart belongs in the supporting category for The Caine Mutiny.  The film certainly isn’t told from his point of view.  But I also have Van Johnson in the lead category.

After seeing Seven Samurai many times I have determined that Toshiro Mifune belongs in the leading actor category alongside Takeshi Shimura.

IMO, Eva Marie Saint, On the Waterfront is probably rightfully in the supporting category.

• 2 weeks later...

For 1955 I'm in dubio about two films:

East of Eden: James Dean is leading. I'm not sure about Julie Harris.

The Ladykillers: Alec Guinness is leading. I think Katie Johnson is leading too, while the other men are supporting.

For 1955 I'm in dubio about two films:

East of Eden: James Dean is leading. I'm not sure about Julie Harris.

The Ladykillers: Alec Guinness is leading. I think Katie Johnson is leading too, while the other men are supporting.

I have both Julie Harris and Katie Johnson as leads.  Mrs. Wilberforce opens and closes The Ladykillers and is a leading character for sure.

• Like 1

1956: Assuming Don Murray should have been nominated for BUS STOP (he wouldn’t get my vote), it should have been as a lead.

I too have Don Murray belongs in the leading actor category for Bus Stop.  He may have ended up in Oscar's supporting category because he was a relatively new star.  But his role in Bus Stop is the central one.

I have Eli Wallach as one of the leads in Baby Doll.

Several problems for 1956: 

Around the World in 80 Days: David Niven is leading. I think Cantiflas and Shirley MacLaine are supporting. 

Forbidden Planet: I think Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen are three leading roles.

Giant: Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor are leading. I'm not sure about James Dean.

Several problems for 1956: 

Around the World in 80 Days: David Niven is leading. I think Cantiflas and Shirley MacLaine are supporting. 

Forbidden Planet: I think Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen are three leading roles.

I have James Dean in the leading actor category for Giant.

• Like 1

I have Nielsen and Francis as leads, and Pidgeon as supporting, although I could see his being considered a lead as well.

Dean was a lead in Giant.

• Like 1

Last night I finally got around to watching the TCM interview of Gene Wilder by Alec Baldwin.  Asked if The Producers was an initial success, Wilder said that it wasn't. 

I'm afraid that I must take some of the blame for this. I walked out on The Producers when I went to the show to see it in 1967 and then spread the word around that it was a bad film. I know of at least three people who didn't go to see it based on what I said.

• Like 1

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 1958…

I think Shirley MacLaine belongs in the supporting actress category for Some Came Running.  She may have ended up in the leading category of the Oscars because the studio was trying to promote her as such.

I have Burl Ives as a co-lead with taylor and Newman in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

I have Burt Lancaster, David Niven, Rita Hayworth and Deborah Kerr all as leads in Separate Tables.

I have Orson Welles, Charlton Heston and Janet Leigh as leads in Touch of Evil.

I had considered Shirley MacLaine a lead in SCR, but you do have a point.

You discovered that Room at the Top must have been released in Britain in 1958, didn't you, because of the BAFTA nominations.

I had considered Shirley MacLaine a lead in SCR, but you do have a point.

You discovered that Room at the Top must have been released in Britain in 1958, didn't you, because of the BAFTA nominations.

We're going with '58 for Room at the Top, then?

Re, 1959

IMO Katharine Hepburn belongs in the supporting actress category for Suddenly, Last Summer.

Sorry, I didn't see your Room at the Top posts until now.  As you know I went with 1958. 

1960: It’s been quite a while since I saw SONS AND LOVERS, but I think only Dean Stockwell is really a lead, which moves Trevor Howard to the supporting category.

Yes, I too have Stockwell as the lead and Howard as supporting.  Oscar had Howard as a lead.  But I also have Wendy Hiller as a lead actress for Sons and Lovers.

I think we have already discussed this but I have Douglas, Olivier and Simmons all as leads in Spartacus.  It's a long movie and Simmons part would be generous in any other films.

I have Janet Leigh as supporting in Psycho as in the Oscars.