Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Saddest Movie You Ever Watched

I think I may have responded to this thread before, but if not, my vote goes to Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru. The story of the dying beauracrat is both sad, and uplifting at the same time. However, it is the performance of Takashi Shimura that not only invokes my sympathy, it steals my heart every time I watch it. He was truly an incredible actor, and I cannot see that film working without him.

One movie I remember crying at which hasn't been mentioned here is A THOUSAND CLOWNS. Jason Robards is a writer who has dropped out of the rat race and is perfectly happy living his rather nontraditional life. Then his orphaned nephew comes to live with him. To be able to keep the nephew he has to get back into his straitjacket suit and go back to work. He loves the kid so much he does it. God. I'm tearing up thinking about it.

The "movie" I've cried at most is a three-part LASSIE story called "Lassie's Odyssey." It's like LASSIE COME HOME, only done for the TV series. At the end Timmy finally accepts that Lassie is never coming home again and starts to bury her toys...and then Lassie comes running over the hill barking. I sit down with a box of Kleenex ready to watch that one.

I can't remember if I responded to this thread back in the dark ages or not, but I'd have to say:

Classic film: Doctor Zhivago

Modern Film: The Bridges of Madison County, The English Patient.

Impossible for me to get through the endings of these films without crying, no matter how many times I watch.

Sundays and Cybele (1963) Hardy Kreuger plays a shell-shocked soldier who has a sweet and innocent relationship with 12 year-old Cybele. The reaction of the small-mnded villagers and the ultimate destruction they bring to these two, is one of the saddest ending I've ever seen

" The "movie" I've cried at most is a three-part LASSIE story called "Lassie's Odyssey." It's like LASSIE COME HOME, only done for the TV series. At the end Timmy finally accepts that Lassie is never coming home again and starts to bury her toys...and then Lassie comes running over the hill barking. I sit down with a box of Kleenex ready to watch that one. "

WoW! I always find a gem of a post that brings me back back back in time. It was yours LindaY. I remember that Lassie episode. I can still see Timmy running. Those two were in love... ( and I was totally in love, IN LOVE with Jon Provost and Billy Gray and Paul Petersen and Bobby Diamond and Johnny Washbrook and TOTALLY smitten with the little boy in "The Rifleman"). See if you can figure out the tv shows those young stars were in.

Thank you for bringing up that episode. It brought me back.

Ooohhh, Dr Zhivago-me too. It has that same "star-crossed lovers" story as "Immortal Beloved". I know that a lot of movies have that story, but it doesn't make me cry unless it's especially well-done and I can really care that the characters lost each other. Most times that plot in a movie just makes me think "Oh suck it up, if you'd wanted to be together so badly you wouldn't have been such a martyr/have allowed such petty things to drive you away from your true love/been so outrageously stupid" (like in soap operas-I can't watch them because the characters are soooo unbelievably stupid-they don't even ask simple questions of the other person which would save lots of misunderstandings and grief. How stupid can people be???). I only feel for the characters when things truly beyond their control separated them. GWTW doesn't really make me cry anymore, but it does make me melancholy and wistful. Or I should say more specifically, the only time I still cry during GWTW is tears of anger when Scarlett beats the poor old horse. That makes me hate her for that moment.

Re: All Mine to Give...

Hmmm - I've been wanting to see this movie, but hadn't gotten to it. Please warn of spoilers in the future, folks, if you're going to spill the bean on plot detail. I had the impression from what I'd read that this was a warm and nostalgic family movie. Sounds like a boo hoo fest!

Sad movies...Old Yeller, The Yearling, The Day of the Dolphin, (or any other "animal dies and characters learn lessons from it" movies)

maudlin but maybe effective for some...Miracle in the Rain

pretty sad but not as sad as the original source...West Side Story

Oh, yes forgot about (someone mentions it here) Splendor in the Grass. Still touched by that ending whenever I see it.

and of course Imitation of Life. Maybe its manipulation, but it sure is effective if you allow it to be.

THE SADDEST MOVIES ARE:

1. LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMEN, STARTING JOAN FONTAINE, HAS ANY

BODY EVERY SEEN THIS MOVIE, I HAVE NOT SEEN IT IN 20 YEARS.

2.RANDOM HARVERST WITH GREER CARSON,RONALD COLEMAN, SUSAN PETERS

ALL GREAT.

3 WUTHERING HEIGHTSMERLE OBERON, LAURENCE OLIVIER, THE BEST

4STELLA DALLAS, THE GREAT BARBARA STANWYCK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...